• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Southend United skipper Chris Barker dies aged 39

Thought he was a class act when he came and played for us. Always gave his all. RIP Barks

Thoughts very much with the family and friends of Chris, horrible news to start the year.

As a player he was the right captain at the right time. Fully committed to the cause from day one and was the on pitch leader of that incredible team built by Sturrock to keep us in L2 when all the odds were stacked against us. He also led the side out in our first Wembley cup final. A team of players with Chris Barker's attitude would be a great thing right now.

RIP Chris.

So tragic. At a time when we hear of players being unprofessional off the pitch, and being a bad influence and not listening to the Manager. Here was a player who was 100% professional and totally committed to doing the best for his club and his Manager. He just loved to play and be in the team, and be around team mates. Things leak out, but I've never heard anything bad about Chris Barker. All clubs could do with a few Chris Barker's.

DREADFUL NEWS. He was an excellent captain during a tough time for the club. Was captain when my son was mascot against Crewe in the play off game at Roots Hall, scoring our second goal

Love the comment "Less educated fan" so true on many things

Maybe just maybe it might stop home fans shouting abuse at players, as no one knows how fragile their minds are when they leave the pitch, similar cyber warriors who abuse players without knowing anything about them on sites

I hope the club does something for the families even if it is a match versus Col Utd

Very sad news

Nice words from Mark Phillips on Twitter as well. Think this has hit him hard

An honest pro. I never saw him just go through the motions in a match. Gave his all and was a good servant to the club. Very sad news. I hope we have a minute silence for him.

Bloody hell thats terrible! :(
Always liked him as a player. An honest pro and did us proud.

Shocking news. I sit just next to the directors box and he was always a pleasure to talk too whenever he was out injured. Thoughts with his friends and family. RIP Chris

I knew Chris from his time with QPR.
Always struck me as a decent, friendly guy who gave his all.
What a tragedy for him, his family and friends.

Shocking. And only 39 aswell, that’s no age.

Only ever spoke to him on one occasion, but from that alone, it was obvious that he was a very humble, down-to-earth guy.

Thank you for your time with us Chris, and may you rest in peace.

Hopefully the club will do something fitting to honour him.

skysports-chris-barker-obit_4881335.jpg

RIP Chris,

Thank you for your 142 League and Cup appearances for Southend United between 5th August 2010 and 9th August 2013, he was also voted Player of the Year in the 2010/11 season, and was appointed Captain in his second season.

Chris scored his first and only goal for Southend as they were defeated by Crewe Alexandra in the 2011–12 League Two play-off 2nd leg at Roots Hall.

Honours

Club

Cardiff City
  • 2002–03 Second Division play-off winner
Southend United
  • Football League Trophy runner-up: 2013
Individual
  • 2004–05 Cardiff City Player of the Year
  • 2010–11 Southend United Player of the Year
Chris Barker RIP.jpg
Chris Barker after scoring his only goal for Southend United against Crewe Alexandra

Chris Barker RIP 2.jpg
Southend United's Captain Chris Barker RIP

Chris Barker RIP 3.jpg
A proud moment for Chris Barker walking the Southend United team out as Captain at Wembley in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final against Crewe Alexandra.

I remember one time at RH he decided to bring the ball forward (highly unusual for him) and went unchallenged before finding himself on the corner of the box with one player to beat. A quick and/or skillful player might have been able to beat the defender and get a cross or shot off, but Barks just looked so out of his comfort zone it was just very surreal and funny. I shouted ‘skin him’ which got some laughs in the south upper. I just loved how he knew his strengths and limitations and played in the way that got the best for the team.
A quiet captain who led by example on and off the field, guided us to our first visit to Wembley, and helped the club through a tough period in our history. Class act, and a true professional. RIP

Last edited:
Back