• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
I know I am not alone in having a real problem with what MK Dons did. Every team has to work their way up but for some reason Winkleman though that he was above all that, stole Wimbledon's identity, under the guise of saving them. Now, and when he got where he wanted to be he has admitted what he did was wrong, has returned Wimbledon's trophies to them and told us all it is time to move on!

Martin Samuel in the Mail recently when talking about Di Matteo's failure to gain his coaching badges (and his assistant too) said they should not worry and simply take them from another club! - classic.

Let's hope we do our bit on Friday not only to further our cause but also to stop their progress and we can hope that one day Franchise FC get to play the real AFC Wimbledon and that footaball fans turn out in their 1000s to support the real team.

Let's give them a Roots Hall "welcome".

I know I am not alone in having a real problem with what MK Dons did. Every team has to work their way up but for some reason Winkleman though that he was above all that, stole Wimbledon's identity, under the guise of saving them. Now, and when he got where he wanted to be he has admitted what he did was wrong, has returned Wimbledon's trophies to them and told us all it is time to move on!

Martin Samuel in the Mail recently when talking about Di Matteo's failure to gain his coaching badges (and his assistant too) said they should not worry and simply take them from another club! - classic.

Let's hope we do our bit on Friday not only to further our cause but also to stop their progress and we can hope that one day Franchise FC get to play the real AFC Wimbledon and that footaball fans turn out in their 1000s to support the real team.

Let's give them a Roots Hall "welcome".

Well said and I couldn't agree more. What they have done could in theory happen to any club. Wimbledon had a long history including Amateur Cup wins, Southern League & Isthmian Champions and ultimately entry into the Football League in their own right, where they prospered and got to the "promised land" of the Premier League where they delighted in rubbing the so called big boys noses in it.

Bear in mind previous threats by the likes of the Rubins & Jobson, there but for the grace of God go us.

I was too young to appreciate why this was so wrong when it was first even mentioned as an idea. I remember thinking at the time that Selhurst Park was always half full when the Dons played and nearer capacity for Palace games. With the amount of clubs in London they were always going to struggle to get big crowds.

Now I realise none of that matters. At the end of the day they took a football club away from the people of Wimbledon. That is plain wrong but does seems to have occurred quite a lot in America. How would you react if someone took over Southend and then said we would be playing our home games in the Peak District.

One thing I will say is at least they have stopped the pretence that they are Wimbledon under a new guise now. When we visited their sorry excuse for a hockey stadium in the League One winning season their programme was all about the links between Wimbledon and Southend and that to me wasn't right. Now they seem to have scrapped all that and admitted they are a club with no history in its infancy but with a lot of potential.

Give them grief people. I'd hope that they realise they are the most hated club of all normal, decent fans in this country. Make this perfectly clear to them. That sort of hostile reception may make players think twice about joining them and sponsors think twice about giving them money. This may ultimately lead to their demise. I have never wished any club to fold in my life. I wouldn't want it to happen to Col U, West Ham or anyone - but the MK Dons are different, they're not a real club and if they went under it would be a cause for celebration.

What Winkleman did to Wimbledon, I detest. It's simply not right to 'steal' league status that way. And as much as I am a baseball fan, I hope to god english football never goes down the franchise route. However i find it hard to blame the current MK Dons fans or players, it's not their fault their club is a sham. Hopefully AFC Wimbledon will continue to rise through the leagues, so one day the two can meet, also hope Chelmsford go up with Wimbledon this year.

Agree wholeheartedly with all the sentiments in this thread. Funny how the people of Milton Keynes really got behind their proper team, Milton Keynes City. Oh hang on, no they folded with gates of about 100 didn't they, silly me.

Fully agree - Scum of the highest order. Should never have been allowed to just buy a club and turn it into MK.

Having been to MK a lot with work I think its a souless place and all there supporters I met are basically Arsenal or Spurs fans that cant be arsed to watch them anymore.

I would like nothing better for them to fail.

Why are people venting their hatred towards Pete Winkleman? He was the one that was actually open and upfront about it all. He's a Milton Keynes man and wanted to build a stadium that could hold concerts, and in working with the local council agreed that the core of it should be a professional football club.

He'd already approached other clubs, Luton was one, QPR another, and they turned him down. It was the then owners of Wimbledon who accepted the offer. Remember, though, he did not offer to buy the club at all, but to just host their games at the new stadium, and at the national hockey stadium until it was built. He only took ownership of MK Dons a year after they moved in, when they were in administration and looking like going out of business, which would have scuppered the stadium plans.

Winkleman is the easy target. Milton Keynes were always going to have a football club. It is the former Wimbledon owners' fault that Wimbledon were wiped off the Football League map and nobody else's.

**** 'em, that's what I say. **** 'em.

Family stuff will be keeping me away on Good Friday, so could someone please shout the following on my behalf?

"Hope you go bust you bunch of *****"
"**** off Winkleman you **** puncher"
"Just die. Go on. **** off and die"

Thanks in advance.

Why are people venting their hatred towards Pete Winkleman? He was the one that was actually open and upfront about it all. He's a Milton Keynes man and wanted to build a stadium that could hold concerts, and in working with the local council agreed that the core of it should be a professional football club.

He'd already approached other clubs, Luton was one, QPR another, and they turned him down. It was the then owners of Wimbledon who accepted the offer. Remember, though, he did not offer to buy the club at all, but to just host their games at the new stadium, and at the national hockey stadium until it was built. He only took ownership of MK Dons a year after they moved in, when they were in administration and looking like going out of business, which would have scuppered the stadium plans.

Winkleman is the easy target. Milton Keynes were always going to have a football club. It is the former Wimbledon owners' fault that Wimbledon were wiped off the Football League map and nobody else's.

At last a sensible answer. Sam Hamman's the man here responsible...

At last a sensible answer. Sam Hamman's the man here responsible...

Winkleman like a spoilt child got something he wanted from someone else amidst a load of vitriol and then publically admitted he was wrong.

Seems to me he may just be a little bit to blame.

Now if he had invested in a junior club in Milton Keynes and built them up.....

I understand what you are saying, but the distateful part here is his efforts to 'buy' a club into MK...whether that be Luton, QPR or Wimbledon. I think it shows a lack of respect for the heritage of football, and complete greed, that he wanted to just re-plant an existing club here, rather than create a MK team that has to battle through the non-league - like Wimbledon had to do (and have to do again).

Back