• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Had to be back by 5.30 so could not ask all the questions I wanted too. I do get the impression BL are the right company to make this happen and they have a good track record. They will be a better option than Ron and Sainsbury's, who don't forget stitched up Bristol Rovers as well as us. Here's a few points I asked

They hope to have the plans in by the end of the year, start next Autumn and complete the build within a year. of course that time scale is dependant on the council passing the new plans first time. I personally won't be betting on that.

The main stand as you have heard will be delayed. It will have the hotel and flats, lots of corporate and various lounges but seats for ordinary fans as well...Just like every other new stadium. Smithy has already accused Ron of a conspiracy but the money earner in the stadium section is the flats and the hotel so its in Ron's interest to finish the main stand ASP.

If we have to have three sides for a time we will still have more capacity than RH, which generates virtually sod all in corporate at the moment anyway...so what are we loosing. Their will be bars for fans in the three sides anyway so if your sitting behind the goal with scaffold down one side for a few years in the long term its hardly a 'Disgrace'

The stadium will not be designed for standing....the stands are too shallow and the rules are if you have seating for 5,000 then you have to have facilities for 7,500 if you go to standing. They will not risk the extra cost in the facilities when standing may never be granted. I did ask why can't you just allow the same 5,000 to stand, which they said could work talked of lost revenue etc. I didn't have time to check whether the height of the steps would still be a factor so that's a question someone may want to ask.

The biggest problem I can see will be access to the ground via the 127 on a match day. I think one possibility could be linking the airport through the temple farm industrial estate and near the rugby club as this would give an alternative route and link the hotel to the airport. Would be easy to shuttle a bus or walk to the airport train station and park on the industrial estate with alternative access.

Why are some people so negative?

Rob1920 states in his post #12 that the fourth stand could take 3 - 5 years.

People straight away jump on this - boo hoo, its a disgrace, Ron's up to something, the end of the world is nigh, etc., etc.

But in post #17 he contradictes himself by stating " to be honest i didn't see that mentioned anywhere". This is ignored.

Fairport's post #20 questions the 3 - 5 year time frame. This is ignored.

Jai's post #21 questions the 3 - 5 year time frame. This is ignored.

If people want to bore on about ron, introduce/re hash conspiracy theories fine but don't high jack this post.

I went to the event this afternoon and thought it informative. It highlighted that as jai states the 2 'tower blocks' and the hotel are integral to the 'fourth stand and the stand alone 'tower block behind the east stand also wont be built in the first phase. Their for the vast majority of rons 'nest egg' wont be realsed and till the final stand is built. Also 2nd phase can start before 1st phase is complete if the funds have been realsed although according to the chap i spoke with the sale of rh will only generate a relatively small amount of capital required.

Here........the "facts" in black and white.

The first phase will include 3 sides of the stadium as previously permitted. The remaining phases of the development will be delivered over the next 3-5 years...
12065580_10156369677775495_6478507345894137366_n.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 25
Just returned from the exhibition and have to say it does look rather impressive but no actual models to look at only pictures pinned to a board.
They said they have had a steady amount of people through the day.
It does all look rather good but I still have some reservations, and dare I say it but I cannot help but feel it is all rather extravagant and certainly ambitious.
They are only plans and I would still have serious concerns around the accessibility for people. We were told that a new bus route will be put into place (I might add this is summarising and not fact). I pointed out that it is a considerable walk from th station but was told it would only take 15 mins (not convinced on that) to walk. They spoke about the local road and introducing traffic lights at one of the roundabouts. All the surrounding roads/houses WILL have restricted parking and there will only be 940 allocated parking spaces at the ground (excluding staff parking). The car park will only have one route in and out.
It seems there will be plenty of onsite drinking venues and would be encouraging people to arrive early.

Let's wait and see what the council decide

I was there this afternoon and surprised Ron was not there!! apparently Southend united will own the ground and British land will own the shops/cinema etc etc, shocked that the main stand would maybe built within 3-5 years (and thats not guaranteed) and thats only from revenue from the retail side off things lets hope Ron does not fall out with British Land as they will hold the purse strings.

Stadium parking is a field but the way, don't think I pay in excess of £175 for a car park ticket!!!

So IF everything falls into place we should have a completed stadium by 2025!!!

I very much doubt that any fourth stand would be long in coming and if and it's a big if the council allow this to pass I doubt that Ron would have any problems in getting sponsorship and corporate deals to finish the stadium. It's where the money is and it's where Ronald will be looking to make his fortune. It would make no sense to leave it out and it's only out as 3 sides only are funded/backed.

Not releasing funds until each phase is completed is pretty standard property finance stuff. Lenders want a half complete development to consist of half of it fully built rather than all of it to be half built.

If all the revenue generating stuff will be contained in the 4th stand then it's more likely to be built (and will then be easier to borrow money for).

I'm not quite sure what people were expecting of British Land. They're not a charity. They're purely in it for the money. At least Sainsburys were in it as it enabled a new store.

Here........the "facts" in black and white.

The first phase will include 3 sides of the stadium as previously permitted. The remaining phases of the development will be delivered over the next 3-5 years...
View attachment 3758

The way that's worded, I believe it means the entire remainder will be completed 3-5 years after the completion of the 3 sided stadium. Meaning the 4th stand could be completed almost immediately, or up to 5 years later.

3-5 years for the main stand!!!! Ron can **** off for my support and I hope every single Southend fan doesn't just roll over so these ***** can have it off. This whole development is only possible because of the football club so Ron and your new pals at BL get your hands in your pockets build the stadium us fans deserve and then have it away on your flats, retail and cinema!!!
100% agree. I won't support any plan that doesn't have all 4 stands built at the same time. Simply don't trust Ron or British Land to go ahead and feel it will just be on the never never.

So nothing clearly stating that 3-5 years is true for 4th stand but as it would be overwhelming the most negative factor its been repeated and amplified as if were a fact. before the Victors & Victorias go into overdrive it would be nice to get some clarification..

Photo taken from the display.....IMAG0870.jpg

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The good - The architects designs were very impressive. Clear graphics of how the stadium will look on the inside, where the access roads and parking will be, and where the retail outlets, cinema etc will be located.

The bad - There doesn't seem enough room for parking. 900 odd spaces for 21,000 fans ? Very little space for away fans coaches. Next to no street parking. There were a few moans and groans in the room when I was there, regarding the increase in traffic in the area, plus the thought of thousands of football fans walking past their homes (as they were suggesting the fans should walk from Prittlewell station). There also doesn't seem to be any segregation between the fans. Both sets seem to be expected to walk down Supporters Way in a peaceful and orderly manner and enjoy the delights from the retail units in good time, prior to kick-off. In an ideal world...great ! In reality..asking for trouble.

The ugly- If they are saying possibly starting in 18 mths, then you might as well say 2-3 years...then, the main stand 3-5 years afterwards. Could this be longer due to a drawn out argument with Sainsburys regarding the sale of Roots Hall, purchase of Prospects etc ? By that time we'll be £20m in debt, with no way of paying it back because the merchandising outfits in the main stand have only just been built ?

To me it looks like a block of flats, that happens to have a football club attached to it. There doesn't seem to have been much thought into what the fans or the surrounded public would want.

Saying that, the steps up to the Blues Lounge at RH looked knackered and really showed how dated and run down our current stadium is. I don't think we have much choice other than to run with it, and hope the 4th side gets completed soon after
I welcome the efforts that have gone into this and i'm really pleased that some big players are now on board, but I just hope the powers that be listen to the concerns of the supporters and the public and provide something that we can all be proud of and look forward to visiting.

I know I'm dreaming,but is there anyway the capacity can be increased when we make the champions league?.

A more serious question would be...do we need 21,000 seats when we're in the conference ?

A more serious question would be...do we need 21,000 seats when we're in the conference ?

Why is that a more serious question? I don't see any indication of the National League beckoning any time soon. If we have ambitions towards the Championship then 20k+ seats would be necessary.

3 sided stadium with the 4th not coming for 3-5 years (or if funding allows) Well get a 3 sided stadium and lovely retail shops and a cinema, but that's not going to stop the atmosphere from escaping through the massive missing development!!

Even col u managed to get 4 sides (admittedly they have gaps in the corners)
Yup 4 sides, 3 of them empty most weeks....... :'(

I am afraid I won't be wasting my valuable time visiting another of Ron's pipedreams.

I am only interested in going to the new stadium when it is built --- if I am still alive, that is.

2 things spring to mind. Firstly 3-5 years for the main stand is a long time to wait. I would hope it would be sooner. However it's possibly a way of getting round the issue that SUFC need to have a new stadium before work on RH can commence, so is this a way around that covenant? (No one said the stadium had to have 4 sides.)

Secondly, it isn't in Ron's best interests to complete the main stand, it's in SUFCs best interests. It's only in Ron's best interests to complete the retail park.

Back