• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Formula 1 Overhaul - Most Wins to decide title

SUBBlue

Manager
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7948455.stm

Bernie Ecclestone announced today that the points system for F1 has changed, bascially the title winner won't be decided on points but on the number of wins the drivers have.

The idea is obviously to award the title to the most deserving driver but looks like consistency now counts for nothing.

Theoretically the following could happen:
There are 17 races:

Driver A: Wins 9 races & retires in 8 = 90points

Driver B: Wins 8 Races & finished 2nd in the other 9=152 points

Result is Driver A wins the title.

Ecclestone is a little dictator IMAO who has ruined the sport for lots of fans (including me)

Not to mention a limit of £30M spending, which apparently, is 10% of the spend by the big boys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7948455.stm

Bernie Ecclestone announced today that the points system for F1 has changed, bascially the title winner won't be decided on points but on the number of wins the drivers have.

The idea is obviously to award the title to the most deserving driver but looks like consistency now counts for nothing.

Theoretically the following could happen:
There are 17 races:

Driver A: Wins 9 races & retires in 8 = 90points

Driver B: Wins 8 Races & finished 2nd in the other 9=152 points

Result is Driver A wins the title.

Ecclestone is a little dictator IMAO who has ruined the sport for lots of fans (including me)

But as Bernie says, if a bloke is running in second and likely to finish there, he is only 2 points down on the winner, so the incentive to overtake is minimal. With the new system a win is worth far more and may encourage the second place bloke to try and win, so lets give it a try before making a final judgement.

Overtaking should improve, in theory, as there are quite severe restrictions on downforce, truely 'slick' tires and the new Kers system

Overtaking should improve, in theory, as there are quite severe restrictions on downforce, truely 'slick' tires and the new Kers system

But everyone worries about overtaking but it is an art that needs to be treasured. If you watch bikes they overtake anytime all the time. If F1 cars overtook each other 5 or 6 times a lap then the skill has gone out of it.

What the step doesn't deal with, however, is the issue of races decided by the suits days after it's over. Massa was the grateful recipient and Hamilton the victim last season, which negates the argument of the Brazilian 'winning' more races than the Englishman (especially as Kimi Raikkonen had to almost stop to let Massa through for the win in Japan). Much like UEFA and FIFA hating English dominance of the Champions League, the FIA cannot stand McLaren winning races and titles, and the fact that this time round it was a British driver that won it too, in spite of every unjust punishment thrown at them.

The irony this season, though, is that McLaren have a dog of a car so amending the rules to suit a Ferrari driver (which, pit lane staff readily agree, is the driving force behind this) has already been a waste of time. What's really interesting, though, is the emergence of Brawn GP, with a genuinely quick car and two experienced drivers. Oh, wouldn't that be a fitting irony if another British team went in there and, whilst winning races also drove the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance) round the bend!

The £30m 'option' limit is a moot point. I'd be interested to see what 'advantages' will be given to those team adhering to it as I'm certain they would never go so far as to put Ferrari, who will never agree to it, at a disadvantage in this way. What will Toyota do with their frighteningly massive budget?

So many imponderables, so many more chances to make Max and Bernie tear their hair out further by denying the Prancing Horse again. It promises to be a hell of a season.

if it aint broke, dont fix it. How was last season not exciting enough, with the title being decided on the last bend, of the last race?

if it aint broke, dont fix it. How was last season not exciting enough, with the title being decided on the last bend, of the last race?

Becasue a British driver, racing for a British team, finished on top. If Lewis hadn't won , there wouldn't have been any changes, you can count on that.

I am the worst person for change, I hate it when things change but as I have grown older and wiser I have learnt to see how things go then decide whether I like it or hate it. We shall see how this gets on.... I remember it being desribed before as like a Gold, Silver, Bronze system!

But as Bernie says, if a bloke is running in second and likely to finish there, he is only 2 points down on the winner, so the incentive to overtake is minimal. With the new system a win is worth far more and may encourage the second place bloke to try and win, so lets give it a try before making a final judgement.

Didn't do Hamilton any good trying to overtake for the lead in the 2008 Belgian race - he got demoted to 3rd...

Same could be said for a title contender who qualifies towards the back end of the grid through no fault of his own as happened on a few occasions last year.

What's the point of knocking your nuts out for 65 laps to get 5th place in order to get a few points when you can sit back & save your engine for the next race to get a win whilst your rival has a worn out engine.

Will the runner up be decided by the driver that finishes 2nd most times?

this is what annoys me, the last couple of seasons have been so so so exciting! the season before last, 3 drivers we in it on the last race, last year it was 2. why change it?!! Realistically, if one team gets a fairly good run together the season could be over with 4-5 races to go

I do really try to like F1, but they are making it hard for themselves here. Its a fooking silly rule and i hope it last a season and that is all!!

Farcical, there's just over a week to the new season & the rules are being messed around with like that.

Have to say that I'm glad someone saw sense - however don't discount it for 2010.

Back