• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Southend United skipper Chris Barker dies aged 39

The Fans on here could, I am quite happy to arrange it. We could have a collection for either flowers or whatever his family chooses. I know he was only with us for a short period of time but was one of those guys you immediately warmed to as him just being himself on and off the pitch.

You can tell by this thread alone the respect people had for him. Such tragic circumstances and at such a young age it is hard to get your head around.

If you wish to add to a fund just use the Green Donate Button in the Nav bar adding CB in the txt when paying and let's see how we go. You can donate anonymously if you wish.

I will start the ball rolling with £10.

Such sad news.

Luggy called and they came; a motley crew that became a team under a truly professional captain and nice guy who played his heart out for our team.

I've added £5.

Such sad news and him being so young too.
I can only imagine what this poor soul was feeling and to feel that was the only option shows we really have not actually got that far with mental health and the issues it surrounds.
Hope you are at peace now Chris.
Rest well

❤️❤️

The Fans on here could, I am quite happy to arrange it. We could have a collection for either flowers or whatever his family chooses. I know he was only with us for a short period of time but was one of those guys you immediately warmed to as him just being himself on and off the pitch.

You can tell by this thread alone the respect people had for him. Such tragic circumstances and at such a young age it is hard to get your head around.

If you wish to add to a fund just use the Green Donate Button in the Nav bar adding CB in the txt when paying and let's see how we go. You can donate anonymously if you wish.

I will start the ball rolling with £10.

I'm not that techy and have never used Pay Pal in my life but I think I have just made a £5 donation via a card?

Put a note on the first page saying f0r the Chris Barker fund.

I'm not that techy and have never used Pay Pal in my life but I think I have just made a £5 donation via a card?

Put a note on the first page saying f0r the Chris Barker fund.

You did indeed sir and thank you.

You can of course as the gentleman above has just done, pay by card in the donate button.

So sad. can't help but feel with the money in football more could be done to support what must be a massive change when you stop playing. All be it who knows the true background. What we do know is that he was a model professional and a smashing chap.

Remember going down to watch the pre-season friendly against Eastbourne Borough which I think was his first outing with us (he hadn't signed but I think it was pretty imminent).

What id give for a player of his calibre in our current defence, great player and a great loss

RiP Chris, if every player had his heart and determination to do well for our team we would not be in the mess we are now that's for sure.
Loved watching him play.

It must be so hard to stop doing your job at such a young age and adjusting to what comes next. For most of us that doesn't come till we are in our sixties. The good honest pros such as Chris get lost in all the nonsense we see in the PL.

Appalling news, what a tragic, senseless waste. Only met him once, and he was lovely. I am sure he had so much experience to offer, and his loss is devastating for everyone, particularly his family and friends. I just wish more could be done to help, surely with all the money in football more attention could be put into providing support for retired professionals. Rest in peace Chris, you will be missed.

Lots of good memories of Chris, a true professional and gave his all in every game. RIP Chris, thoughts are with his family and friends.

Very sad news. Held in high regard by team-mates and fans of all the clubs he played for. The team Sturrock assembled very quickly doesn’t perhaps get the credit it deserves, and Barker was a big part of it. One of only 3 men to lead Southend out at a final.... RIP Chris....

Col U fan dropping by here. Absolutely shocking news this morning, Chris was highly respected in his one season with us and often considered the finest left back the clubs ever had. I’m not just saying that, any U’s fan who says their greatest XI will nearly always include him.

He played a heck of a lot of games for Southend and I was interested to come on and see what your fans had to say about him and it’s clear he was held in very high regard as I’d expect.

Anyway, I imagine we’ll see you next season. I haven’t come on here to gloat about your league position, I think you have a good manager and can get you ready for a decent season in L2 next year. L1 can be unforgiving at times.

Best wishes and RIP to a hero of both our clubs.

Very sad - great player and such a nice man. Always gave his best for our club - so sorry to hear this news. Donation made

So sad and I can only echo all of the worthy tributes made Chris was not a member of SUEPA tho we had recently sought to make contact to seek to get him to join our ever-growing band and am sure he would have, sadly we will not now get the chance to re-connect with him.

In many ways this terrible event just makes me more determined than ever for SUEPA to re-connect with our former players and continue to show them our appreciation in whatever way we can of their time with us

RIP Chris, forever a Shrimper

This hit me really hard :Sad:

A great player, man and servant to this club. If only we had more like him in the current squad. My heart goes out to his family, friends and ex-teammates.

I know it’s all speculation at the moment unless it’s been confirmed and I’ve missed it. But mental health is serious chaps. If you’re struggling or know anyone who might be, reach out. You aren’t alone.

Rest in peace Chris. Once a Shrimper, always a Shrimper ?

Not much more to say than others have said. If it was suicide just highlights what we all need to in discussing mental health, especially us blokes in that age bracket, the more people feel they can talk and open up about their own personal demons the more we have a chance of reducing people making these decisions in future.

RIP Chris

As others have said....boy could we have done with him in our defence this season.

Heartbreaking.

Like others, I spoke to him and had huge respect for him.

My chat was shortly before he left - he was sad but not bitter.

Absolute gentleman and again, as others have said, how we could do with a Chris Barker now.

RIP Chris.

Back