• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fossetts Farm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Sep. 15 2004,03:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 15 2004,00:15)]Well considering RM bought this club for RH and to build a new stadium, and hoped to get rid of the club by 2002 we are now nearing 2005 and we haven't even got planning permission.

So id say it was a **** up.
If you haven't got anything constructive to say then why say anything at all.

Especially when you combine conjecture, hypothesis and childish ignorance and present it as stone cold fact.
I was just stating a opinion as well as some facts mate, hince the point of this board, im certainly very hopefull of a new stadium its just a question of when.

Yeah a question of when, and when it happens it will happen so there
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Sep. 15 2004,04:00)]... combine:

Conjecture

Hypothesis

Childish ignorance

Present it as stone cold fact
Hhhhhmmmm, garnish with fresh herbs and you've got a traditional home (yet half) baked FM post!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 15 2004,00:15)]Well considering RM bought this club for RH and to build a new stadium, and hoped to get rid of the club by 2002 we are now nearing 2005 and we haven't even got planning permission.

Luke,

Give RM a call at the club and speak to him, i did after the chelts game as i was completely ****ed off and wanted some answers.

My opinion of him changed dramatically, and he was the first to admit that when he bought the club it was for a quick buck, However he reckons that he has fallen in love with SUFC (maybe this was for my benefit as i was quite hostile) but he said that even when all this is over and we have a new stadium and Delancey move on to pastures new, he would like to stay (again maybe he was humoring me).

As i say Luke give him a call and let him feel the force.

There is one thing worse than silence and that is misinformation.

RM has, in the past and probably under considerable pressure to do so, given dates and deadlines to try and appease the fans regarding the new stadium.

He is roundly castigated and criticised when, for one reason or another, he cannot deliver within the anticipated timescale (a post of the like started this thread).

Silence is golden; no news is good news; take whatever metaphor you like. The fact remains that I'm sure we will hear about FF when there is something to tell, and I don't think RM wants to give everyone the bullets to shoot him with at a later date.

If he says nothing, he can't be accused of lying. It will either happen, or it won't. Either way, we will not be able to affect the outcome, so all stop worrying about it. Concentrate the efforts into supporting the team so that we can climb this wretched division.

[b said:

How on earth do YOU know that, Luke?! Once again you are stating your own personal opinion as fact and it simply doesn't wash. You are a naive teenager with NO experience in the world of stadium construction let alone owning any valuable business acumen. I suggest you cease stating opinions as facts before it gets you into a whole lot of trouble ...

WS

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Sep. 15 2004,18:42)]
[b said:

How on earth do YOU know that, Luke?! Once again you are stating your own personal opinion as fact and it simply doesn't wash. You are a naive teenager with NO experience in the world of stadium construction let alone owning any valuable business acumen. I suggest you cease stating opinions as facts before it gets you into a whole lot of trouble ...

WS

mad.gif
b******s,

1) Your telling me RM bought this club for other reasons other than develop RH or any other assets belonging to SUFC

2) Do you disagree that when the new owners took over in 1998 that they expected to have a new stadium in place by 2002 ?

3) I don't claim to know a great deal if anything regarding stadium construction although its common sense, going on for 7 years in charge of this club and that vital new stadium still seeming quite a while away so something somewhere has gone wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Sep. 15 2004,09:39)]
[b said:

Luke,

Give RM a call at the club and speak to him, i did after the chelts game as i was completely ****ed off and wanted some answers.

My opinion of him changed dramatically, and he was the first to admit that when he bought the club it was for a quick buck, However he reckons that he has fallen in love with SUFC (maybe this was for my benefit as i was quite hostile) but he said that even when all this is over and we have a new stadium and Delancey move on to pastures new, he would like to stay (again maybe he was humoring me).

As i say Luke give him a call and let him feel the force.
Im happy with the job RM is doing tbh but obviously the whole stadium issue is a worry never the less i do believe we are in the right direction as a club, i don't think you can have a go at people questioning his motives when he is a properly developer, but i think its safe to say he has gotten more involved however if only he was the 'money' in the club i think id feel better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Groyne Strain @ Sep. 15 2004,00:03)]Interesting to note, though, that one of the architects working on the B & Q development is of the opinion that the club would be better off staying at Roots Hall.

This, of course, will never happen, so perhaps Ron & Co. are looking into why this particular architect holds such a view before making any further public pronouncements?
Perhaps because he doesn't want the sight-lines to his temple of mammon / gardening being disturbed by a stadium, or (more particularly) us fans who will no doubt wish to defecate and urinate all over his shiny new building...

More pertinently, because the B&Q development will have allowed for a certain number of cars in their car parks - and they will be rueing the thought that they will be required to police their car-parks in order to keep home & away fans out.

As a rule, architects can be relied on for putting aesthetics over economics and pragmatism.

Yes, how lovely it would be from a sociological standpoint, certainly, if we could stay next to the Spread, within 5 minutes' walk of Prittlewell, near local shops, on one of the main arteries into Southend...

But, you see, that's why Roots Hall is such a prime spot for development. Fossett's Farm is a retrograde step in terms of the evironment, in terms of basing the club in a community... it's in a site that is near nowhere, near no shops, cannot be accessed other than (realistically) by some form of motorised transport.

That is, however, what makes the business case so compelling. The fans who come to the football will be a captive audience for food & booze (and merchandising); whilst the redeveloped Roots Hall site is incredibly well-located for whatever purposes it eventually redeveloped.

Our chum the architect, however, almost certainly prefers not to have to think about that business reality... hence his comments.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 15 2004,18:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Sep. 15 2004,18:42)]
[b said:

WS

mad.gif
b******s,

1) Your telling me RM bought this club for other reasons other than develop RH or any other assets belonging to SUFC

2) Do you disagree that when the new owners took over in 1998 that they expected to have a new stadium in place by 2002 ?

3) I don't claim to know a great deal if anything regarding stadium construction although its common sense, going on for 7 years in charge of this club and that vital new stadium still seeming quite a while away so something somewhere has gone wrong.
1. RM is the only person who knows for sure.

2. I don't know what the new owners expected. I can't read minds and and neither can you.

3. You know nothing about the intricacies of property development (neither do I). How can you claim that something has gone wrong?

Your constant stream of poorly conceived drivel is extremely irritating.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 15 2004,19:03)]quote]
Perhaps because he doesn't want the sight-lines to his temple of mammon / gardening being disturbed by a stadium, or (more particularly) us fans who will no doubt wish to defecate and urinate all over his shiny new building...
Its not mammon its baphomet his building that zigarat too (i dont know tut get it right
biggrin.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 15 2004,18:55)]b******s,

1) I have no idea. And neither do you, Luke, no matter how much you think you do.

2) Yes, I disagree. Because I have no idea what they expected. And neither do you, Luke, no matter how much you think you do. In fact nowhere does it state that SEL were expecting to have moved the football club into a new stadium by 2002. For example, the sale and leaseback letter to shareholders, dated 5 March 1999, has no reference at all to a new stadium.

3) How do you know a new stadium is ""quite a while away" and that "something somewhere has gone wrong"? You are hardly in a position to question the nuances of development planning ...

WS

This may be a ridiculous question but why is it compulsory that we move into a new ground?

Apparently SUFC can't survive financially by staying at Roots Hall and it is assumed that a move to a new stadium will give the club a chance to 'wipe the slate clean' and start afresh. Some people seem to expect the new stadium (capacity : 16,000?) to be packed to its new shiny rafters once the club moves yet they seem to forget that only a winning team on the pitch (or at least the potential of a winning team) will have them pouring through the turnstiles. Darlington fans (all 3700 of them) are currently rattling about in a stadium that can hold over 20,000. At least Roots Hall can still seem "homely".

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 16 2004,00:29)]Apparently SUFC can't survive financially by staying at Roots Hall and it is assumed that a move to a new stadium will give the club a chance to 'wipe the slate clean' and start afresh. Some people seem to expect the new stadium (capacity : 16,000?) to be packed to its new shiny rafters once the club moves yet they seem to forget that only a winning team on the pitch (or at least the potential of a winning team) will have them pouring through the turnstiles. Darlington fans (all 3700 of them) are currently rattling about in a stadium that can hold over 20,000. At least Roots Hall can still seem "homely".

WS
I think the Reynolds Arena holds 25000, which actually makes an attendance of 3700 [last match], look even worse and can hardly make a good atmosphere in there... It's almost reminiscent of the time before Wimbledon [Now MKDons] moved to Milton Keynes, when they were only getting about 600 fans at Palace's ground.

I have said this before & still feel strongly that we should reserve capacity at FF for up to 20000 seats, but only have a starting capacity of 10-12000! If the club were proposing to have other events at the new stadium [concerts, tournaments, rugby, etc... then a bigger capacity could be worthwhile, but with our average attendances [although rising slightly] still under 5000 and with the odd local derby potentially attracting 8,9 or maybe 10,000 fans, I see no point in having the extra capacity that may only be used to its potential once a year or so... I'd hate to think what the overheads would be!?!

I can't wait for the opportunity to see the plans though... I really don't care how long we have to wait for the stadium now, just as long as we can see some progress! C'mon RM, get the wheels in motion.
wink.gif
smile.gif

With the last proposal it stated that the capacity would be 16,000 with the option of extending it to 25,000 the minimum allowed in the Premiership.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Sep. 16 2004,14:34)]With the last proposal it stated that the capacity would be 16,000 with the option of extending it to 25,000 the minimum allowed in the Premiership.
Fratton Park [Pompey] and Craven Cottage [Fulham] only holds just over 20000, so your statement suggesting a minimum of 25000 isn't quite correct and to be honest, I don't think there is a minimum capacity enforcement for eligability to the top flight [although I could be wrong?].

It does make me wonder what would have happened if SUFC had been Promoted to the top flight under David Webb in 1992 if such enforcement was in place... Roots Hall was a combination of Seating [East & West] and Standing [North & South] at that time. I think our capacity then was similar to Southampton's when they were at The Dell [13,000ish].

Well what I believe was that the Club must have an all-seated stadium and a capacity of 25,000 or at least have plans to do this.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 15 2004,20:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 15 2004,18:55)]b******s,

1) I have no idea. And neither do you, Luke, no matter how much you think you do.

2) Yes, I disagree. Because I have no idea what they expected. And neither do you, Luke, no matter how much you think you do. In fact nowhere does it state that SEL were expecting to have moved the football club into a new stadium by 2002. For example, the sale and leaseback letter to shareholders, dated 5 March 1999, has no reference at all to a new stadium.

3) How do you know a new stadium is ""quite a while away" and that "something somewhere has gone wrong"? You are hardly in a position to question the nuances of development planning ...

WS
I always thought it was the a open secret and iv been told it for years, if i ever speak to RM ill ask those questions. Until then, common sense Mike.

Well didn't something go wrong with FF, didnt it colapse the last time. You can't say its been a rose path now im not saying this is anyones fault. But at the end of the day getting a new stadium for this club has proved very hard and trying.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 16 2004,21:09)]... at the end of the day getting a new stadium for this club has proved very hard and trying.
A good point by FM. It is well known that every other club that has built new grounds since the start of the 90's have just told their respective authorities of their intentions and they were met with a rather carefree: "Sure, no problem... go ahead and do what you want."

And FM, you say that you don't blame anyone in particular, yet you clearly did lay the blame squarely at Ron Martin's feet for 'lack of organisation'.

rock.gif

Back