• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
In todays Echo,

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/14116241.Huge___50million_Southend_seafront_cinema_complex_to_be_unveiled_to_the_public/?ref=mr&lp=1

Its clear from that the developer wants to get his application approved before Fossetts is agreed, if he does that is going to be a massive blow to our plans.

Looks like Ron has a direct competitor and long delays in getting ours approved can't happen now, Southend Council wont agree two leisure parks.

Ron Woodley has always been pretty supportive of the stadium, but this is ominous :

And leader Ron Woodley, an Independent, said he was “pleased” the developer was still committed to the project despite the spectre of Fossetts Farm.

He said: “Ron Martin and British Land have their views, and I have mine, but I think when you have six and a half million visitors per year, and cinema complex and restaurants close to the seafront, where would you rather go? You’d go there.

He has a point.

So, what would happen if these plans where to go ahead? Where would that leave us?

Both these new schemes may well be just to put doubt in the councils mind. In the long run if FF was refused or more likely scaled down it would make their land more profitable. The trick s to get the permission and then never go ahead with the development. Remember the 4 star hotel and conference centre at the gas works....we ended up with a travel lodge. The officers mess at the Garrison was going to be a nice restaurant and offices for all to enjoy....now its expensive apartments for a few

Looks very much like Sainsbury's have used us as a patsy to stop other supermarkets moving in firstly and then stalling to give them time to decide the companies future Strategy. As they did with Bristol Rovers

This is now a bit of a race. More foot traffic nearer to the High St will be seen as a plus but the council should be prioritising giving planning permission to homes rather than hotels.

They only have plans at the moment, no "anchor tenant" as Ron has Cineworld. I would say that FF is still more likely.

This is now a bit of a race. More foot traffic nearer to the High St will be seen as a plus but the council should be prioritising giving planning permission to homes rather than hotels.

They only have plans at the moment, no "anchor tenant" as Ron has Cineworld. I would say that FF is still more likely.

But the council will surely look at RMs record of delays at FF, and question whether this is actually likely to go ahead. They'll want some serious assurances this time around.

I wonder how much Mr Woodly gets out or goes to the movies. Usually it is a film trip, maybe a meal/drink BUT not a day trip with a bucket and spade.
The important points for FF are ease of access and parking surely?
Or do people often go to the films and then do a few hours shopping?

The FF project has been one big shambles,far too big and ambitious for our sized club,reckon the council have had enough of delay after delay after delay.

I wonder how much Mr Woodly gets out or goes to the movies. Usually it is a film trip, maybe a meal/drink BUT not a day trip with a bucket and spade.
The important points for FF are ease of access and parking surely?
Or do people often go to the films and then do a few hours shopping?

I think his point is more that that part of town already gets millions of out of town visitors so giving them more to do is a bonus.

Personally I agree with you though, if they built a cinema at the seafront it wouldnt appeal to me as much as one at Fossetts. Same as the Empire at Bas Vegas is nice to go to, its easily accessed, has places to eat and easy to park.

If someone comes to town from London are they going to want to go to the movies? Doubt it. However if there are restaurants etc they would be used.

Fossetts main downside on that aspect is the botteneck getting past Priory Park, but the seafront location wouldnt be any nicer to get to for most people either.

Don't understand the panic, Ron has it covered, now we know why Horton was appointed, he'll be ferrying peeps from the seafront to Fossets.....
train.jpg

But the council will surely look at RMs record of delays at FF, and question whether this is actually likely to go ahead. They'll want some serious assurances this time around.

I hope Ron and BL can give them those assurances. To have BL on board and cineworld is a good sign for the council despite any bad blood. Ron just has to get this over the line now.

Yes, this has now developed into a race against another developer. I would urge all of our fans to write in support of our application when it goes into the Council. People like Woodley will be banging on about a detriment to the High Street but this argument can be challenged. If Rons scheme went ahead it will bring footfall and business into the town. It will still be money and trade coming into Southend, why does it have to be in the High Street? There will be many objectors coming out of the woodwork, they need to be challenged by reasoned arguments. This is going to be a real battle I fear.

Shouldn't be difficult to get it in ahead of Fossetts Farm. As we all know, FF will never happen.

Yes, this has now developed into a race against another developer. I would urge all of our fans to write in support of our application when it goes into the Council. People like Woodley will be banging on about a detriment to the High Street but this argument can be challenged. If Rons scheme went ahead it will bring footfall and business into the town. It will still be money and trade coming into Southend, why does it have to be in the High Street? There will be many objectors coming out of the woodwork, they need to be challenged by reasoned arguments. This is going to be a real battle I fear.

I've spoken to Ron Woodley on a number of occasions, he is a Southend fan and like me supports the new Stadium. He has to take into account other business owners views, I am one myself. If he didn't they are more likely to prevent the whole scheme. Never underestimate the power and connections of the high street.

One solution could be to allow more residential housing at FF as the Town cannot find enough land to fulfil its government guidelines, especially on affordable housing

One thing I'd say in favour of FF is that British Land are a somewhat well-established organisation with a proven track record and serious financial clout. Does anyone know anything about the developer of the proposed seafront scheme?

Back