• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFCFANS

Coach
Post you pictures (especially new stadium images for those not able to attend), comments, concerns, compliments etc. here....

Just to remind people who have been on Mars recently:

The public exhibition will be held on Friday the 23rd and Saturday 24th of October 2015 in the Blues Lounge at Roots Hall Stadium, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex SS2 6NQ. Please note free parking will be available at the ground on both dates.

- The consultation on Friday the 23rd of October will be between 2pm to 8pm.
- The consultation on Saturday 24th of October will be between 10am and 2pm.

Just to remind people who have been on Mars recently:

The public exhibition will be held on Friday the 23rd and Saturday 24th of October 2015 in the Blues Lounge at Roots Hall Stadium, Victoria Avenue, Southend-on-Sea, Essex SS2 6NQ. Please note free parking will be available at the ground on both dates

- The consultation on Friday the 23rd of October will be between 2pm to 8pm.
- The consultation on Saturday 24th of October will be between 10am and 2pm.

But they never even landed on the Moon....Oh sorry wrong thread.

Pictures now up on the official SUFC twitter account. Apparently Barrett is "up" for the idea of safe standing.

CSAMc-vWwAAP9t6.jpg:small

Is there a stadium model this time or anything else 'new' beyond the pics and plan that are already on the official site? I'm interested in seeing more but not sure I want to make the journey to look at exactly the same images stuck to a blue pinboard.

Spot anyone in the picture, that we know and might be able to give us some further insight?

CSAU4YfXAAAB9Ij.jpg:small

Is there a stadium model this time or anything else 'new' beyond the pics and plan that are already on the official site? I'm interested in seeing more but not sure I want to make the journey to look at exactly the same images stuck to a blue pinboard.
Same here. Is it worth going or is it just a few pictures pinned on boards?

Just got back and although it was nice to see everything laid out in detail.. It is at the moment no more than we already knew. Was quite a nice presentation though. Would I travel miles to have a look? No

Just got back. Nothing particularly new, but nice to see it all in bigger colour pictures & get a better understanding of how it will all go together. Overall its an impressive project if it happens with all the retail stuff, hotel, cinema, flats etc, but shame it is definitely going to start with 3 sides, with the remaining side to be built over the next 3 to 5 years as funds are generated through the various income streams the overall project will produce. Also I can't help feeling slightly underwhelmed by the latest stadium design. Feels more basic than the original space-ship plan. Just feels to me a bit like the stadium is the excuse needed to build the rest of it. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will all look fantastic when (if) its finally built!

And before I forget, they're hoping building could start next Autumn if the various legals all go ok..

Just got back. Nothing particularly new, but nice to see it all in bigger colour pictures & get a better understanding of how it will all go together. Overall its an impressive project if it happens with all the retail stuff, hotel, cinema, flats etc, but shame it is definitely going to start with 3 sides, with the remaining side to be built over the next 3 to 5 years as funds are generated through the various income streams the overall project will produce. Also I can't help feeling slightly underwhelmed by the latest stadium design. Feels more basic than the original space-ship plan. Just feels to me a bit like the stadium is the excuse needed to build the rest of it. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will all look fantastic when (if) its finally built!

And before I forget, they're hoping building could start next Autumn if the various legals all go ok..
Thanks for the update. 3 to 5 years for the Main Stand, oh dear!
Building work to start next Autumn, did they say how long it would be if another public enquiry is needed?

Thanks for the update. 3 to 5 years for the Main Stand, oh dear!
Building work to start next Autumn, did they say how long it would be if another public enquiry is needed?

To be honest I didn't see that mentioned anywhere, and didn't bother asking as everyone official-looking was already in conversation with other people. But the way it was worded made it obvious next Autumn (i.e. a year from now) is the best case scenario for building to start.

I wish they'd stop saying this part. In Jan 2014 they said "diggers on sight by spring" >18 months later we're being told they'll be started in a year.

Less Martin Dawn and more False Dawn. #amirite?

3-5 years without a Main Stand?..... Do me a favour. That is a disgrace and very worrying. Why so long?

I for one hope the Council put something in writing (S106) that it has to be a lot sooner than that. That screams disaster to me. How on earth can we survive that long without the main income stream, outside of general ticket sales?

I know I have been one of the most sceptical about this whole shambles, but sorry this does not calm my nerves one little bit. In fact if anything I am even more concerned than before. Where is the guarantee a 4th side will be built?....Oxford on a grand scale springs to mind.

The whole thing is just backward. How many stadiums have been built without a main stand?

Last edited:
Not sure if 3 to 5 years is right for the fourth stand. It was hinted to me by an official there today that it would be soon after. The fourth stand will be the West Stand and looking at the plans it will incorporate a hotel and some flats. The seating in that stand looks to be mainly for corporate/hospitality/VIP punters. Most of us will be housed in the East and South stands as well as a large family section in the North Stand. The away fans will be in the North East corner section, not far from the family block, maybe not a good idea? The plans for the whole project to the Council in December this year. Decision by the Council expected in Spring 2016, work to commence Autumn 2016, building time 18 months. The first problem is to get the majority of the 51 Southend councillors to pass the plans and then hope that the Government Inspectorate does not call it in, which is what happened last time. I would hope that this whole project gets the go ahead, speaking to people there today it seems that British Land are very successful, they back winners rather than losers and will be used to dealing with any objections which will surely come. Speaking to someone from the architects, he said that there are many interested parties regarding the retail outlets. Hopefully the Council will see sense and pass the whole thing through although they will be wary of Ron who has not delivered previous promises to them. We need to send in support of this scheme when it is open to public debate.

Back