• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Former Colchester United boss John McGreal is keen on Southend United job

Please no!
After match crap he used to spout and used to play one up front after being successful with two......seemed to contradict what was obvious to the fans !

Please no!
After match crap he used to spout and used to play one up front after being successful with two......seemed to contradict what was obvious to the fans !
Most football fans are emotionally driven simpletons so you can't rely on what's obvious to them

Reactions: Jai
John McGreal is a decent manager but he's not for us at this time.

The absolute last thing we need is the knives to be out for the new manager after 10 games because he has a Col Ewe connection - and our first 10 games will be a struggle.

We need to bring someone in who can rebuilt that connection between the club and the fans. Yes that means it will be someone with no experience but ask Mike Duff, Ryan Lowe, Michael Flynn about that first managerial job at a club where you have an affinity. And of course Steve Tilson.

Football management is hard but not complex. Experience is always useful but sometimes it's just about being a good fit for the right club. McGreal can't possibly be that fit for us, through no fault of his own.

He wouldn't be my first choice but I certainly wouldn't grumble if Ron decided to bring him in. He's done well with a youthful team at this level and having watching the play-offs games, he can consider himself unlucky not to have got to Wembley. I get that some won't have him purely because of his connections with that lot but personally that doesn't bother me.. and besides those that have made the step up from one Essex team to the other have usually done well, ala John White for example.

It would also add a bit of spice to the derby with John I'm sure desperate to get one over them after parting ways.

He did a good job there, my reservation would be that he was apparently very interested and went all out for the Tranmere job, and now that has gone elsewhere he has come out to say he is interested in our job, doesn’t smack as committed to the cause so to speak.

Everyone has a right to do There thing and give themselve options, just would have preferred that sort if declaration before failing to get Tranmere.

I’d rather we appointed him than went for a left field name like Larsson. At least John McGreal knows the league and likes to work with youth so it fits well. But he is not top of my list and I would rather we took a punt on Fagan or Maher.

I’d rather we appointed him than went for a left field name like Larsson. At least John McGreal knows the league and likes to work with youth so it fits well. But he is not top of my list and I would rather we took a punt on Fagan or Maher.
Agree would rather him than a Larson, Campbell or another ex high profile player with very little or no experience in the division.

Again, no point even discussing this one, as Ron said the new manager must have a love for the club, and not someone that just wants a managers job. So that rules out McGreal.

Again, no point even discussing this one, as Ron said the new manager must have a love for the club, and not someone that just wants a managers job. So that rules out McGreal.

Who is left though if Barrett, Fagan and Maher aren’t allegedly in the frame.

He did a good job there, my reservation would be that he was apparently very interested and went all out for the Tranmere job, and now that has gone elsewhere he has come out to say he is interested in our job, doesn’t smack as committed to the cause so to speak.

Everyone has a right to do There thing and give themselve options, just would have preferred that sort if declaration before failing to get Tranmere.
To be fair though, he is a scouser and Tranmere had obvious attractions given he played for them for 9 years. As a second option, why not Southend? It's close to his current base and as a professional manager he needs a job.

You dont have to have An association with the club to come in and love the club, i took it to mean whoever comes in must live the club 24/7 and do the job like that too. There is a lot of criteria and not all will be met but if you get 90% of that then take the guy and the rest will follow

Someone posted it’s not him or Maher. Hence why I put allegedly.
Ah yes, I remember now, it was Murkey_Mouse. I don't recall him saying where his rumour came from though, so in the absence of confirmation I reckon he's still in!

To be fair though, he is a scouser and Tranmere had obvious attractions given he played for them for 9 years. As a second option, why not Southend? It's close to his current base and as a professional manager he needs a job.
I dont disagree with anything you say, just sounds like after the horse has bolted, if he wa interested even as second choice say so, it could have forced Tranmere into a decision fo him sooner but at least it doesn’t sound like i am only interested as they gave the job elsewhere

I dont disagree with anything you say, just sounds like after the horse has bolted, if he wa interested even as second choice say so, it could have forced Tranmere into a decision fo him sooner but at least it doesn’t sound like i am only interested as they gave the job elsewhere
Fairy muff.

Back