• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fossetts Farm Stadium in doubt

I can't believe a tongue in cheek comment about Darlington that I made about "grounds that have worked" has spawned comparisons as well!

That said, I think that people here are already comparing RM to George Reynolds anyway so it's hardly a shock.

We will NOT be playing games in front of 2,500 at Fossett's simple.

First season I can see the average being about 12,000, if we play the likes of Leeds we'll have 16,000 through the door.

Which will be nice.

thats the spirit! and if we ever get the new ground, i think thats achievable, relegation will not be an option tho

why can't the doubters use some common sense for once. This is hardly new news. Do people really think that a firm as huge as Sainsbury's with hundreds of premises and no doubt a huge property department and our very own property developer haven't thought this through?
Do you honestly think when Ron makes statements he 'forgets' about these points. I guess you think he is at home now saying 'ShiXXXX I forgot we didn't have the college deal done- we are never goning to get this done now'

Many believe FF will be the saviour with large crowds meaning SUFC will rise to the championship and become part of the fixtures and fittings within that division.

Seems strange to me that club officials changed their minds on what size stadium the club actually required,John Main 1st stated Boots and Laces would be the ideal site for a 12000 seater stadium,Then FF comes along and a 16000 capacity was 1st drawn up and now the huge 22000 with all the add ons.

Property developers know best.

Many believe FF will be the saviour with large crowds meaning SUFC will rise to the championship and become part of the fixtures and fittings within that division.

Seems strange to me that club officials changed their minds on what size stadium the club actually required,John Main 1st stated Boots and Laces would be the ideal site for a 12000 seater stadium,Then FF comes along and a 16000 capacity was 1st drawn up and now the huge 22000 with all the add ons.

Property developers know best.

Dont think it will be the saviour, just the next chapter, if it happens, so many ifs and buts, but the best case would be we get in there, we get 14000 odd a week and play decent football in the championship, and the who knows.
worst case scenario doesnt bear thinking about

As far as seating goes, to me 12000 would be pointless, and as far as i remember it was decided the difference between 16 and 22k seats cost wise was deemed worthy considering the overall cost of a new build.

As far as seating goes, to me 12000 would be pointless, and as far as i remember it was decided the difference between 16 and 22k seats cost wise was deemed worthy considering the overall cost of a new build.

!00% correct and this point has been made time and time again, but some people just refuse to listen

Anyone believing the difference in cost between building a 16000 seater and 22000 seater stadium is chicken feed are seriously deluded,The purchase of an extra 6000 seats probably costing £30 per seat equals 180k then possibly another 250k to have the seats fitted/bolted down,Then the extra cost of at least 2 exits extra lighting the list is endless....I would put the extra cost at around 4/5/6 million.

If RM said the grass was blue.....Some of you would believe him.

Anyone believing the difference in cost between building a 16000 seater and 22000 seater stadium is chicken feed are seriously deluded,The purchase of an extra 6000 seats probably costing £30 per seat equals 180k then possibly another 250k to have the seats fitted/bolted down,Then the extra cost of at least 2 exits extra lighting the list is endless....I would put the extra cost at around 4/5/6 million.

A figure you plucked out of the air then. Or are you in the stadia construction industry?

Besides which. The original plans that were drawn up were for a 16000 seater stadium with the provision already built into them to increase that to 20/22000 should we ever want to expand. RM decided long before the plans were passed by the councils to not bother with the 16000 option but to go straight in at 22000. The original plans already incorporated the lights, exits etc as a future expansion option.

of course theres a risk, and im sure even the most optimistic people on here are still highly concerned about what could go wrong,
what would you like to see happen? scrap the plans? sack the board?

If RM said grass was green, some of you wouldnt beleive him

Last edited:
A figure you plucked out of the air then. Or are you in the stadia construction industry?

Besides which. The original plans that were drawn up were for a 16000 seater stadium with the provision already built into them to increase that to 20/22000 should we ever want to expand. RM decided long before the plans were passed by the councils to not bother with the 16000 option but to go straight in at 22000. The original plans already incorporated the lights, exits etc as a future expansion option.

Where's Sherif H when you need him?

Where's Sherif H when you need him?

He knows what he's talking about that, only speculation is permitted on here by people who don't know what they're talking about, knowing what you are talking about is hereby decreed to be "being up Ron's arse" and must be avoided at all costs.

which stands to reason, the good new grounds are ones with succesful teams, and vice-versa, which comes back to the whole gamble that it is!
if we need 8000 to break even now, i dread to think what it will be at fossetts, and im sure even when we get the new ground ther'll be 3-4 years of "cant buy players coz were still paying for the ground" stuff

Maybe, but I'm told that Colchester make a lot of money hiring out their facilities for corporate events. A nice facility might make a lot of money back.

Maybe, but I'm told that Colchester make a lot of money hiring out their facilities for corporate events. A nice facility might make a lot of money back.

This is exactly what is planned for ours, do people not read the stuff that comes out? The Founders Club that some of us have been invited to give opinions on is proposing a "seat for life" arrangement whereby your seat is YOUR seat whether it's Southend v Great Wakering; Southend v Real Madrid; Take That Reunion 2025; London Symphony Orchestra or whatever! It is going to be more than JUST about the football.

Like all 'good' developers, Ron pushes the limits. Room for 12,000 stadium on B & L? Lets go the the piece of land next door and up it to 16,000. Having obtained that, lets push it to 22,000. Not too many objections from the Council so far, so lets see if we can free up more valuable land to include retail, an hotel, flats etc by moving our practice pitches and some car parking over the boundary into Rochford. You then tell everyone that unless Rochford Council releases these acres of green belt land, the whole project will collapse - of course they relent ..........and so it goes on.

Do we need 22,000 seats - I dont think so. Altho our catchment appears large, our support can only come from one direction (West to N West) and only 20 miles up the road fans are nearer London.

if we did build a stadium for 12-16k, then first time we sell out, all those people saying now we shouldn't build 22k, would be the first to moan about building too small
some people like to moan whatever happens, its why the aussies call us whingeing poms.
BTW grass is pink, I read it in The Echo so it must be true

Do we need 22,000 seats - I dont think so. Altho our catchment appears large, our support can only come from one direction (West to N West) and only 20 miles up the road fans are nearer London.

Again youre thinking one dimensionally, Southend United might not need 22,000 but concerts, boxing bouts, and other events might do. They will be the extra resources that we need to be competitive in the Championship.

Anyone believing the difference in cost between building a 16000 seater and 22000 seater stadium is chicken feed are seriously deluded,

where is anyone saying this ????? Don't exagerate what is being said .

Also as I probably fall into your grass is blue statement can you please educate me as to why I should beleive the figures that you ahve come up with as opposed to what Ron says?

Again youre thinking one dimensionally, Southend United might not need 22,000 but concerts, boxing bouts, and other events might do. They will be the extra resources that we need to be competitive in the Championship.

This is where I think we might suffer from being too close to London. Who is seriously going to consider staging such an event at FF when the O2 and other world-class venues, some of which are under construction for 2012, are a relative stones-throw away?

Back