• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

LBBlue

Manager⭐
Can you believe that we've only scored 5 goals in a league game at Roots Hall twice in the last twenty years.

The last time was over ten years ago against QPR in Feb 2007 5-0 when Kev put two stoppage time goals past Roycie and the time before that was against Bournemouth 5-3 in March 1998 after the game being 0-0 at half time.
The next time was only a season earlier when we thrashed the subsequent champions, Bolton, 5-2 in one of only four defeats they suffered all season. You may have spotted that at the end of each of those season we got relegated!!

It's almost 25 years since we last got 6 - Mooney hat-trick in October 93 against Oxford 6-1.

The last 7 came against Workington in March 1968 - nearly 50 years ago . Doesn't time fly.

In the eighties, we managed 6 fives and one 6 - The 6 against Brentford in October 83 -oh and we got relegated at the end of the season.

In the seventies we got 8 fives, including two in two days at Easter 1973,( that's just 4 less than we've scored in 11 home games so far this season)

And in the sixties - I started watching in March 59, we got six 5s, six 6s, and two 7s. In each season we got at least one 5,6 or 7 until 69/70 - when we let a 5 in at home to Notts County!

So what about the 4s. We have scored 4 at home only once (Bury two years ago) since March 2012, when we put 4 past Jack Butland (will he be England's number 1 in Russia in the summer?).

In fact we haven't got 3 in game at home in the last 14 games. Between 24 March 2014 and Dec18 2015 we couldn't even manage a 3, in 37 consecutive games, including the whole of the promotion season 2015/16. This compares with the 71/72 promotion season when in 11 of 23 games we scored at least 3 goals.

Last season was so much more enjoyable as we managed seven 3s at Roots Hall - the most for nearly 30 years when we got four 3s and three 4s in 1987/88.

I think these stats show the stark reality of how football has gone from scoring more than the opposition to conceding less. Less technically exciting football, fewer goals, fewer goalmouth incidents fewer saves from the goal keepers.

The excitement comes from games being closer- you can always concede a penalty in the last minute and lose!

3s are 5s of 50 years ago and 4s the 6s if you get my drift. I should count my chickens when we score 2 at home!

Why can't we just score some goals and cheer me up!!

Get rid of clean sheet mentality and play with some forwards!
These dark afternoons mean I spend much too much time browsing record books and reminiscing of the good old days.:omg:

Good stattage.

In a similar vein have we had a hattrick since Barney v Orient in 2009?

Seeing as we've conceded 3 hattricks this season we must be due one soon!

1st half hattrick!!

Southend United v Barnet, 20 April 2012
Score 3-0 to Southend United
Referee Graham Scott
Competition League Two
Venue Roots Hall
Attendance 5,765
View Southend United v Barnet head to head
3Southend United
0Barnet
Goals:
Bilel Mohsni 11 G
Bilel Mohsni 25 G
Bilel Mohsni 32 G

Sadly off-topic for this thread as we didn't score in the second half!

I better start a new thread.

Bilel got one against Northampton away as well didn't he?

Presume you're referring to this match, when he was only a sub (75th minute)

Northampton 2-5 Southend

HT 2 - 1 FT 2 - 5

John Johnson (10)Saido Berahino (43)

Dave Martin (41)Liam Dickinson (pen 65, 85)Bilel Mohsni (81, 90)

"So what about the 4s. We have scored 4 at home only once (Bury two years ago) since March 2012, when we put 4 past Jack Butland (will he be England's number 1 in Russia in the summer?)."

When was Millwall 4-1 in the cup?

"So what about the 4s. We have scored 4 at home only once (Bury two years ago) since March 2012, when we put 4 past Jack Butland (will he be England's number 1 in Russia in the summer?)."

When was Millwall 4-1 in the cup?

2013/14 season. It's our last FA Cup win!

Can you believe that we've only scored 5 goals in a league game at Roots Hall twice in the last twenty years.

The last time was over ten years ago against QPR in Feb 2007 5-0 when Kev put two stoppage time goals past Roycie and the time before that was against Bournemouth 5-3 in March 1998 after the game being 0-0 at half time.
The next time was only a season earlier when we thrashed the subsequent champions, Bolton, 5-2 in one of only four defeats they suffered all season. You may have spotted that at the end of each of those season we got relegated!!

One of my favourite facts that , Score 5 and get relegated......

I can still remember to this day a particular game my grandad took me to, against Swindon when I was a fledgling supporter.

It was in the 1978/79 season, Friday 16th March 1979 to be precise. I was still at Junior school, and we used to get the 251 bus down to Roots Hall.

IIRC Swindon were the 3rd division leaders and expected to give us a going over, however we ran them ragged and put 5 past them and even had two goals ruled out as far as I can recall. Our goals came from Andy Polycarpou (2), Micky Stead, Colin Morris, and Micky Laverick. The game ended with us winning 5-3.

We ended up 13th that year, Swindon faded and finished 5th (no playoffs in those days!)

You just don’t get games like this down at the Hall anymore, which is a great shame.

Bring back the Friday night specials I say, great memories :thumbsup:

Did we not thrash QPR 5-0 in the championship?

:unsure:

The last time was over ten years ago against QPR in Feb 2007 5-0 when Kev put two stoppage time goals past Roycie and the time before that was

:stunned:

:duh:

I can still remember to this day a particular game my grandad took me to, against Swindon when I was a fledgling supporter.

It was in the 1978/79 season, Friday 16th March 1979 to be precise. I was still at Junior school, and we used to get the 251 bus down to Roots Hall.

IIRC Swindon were the 3rd division leaders and expected to give us a going over, however we ran them ragged and put 5 past them and even had two goals ruled out as far as I can recall. Our goals came from Andy Polycarpou (2), Micky Stead, Colin Morris, and Micky Laverick. The game ended with us winning 5-3.

We ended up 13th that year, Swindon faded and finished 5th (no playoffs in those days!)

You just don’t get games like this down at the Hall anymore, which is a great shame.

Remember that game well. 3 goals for Swindon actually flattered them.

I wasn't to keen on Polycarpou, only because the girl I fancied at school fancied him and would always ask how he had played on Monday morning. Still after he score the only goal to beat Watford in the cup I almost fancied him myself.

That well known entertainer Chris Kamara would have been playing for Swindon - he kicked anything that moved.

Scarcely faded after their visit to the Hall-they were 6th at the time.
Kamara wore 11-didn’t score-their 3rd was credited to Mervin Cawston-the best keeper we’ve had in my 62 years supporting.

I remember very well Peter Silvester scoring 4 goals in one game against Brighton at home in the mid 70s! It was a bit of a backlash as I recall, possibly after we'd been knocked out of the cup?

Back