• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BTS

Coach
I Received my monthly copy of 4-4-2 A week or so ago and they had a supplement magazine in there for Football League Perfect XI's.

I went straight to the Southend Perfect XI

Here is the team

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Bilel Mohsni
DF Chris Powell
DF Mike Marsh
MF Paul Clark
MF Peter Butler
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood
FW Peter Taylor

Manager David Webb

This was chosen by Ian Holmes (Shrimperzone.com) and Daniel Peat

Now i agree with most of that team but how can anyone put Mohsni into a Southend Perfect XI?

Fair enough, he is a cracking player, but he has made 20 Appearances for us! Quite how he is in there above Prior & Edwards i will never know.

Also, surely a better choice for GK would have been Sansome or Royce??

Who is Ian Wholmes? Reveal yourself.

Thoughts on the team?

I Received my monthly copy of 4-4-2 A week or so ago and they had a supplement magazine in there for Football League Perfect XI's.

Here is the team

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Bilel Mohsni
DF Chris Powell
DF Mike Marsh
MF Paul Clark
MF Peter Butler
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood
FW Peter Taylor

Manager David Webb

Now i agree with most of that team but how can anyone put Mohsni into a Southend Perfect XI?

Fair enough, he is a cracking player, but he has made 20 Appearances for us! Quite how he is in there above Prior & Edwards i will never know.

Thoughts on the team?

I'm trying to figure out the formation as well. Is that supposed to be a 4-4-2 with Mike Marsh in midfield?

Exactly Yorkie, Marsh should be in midfiled and Clark in defence

Here is the team

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Bilel Mohsni
DF Chris Powell
DF Mike Marsh
MF Paul Clark
MF Peter Butler
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood
FW Peter Taylor

Manager David Webb

Thoughts on the team?

Royce for Merv Cawston, Peter Watson and Spencer Prior for Moshni and Moody, Dean Austin for Marsh (although a case could be made for Marsh to play in midfield, if a 442 system were to be used and I would probably play him ahead of Peter Butler) and Billy Best for Spud Taylor (Otto would have given us pace and width and two wingers when playing 433 is a luxury).

Here is the team

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Bilel Mohsni
DF Chris Powell
DF Mike Marsh
MF Paul Clark
MF Peter Butler
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood
FW Peter Taylor

Manager David Webb

Thoughts on the team?

Better choice of keeper? Without being patronising did you see Cawston play?
Marsh in defence?
For this old fart Peter Watson, Spencer Prior and Billy Best are glaring absentees, but having said that we've all played best XI's in the past.

Royce for Merv Cawston, Peter Watson and Spencer Prior for Moshni and Moody, Dean Austin for Marsh (although a case could be made for Marsh to play in midfield, if a 442 system were to be used and I would probably play him ahead of Peter Butler) and Billy Best for Spud Taylor (Otto would have given us pace and width and two wingers when playing 433 is a luxury).

Pretty much agree with you apart from Cawston of course. You can make a case for Moody at full back, he played there often enough.

Better choice of keeper? Without being patronising did you see Cawston play?
Marsh in defence?
For this old fart Peter Watson, Spencer Prior and Billy Best are glaring absentees, but having said that we've all played best XI's in the past.

No i will admit to never having seen Cawston play. But have i have seen Sammy and Roycie play. I can only base my opinion on what i have seen and heard from other people.

Here is the team

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Bilel Mohsni
DF Chris Powell
DF Mike Marsh
MF Paul Clark
MF Peter Butler
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood
FW Peter Taylor

Hmm... my thoughts:

Prior for Moshni is a no-brainer. Marsh & Clark need to swap places. Otto and Spud are "either/or" - both as highly attacking left sided players. I'd go 4-4-2 and drop Spud for Marky G.

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Chris Powell
DF Paul Clark
DF Spencer Prior
MF Mike Marsh
MF Peter Butler
MF Mark Gower
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood

That's a pretty special side.

its the usual debate,

In the past on here we have see numerous opinions on best XI but I have never seen Marsh at RB, Prior excluded for a youngster in his first season or Spud up top in a 433 before....

That said, Marky G aside, has there been any other outstanding Right Wingers ?

EDIT Terry Johnson ?

Last edited:
its the usual debate,

In the past on here we have see numerous opinions on best XI but I have never seen Marsh ai RB, Prior excluded for a youngster in his first season or Spud up top in a 433 before....

That said, Marky G aside, has there been any other outstanding Right Wingers ?

EDIT Terry Johnson ?

Ooh Andy Ansah?

Martin Ling?

Scott Ashenden?

Gower invariably started on the left.

Anyway, if that's for the magazine FourFourTwo, why are they playing 4-3-3 in the first place?

I think that's supposed to be 4-4-2. It seems to make more sense as:

Cawston
Moody Mohsni Clark Powell
Taylor Marsh Butler Otto
Collymore Eastwood

Cawston
martin
powell
edwards
clark
butler
maher
whelan
cadette
eastwood
collymore
4=3=3

subs
sansome
austin
pennyfather
moody
ansah
phillips
tilson

Here is the team

GK Mervyn Cawston
DF Alan Moody
DF Bilel Mohsni
DF Chris Powell
DF Mike Marsh
MF Paul Clark
MF Peter Butler
MF Ricky Otto
FW Stan Collymore
FW Freddy Eastwood
FW Peter Taylor

Manager David Webb

Thoughts on the team?

Seeing as you've asked, Ian Holmes probably seen more games than most on here and has been supporting SUFC almost as long as I have (50+ years) so I think his judgement deserves respect whether or not your choice may differ. He and his daughter are also very well known to away match followers.

I'm not saying my team would be identical. I guess it depends on how far you go back. I may for example go for the late Tony Bentley as full back.
As for the Keeper, Royce or Sansome do spring to mind or even Harry Threadgold provided the game is not under floodlights!
Much as I loved Biily Best who has been mentioned, I think you could only include him at the expense of Colly or Freddie so a tough call as 'Spud' Taylor would be the provider.
The title was 'Southend perfect XI and as such, yes I would include Mohsni. All too rare these day's is the enthusiasum, comitment and pure love of the game shown that we see from Bilel. I would pay to watch any team he was in, he is our David Luiz.
Shame on you though Mr Holmes, for reminding the rest of the football world of him..... Shhhhhhhh:winking:

Back