• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kent Shrimper

Mike Reid
Last week you will remember my post regarding turning Roots Hall back into an intimidating place and thank you all for the feedback given.

I sent off our wishes and wants to Ron Martin who actually called me back after our first game of the season when i was horrified with the atmosphere within the Hall.

Today i received an email back from Ron (see below) and fingers crossed we are moving in the right direction.

I also think the club and Ron should be applauded for listening to us and not just sitting back and letting it carry on.

Dear Andy

Just a note to let you know that I have now received the response to my consultations and having not only considered the input from Shrimper Zone but also internally.

I have also held conversations with our Acoustic Ground Consultant, who my property group has used previously, and we are looking at amplifying the Home Support whilst, of course, remaining within Football League regulations having also spoken to my colleague who is the Operations Director at the FL.

We will be consulting further with fans next week but intend to implement these proposals as quickly as reasonably possible.

Thank you for your continued input, I will of course keep you in the loop.

Kind regards

RM

I tell you what, you just never know when you're going to need your Acoustic Ground Consultant...

Keep up the efforts Andy.

Nice one, Andy. Now all we need is good filtering software to make sure that the Moaning Minnies don't get amplified too...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,19:03)]I have also held conversations with our Acoustic Ground Consultant, who my property group has used previously, and <span style='color:blue'>we are looking at amplifying the Home Support </span>whilst, of course, remaining within Football League regulations having also spoken to my colleague who is the Operations Director at the FL.

Kind regards

RM
What are we talking about here? strategically placed microphones? that will be good, when we are chanting &quot;the referee&#39;s a ******&#33;&quot;

... or is this the issue of drums in certain parts of the ground?

Can you elaborate KS

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Aug. 20 2004,20:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,19:03)]I have also held conversations with our Acoustic Ground Consultant, who my property group has used previously, and <span style='color:blue'>we are looking at amplifying the Home Support </span>whilst, of course, remaining within Football League regulations having also spoken to my colleague who is the Operations Director at the FL.

Kind regards

RM
What are we talking about here? strategically placed microphones? that will be good, when we are chanting &quot;the referee&#39;s a ******&#33;&quot;

... or is this the issue of drums in certain parts of the ground?

Can you elaborate KS

wow.gif
Tech,

When i spoke to Ron the first time he wanted to recreate the accoustics of the North Bank for the rest of the stadium and try and dampen down the accoustics in the North Bank.

Obviously with developing property you are constantly looking at noise reduction, so i imagine that the consultant has been working on this and the reverse effect of increasing noise.

As far as drums go i dont know. However if drums were to appear i think it would be a designated area rather than the next time you go to the Hall theres a guy next to you banging away. However thats my own opinion.

We will see when more becomes apparent next week.

I still maintain that having a winning team ON the pitch will go a long way to help improve the atmosphere at Roots Hall. Let&#39;s face it, 21 defeats at home in the last two seasons does not exactly pull &#39;em in and I don&#39;t care how many drums are a-banging or what tuneless little ditty is playing over the ageing tannoy system ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,21:10)]I still maintain that having a winning team ON the pitch will go a long way to help improve the atmosphere at Roots Hall. Let&#39;s face it, 21 defeats at home in the last two seasons does not exactly pull &#39;em in and I don&#39;t care how many drums are a-banging or what tuneless little ditty is playing over the ageing tannoy system ...

WS
couldnt agree more mike, however thats one area we as fans cant control. However getting behind the team and making some noise is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,21:21)]couldnt agree more mike, however thats one area we as fans cant control. However getting behind the team and making some noise is.
Of course it is. But unless there&#39;s a winning formula on the pitch you are NEVER going to get the full backing from the crowd. The the detractors, the fans who think they know best, the moaning minnies, the foul-mouth cabals of morons incapable of lending their support to the team will prevail ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,21:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,21:21)]couldnt agree more mike, however thats one area we as fans cant control. However getting behind the team and making some noise is.
Of course it is. But unless there&#39;s a winning formula on the pitch you are NEVER going to get the full backing from the crowd. The the detractors, the fans who think they know best, the moaning minnies, the foul-mouth cabals of morons incapable of lending their support to the team will prevail ...

WS
Indeed, how you meant to be all cheery and loud when we are losing 2-0 or putting losing the ball everytime we get it.

I thought the atmosphere last season at the Hall wasn&#39;t too bad.

Bear in mind all our supporters are generally spread over quite a large space its quite hard to generate a real atmosphere. Take Huddersfield most of there supporters go in one stand and a section of that stand starts the atmosphere and the rest join in, if everyone was in one stand no doubt we&#39;d get a much improved atmosphere but unless we get 7-10 thousand, get everyone in the same stand or win games regulary then i don&#39;t see how the atmosphere can be improved alot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 20 2004,21:48)]if everyone was in one stand no doubt we&#39;d get a much improved atmosphere but unless we get 7-10 thousand, get everyone in the same stand or win games regulary then i don&#39;t see how the atmosphere can be improved alot.
Winning games regularly would be the catalyst to a decent atmosphere at Roots Hall ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,22:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 20 2004,21:48)]if everyone was in one stand no doubt we&#39;d get a much improved atmosphere but unless we get 7-10 thousand, get everyone in the same stand or win games regulary then i don&#39;t see how the atmosphere can be improved alot.
Winning games regularly would be the catalyst to a decent atmosphere at Roots Hall ...

WS
Indeed and when was the last time that happened ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 20 2004,23:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Aug. 20 2004,23:06)]
Indeed and when was the last time that happened ?
At a guess I'd say the first half of the 1993/94 season ... just before the Fat Man leapt aboard the Brummy boat to poundsville ...

WS
So we are due for a winning streak then ...

Seriously though, can you really expect to have a great atmosphere, what have people had to cheer about in the last decade.

Would this be an 8 , 16 or 24 mixdown we&#39;re going for here ?

I feel we should Pan the East Black more so they sound like their in the West lots of bass make it sound warm .

(Why do i fell like im in an Episode of Mysterer Science theatre 3000
rock.gif
)

There has been a problem with the atmosphere at RH ever since the North Bank became the away end. It doesn&#39;t take a qualified acoustics expert to work out that a curved corrugated iron roof is going to send sound out across the pitch whereas a flat but angled roof as the South Stand has will send the sound upwards.

I can&#39;t imagine how RM plans to dampen the sound coming from the away fans, unless he&#39;s planning to gag them all on entry to the ground, but someone trained in acoustics could probably find a pretty cheap way of getting the sound from the South Stand to travel out onto the pitch more without breaking any regulations.

Failing that, we could always hand out megaphones to the guys in the South Upper....

As already pointed out, winning games at the &#39;Hall will go a long way to lifting the gloom or &#39;flat&#39; atmosphere that can haunt home games. Give everyone something to cheer or failing that, just give 100%

With reference to the north bank acoustics, removing the roof would certainly dampen the spirits &amp; moral of opposing fans [especially if it&#39;s raining&#33;]. However, there are probably only 5-6 teams that will bring more than a few hundred fans away with them anyway... also, when we have a local derby such as Cambridge [70 miles] tomorrow, we normally get a higher home support to [try to] drown them out&#33;

I think whatever Ron does, it will only marginally inprove the atmosphere... the rest is down to us supporting the team through thick and thin&#33;
blues.gif

It is my strong belief that if this club were to go back in time and change anything, it would be the conversion of the North Bank to seating in 1994.

How can you expect people to be able to provide the kind of fervent support when stuck in seated stands away from their mates? the flexibility was lost and therefore the atmosphere was lost.

I never had the opportunity to stand in the North Bank, yet I see what it meant to people.

Perhaps the biggest mistake MD will make is the lack of terracing at the home end in the new stadium. Having the NB back is pure fantasy. I am a realist, I believe that terracing for Southend fans is a thing of the past, but I would love to be proved wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stid @ Aug. 21 2004,00:21)]I can&#39;t imagine how RM plans to dampen the sound coming from the away fans, unless he&#39;s planning to gag them all on entry to the ground, but someone trained in acoustics could probably find a pretty cheap way of getting the sound from the South Stand to travel out onto the pitch more without breaking any regulations.
Well even so most of the time the away fans don&#39;t make too much noice esp as alot of teams bring 50-100.

Back