• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Southend United skipper Chris Barker dies aged 39

Happy to buy a ticket and donate to the cause (over 50 years a supporter) with some great names returning to Roots Hall but won't actually attend if this idiot is playing - not fit to ever wear our shirt again and certainly not in a team remembering such a great professional player as Barks - cannot be mentioned in the same sentence for me.

This would be a shame. Bilel and Chris played alongside each other, quite literally, and Bilel learnt a lot from Chris. You can think what you like about him but the fact that he has agreed to come and play in this fund raising game speaks volumes - same as everyone else - about the respect they had for Barks.

A GAME organised in memory of former Southend United skipper Chris Barker has been delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

More...

I found some old pictures a couple of weeks back of games we had been to and in them were a few photos of Chris.
So sad but what must have that poor guy been going through that made him feel so alone

I found some old pictures a couple of weeks back of games we had been to and in them were a few photos of Chris.
So sad but what must have that poor guy been going through that made him feel so alone
Sometimes it happens to the people you least expect.

Football clearly runs in the family, his elder brother Richie was a striker for several league clubs and now Richies son Charlie is an up and coming young defender with Charlton. Chris was a very good player for us and of course for yourselves and always came across as a very happy balanced kinda guy. But it sounds like losing his parents was the catalyst for much of this, who knows, all we can say is he is not hurting any more. RIP Chris.

Football clearly runs in the family, his elder brother Richie was a striker for several league clubs and now Richies son Charlie is an up and coming young defender with Charlton. Chris was a very good player for us and of course for yourselves and always came across as a very happy balanced kinda guy. But it sounds like losing his parents was the catalyst for much of this, who knows, all we can say is he is not hurting any more. RIP Chris.
This is the most dangerous kind of thing.

I lost my Mum to Cancer just 2 days after he died, and I had previously lost my Dad to Cancer only 6yrs beforehand. I'm a similar age to him (i'm 36) and its just so tough and you do feel so alone. Then having Lockdown so close after, my heart goes out to him and the rest of his family.

I lost my Mum to Cancer just 2 days after he died, and I had previously lost my Dad to Cancer only 6yrs beforehand. I'm a similar age to him (i'm 36) and its just so tough and you do feel so alone. Then having Lockdown so close after, my heart goes out to him and the rest of his family.

My dad died of Cancer aged 56 when I was 30 ( 1983) I was the eldest of 5 kids my youngest sister was just 14. My mum was also 56 at that time,she said she didn’t want to marry again and now all these years later she is still living independently in her own home at 92!

RIP Barks ? a proper warrior. Still can’t quite believe he’s gone.

So sorry mate, can’t imagine how difficult that must be for you ? lost my old man nearly 4 years ago and it’s strange how alone you feel when it’s a parent. Hope you’re doing good.

Back