• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I remember very well Peter Silvester scoring 4 goals in one game against Brighton at home in the mid 70s! It was a bit of a backlash as I recall, possibly after we'd been knocked out of the cup?
Yes it was a couple of days after Derby had beaten us 1-0 .

Great stats!

If we start to include cup games i have seen southend score 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 10 goals in a game. :happy: :happy:

Will i ever see an 8 and 9 for a full set?

As things stand now it will probably be another 20 years before we score 4 or more at home .....or away for that matter.need strikers to do that cant just rely on the midfelders to do all the scoring.:smile:

Great stats!

If we start to include cup games i have seen southend score 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 10 goals in a game. :happy: :happy:

Will i ever see an 8 and 9 for a full set?

I just need the 8. I can't even remember one!

I just need the 8. I can't even remember one!

Last one at home was 17 Feb 1951, an 8-2 win against Swindon with a hat trick for Tommy Tippett

and the only other one 8-1 against Cardiff Feb 20 1937 with a hat trick for Harry Lane.

( interesting names!)

Tommy Tippett is a great name! :cool::thumbsup:

Sounds like a spill-proof cup for toddlers! Anyhow I didn't see the aforementioned score as I couldn't go, I was -5 at the time! He scored two in the next game as well - a 3-1 win against the Ewes.

Sounds like a spill-proof cup for toddlers! Anyhow I didn't see the aforementioned score as I couldn't go, I was -5 at the time! He scored two in the next game as well - a 3-1 win against the Ewes.

call yerself a supporter, what kind of feeble excuse is that:smile::winking:

Saw us score 7 v Workington & Weymouth
Saw England score 8,i think v Turkey
9 v Kings .L
10 v Brentwood
Have we ever scored 11 or more?

Saw us score 7 v Workington & Weymouth
Saw England score 8,i think v Turkey
9 v Kings .L
10 v Brentwood
Have we ever scored 11 or more?

But not as a League club, no.

Scored 10 thrice: Golders Green, Brentwood and Aldershot.

We have been fairly mean in front of goal in this respect but to be fair, we have also been mean at the other end as well. In my 48 years of supporting SUFC, I have managed to miss every single time we have scored more than 5 and also conceded more than 5.

In the cup, I remember in the early 70's we beat Weymouth 7-0 at home.

I think I've seen all the 5's - the one I thought we must score 6 in was home to Port Vale in the first home league game in 80/81 when we won the Div 4 title at a canter. We were 5-1 up at half time... and that was that.

We beat Aldershot 5-0 twice in one season - home and away - and in the home game David Crown scored a 6th goal but it was ruled out. We also beat them 10-1 in the Leyland Daf trophy (missed it) before thumping Torquay 7-0 in the next round, all the goals coming in the second half.

Talking of Aldershot, I was a guest of a friend at a West Ham v Aldershot cup replay once where West Ham won 6-1, but that doesn't count as it wasn't the mighty Blues. And I did see us thump Canvey 7-0 in a pre season friendly once but again, not in a competitive game.

I was gutted to miss the Oxford game where Tommy Mooney scored a hat trick as I was due to go but had to pull out at the last minute due to a family commitment and I wasn't best pleased. There have been a few 6 goal away wins I have missed (once at Scunthorpe - how good would that be on Saturday!) - but I can't remember any other home games where we have scored 6 or more since August 1969 when I started supporting us.

At the other end, I saw the game where we were thrashed by Division 4 champions elect Notts County 5-2 at home, and have seen us beaten 5-0 away at Gillingham and Oxford.

And incidentally - this is a stat I think is pretty amazing. Our record home defeat - on several occasions - is 0-4. When we have conceded 5, we have always scored 2 or more, and I'm not aware that we have ever conceded more than 5 at home in a competitive game.

In over 100 years, that's incredible. I doubt there will be many other teams that can say the same.

Have seen us score 5 against Bournemouth in that bizarre match mentioned in the original post and was also present at the 6-1 v Oxford.

On the receiving end, saw us lose 0-4 at home to Watford, where they had a makeshift centre-forward who scored a hat-trick!

Also saw the 0-8 at Palace, but I missed those LDV matches against Aldershot and Torquay.

On the receiving end, saw us lose 0-4 at home to Watford, where they had a makeshift centre-forward who scored a hat-trick!

I think that was Darren Bazeley. I sort of missed it - got there late and couldn't get in!

Have seen us score 5 against Bournemouth in that bizarre match mentioned in the original post and was also present at the 6-1 v Oxford.

Also saw the 0-8 at Palace, but I missed those LDV matches against Aldershot and Torquay.

The 4-0 defeat v Watford was proper grim, but we've some far more recent examples of that as we've already done worse than that this season with a 5-0 reverse at Rotherham (complete with a hattrick) and lost 4-0 three times last season. Even if you want to limit it to home games there's a 4-0 defeat at home to Millwall two years ago! Wigan also scored 5 in the away game without reply that season. Fortunately one of them was in the wrong net.

There was also a 6-1 at Swindon in the LDV in 2002 and then the 8-1 and 6-2 defeats under Dick Bate.

If that seems unduly negative I've seen us score 5 v Bournemouth, Bolton and QPR, although that may not restore that reputation as Firestorm (I think) pointed out we were relegated each season. Fortunately I also saw that 5-0 v Aldershot and the 6-1 v Oxford:happy:

I think that was Darren Bazeley. I sort of missed it - got there late and couldn't get in!

That was him 'Rob'. Was a right back I think.

One of the goals Andy Edwards trod on the ball and fell over leaving Bazeley a clear run at goal.

Think we were 0-3 down after about 25 minutes or so.

Last edited:
"Our record home defeat - on several occasions - is 0-4. When we have conceded 5, we have always scored 2 or more, and I'm not aware that we have ever conceded more than 5 at home in a competitive game."

Jan 26 1956. Southend 1 Birmingham 6. FA cup.

Back