• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Southend United skipper Chris Barker dies aged 39

Just awful, so sad, numbing.
Barks always came across as an absolute top bloke and well respected by his team mates.

Mental health is an absolute ******* and Christmas/New Year is a particularly
bad time when you are suffering.

What a shock and very sad news... Was a real 100% player for us at another horrible time for the club, always approachable and a true professional for the club

Thought he was a good player and leader.. we all have to go but 39 ! cut/taken early... RIP.

what sad news to start the new year with, always 100% committed to everything he did

gutted

Horrible news.

I remember the live game on Sky in 2012 where he cleared the ball off the goal line with his hand to rescue a 0-0 draw! That summed him up, a proper player.

RIP Chris.

So sad for his family and friends. I have dipped into the archives to remind myself what a solid and valued Professional Sportsman he was. I copy the first team sheet he appeared on the and match report on the circumstances he took a chance on when he joined the Blues because the dreadful state the Club was in.

Saturday, 7 August 2010
Npower League Two
Home Team Score Away Team Time
Southend1-1StockportFT(HT 0-0)

Southend
  • 01 Morris
  • 02 Clohessy
  • 15 Phillipsyellow card
  • 16 Prosser
  • 23 Barker
  • 04 Simpson (Zaaboub 71)
  • 07 Grant
  • 08 Easton
  • 17 Soares (Paterson 89)
  • 10 Corryellow card
  • 28 Spenceryellow card (Sturrock 72)
Substitutes
  • 24 Evans,
  • 05 Coughlan,
  • 18 Herd,
  • 11 Zaaboub,
  • 09 Paterson,
  • 20 Crawford,
  • 21 Sturrock

Blair Sturrock grabbed a dramatic late equaliser as Southend secured a share of the points against Stockport.
Sturrock, son of Shrimpers manager Paul, fired home from inside the area deep into injury-time.

That cancelled out George Donnelly's controversial strike which was allowed despite the assistant referee flagging for offside earlier in the move.
Boss Sturrock was sent to the stands for the closing minutes following his protests at the County goal.

With both sides relegated from League One last season, amid major financial difficulties, the clash at Roots Hall offered the opportunity for a fresh start under new managers.
Sturrock managed to register 17 new players on Friday and included nine of them in his starting XI.

Scott Spencer and Anthony Grant were the only two starters who were with the club last season.

Rest in peace Chris

Devastating news. What a thoroughly decent, honest, professional, genuinely nice man CB was. Honoured that we had you in our side for three years. Met Chris just the once whilst watching a training session at B&L. Chris behaved liked he'd known me for years. You will not be forgotten by the Shrimpers Chris. RIP.

Last edited:
Awful awful news...can this season getting any worse? RIP Chris, we could certainly do with some of your steel at the moment. Condolences to your loved ones.

Shocking. And only 39 aswell, that’s no age.

Only ever spoke to him on one occasion, but from that alone, it was obvious that he was a very humble, down-to-earth guy.

Thank you for your time with us Chris, and may you rest in peace.

Hopefully the club will do something fitting to honour him.

The Fans on here could, I am quite happy to arrange it. We could have a collection for either flowers or whatever his family chooses. I know he was only with us for a short period of time but was one of those guys you immediately warmed to as him just being himself on and off the pitch.

You can tell by this thread alone the respect people had for him. Such tragic circumstances and at such a young age it is hard to get your head around.

If you wish to add to a fund just use the Green Donate Button in the Nav bar adding CB in the txt when paying and let's see how we go. You can donate anonymously if you wish.

I will start the ball rolling with £10.

The Fans on here could, I am quite happy to arrange it. We could have a collection for either flowers or whatever his family chooses. I know he was only with us for a short period of time but was one of those guys you immediately warmed to as him just being himself on and off the pitch.

You can tell by this thread alone the respect people had for him. Such tragic circumstances and at such a young age it is hard to get your head around.

If you wish to add to a fund just use the Green Donate Button in the Nav bar adding CB in the txt when paying and let's see how we go. You can donate anonymously if you wish.

I will start the ball rolling with £10.

So, so sad.

A great idea - I have donated £5. Thanks.

Back