• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This was taken from http://mediamatters.org/items/200507070005.

Fox News' Brian Kilmeade: London terror attack near G8 summit "works to ... Western world's advantage, for people to experience something like this together"

The following exchange between Fox News host Brian Kilmeade and Fox News business contributor and substitute host Stuart Varney occurred during breaking news coverage of the attacks on London subways and buses on the July 7 edition of Fox News' Fox & Friends:

KILMEADE: And he [British Prime Minister Tony Blair] made the statement, clearly shaken, but clearly determined. This is his second address in the last hour. First to the people of London, and now at the G8 summit, where their topic Number 1 --believe it or not-- was global warming, the second was African aid. And that was the first time since 9-11 when they should know, and they do know now, that terrorism should be Number 1. But it's important for them all to be together. I think that works to our advantage, in the Western world's advantage, for people to experience something like this together, just 500 miles from where the attacks have happened.

VARNEY: It puts the Number 1 issue right back on the front burner right at the point where all these world leaders are meeting. It takes global warming off the front burner. It takes African aid off the front burner. It sticks terrorism and the fight on the war on terror, right up front all over again.

KILMEADE: Yeah.

Jeez

mad.gif

Typical. This is an extreme right-wing news channel.

I was off sick yesterday, and whilst the events were unfurling. I clicked around the foreign news channels to get a perspecticve from other countries.

The Fox News coverage was crass in the extreme. Some archetypal US news anchor woman was spouting that "this shows how close the people of the US and the UK are. Both experiencing terror attacks, and not showing any signs of panic. " Yeah. Well theer is a huge difference, the leader of our Governemnt gave a measured, considered statement. Whilst their's would be talking of reaping hideous revenge on the enemies of the American people, and the free world (whatever that is).

French TV, was in a subtle way, trying to say that the UK had this coming to them, for involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq. At least, they didn'y mention that the Olympics should now go to Paris. Unlike a French colleague of my wife's yesterday.

German, Portugeuse and Spanish television relayed the facts, as the footahe was being shown.

Al Jazeera and Abu Dahbi TV also showed the footage, and there seemed no hint of glorification.

Fox News is a disgrace.

mad.gif

I really enjoyed Tony's measured and thoughtful words yesterday. It really makes me proud to be British.

Could someone put fresh batteries in him next time he stands up and speaks to the world. Pause for effect yes, but pause in the right frigging places !!!!!!!!!!

As tragic as yesterday was, in my opinion the millions of lives lost to famine in Africa easily justify its place at the top of the agenda. It's sad that it takes something like yesterday to make people realise the gravity of unnecessary losses of human life, and just as sad that journalists and politicians should use it to pursue their own private agendas.

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ July 08 2005,11:12)]I                                                    really enjoyed                                 Tony's measured                                            and thoughtful words                             yesterday. It really makes                          me                  proud                                       to                     be British.

Could someone put fresh batteries in him next time he stands up and speaks to the world. Pause for effect yes, but pause in the right frigging places !!!!!!!!!!
He had to pause as the person relaying the words to him was speaking at that pace.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bucks_blue @ July 11 2005,15:22)]Fox News slammed over 'callous' line

Julian Borger in Washington
Saturday July 9, 2005
The Guardian

Rupert Murdoch's Fox News channel was under fire yesterday for comments by some of its leading journalists in response to the London bombs.

Speaking about the reaction of the financial markets, Brit Hume, the channel's Washington managing editor, said: "Just on a personal basis ... I saw the futures this morning, which were really in the tank, I thought 'hmm, time to buy'."

The host of a Fox News programme, Brian Kilmeade, said the attacks had the effect of putting terrorism back on the top of the G8's agenda, in place of global warming and African aid. "I think that works to our advantage, in the western world's advantage, for people to experience something like this together, just 500 miles from where the attacks have happened."

Another Fox News host, John Gibson, said before the blasts that the International Olympic Committee "missed a golden opportunity" by not awarding the 2012 games to France. "If they had picked France instead of London to hold the Olympics, it would have been the one time we could look forward to where we didn't worry about terrorism. They'd blow up Paris, and who cares?" He added: "This is why I thought the Brits should let the French have the Olympics - let somebody else be worried about guys with backpack bombs for a while."

Media Matters for America, a watchdog and frequent critic of Fox, criticised the comments on its website. "I think it's absolutely sickening three Fox anchors had such callous reactions to the bombings that took dozens of lives," said the Jamison Foser, of the group.

The Fox News media relations office had not responded by the time the Guardian went to press yesterday.
It gets better

Back