• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Freddie Ladapo

Interesting and I make you right. Down here, he seemed to constantly be a yard off of everything. I tend to judge strikers on whether they have a goalscorers instinct and he always seemed to be reacting to everything, rather than anticipating it, hence he was easy to play against. For example, we'd knock a ball in the channel and he'd go chasing it, rather than already be on the move anticipating it.

As others have said, it's a lot to do with the space created for him by other players and then it's a case of confidence in front of goal.

He never struck me as someone who is going to make something happen, but he seems to be popping up in the right places for you guys at the moment.

Good win for you last night. I've always had a soft spot for Plymouth, so I hope you make it up the table over the next few weeks.

Best of luck to you as well. Look forward to coming up there in January.

Scored again against Scunthorpe. He’s finally found his scoring boots.

Just won player of the month with 6 goals and 2 assists. Bizarre because he was ****ing ****e for us.

There must have been something there for Palace to sign him. He didn't exactly get a sustained run in the 1st team here. Fair play to the lad, with a run of games he has taken his chance

I remember saying when he signed he had all the attributes to be a decent striker. Pace, height, composure on the ball and an eye for goal given his background. It never really worked out for him here, but that's football. I would disagree that he was ****ing ****e. He didn't really play that much and we probably didn't play to his strengths.

Plymouth is a different team with different players and they may play to his strengths more than we did - he may also be happier, more settled (I believe his deal is long rather than short-term). All makes a difference. You often get strikers who have one or two great seasons and then fail to hit those heights with other clubs. It is almost like football is a team game.

I remember saying when he signed he had all the attributes to be a decent striker. Pace, height, composure on the ball and an eye for goal given his background. It never really worked out for him here, but that's football. I would disagree that he was ****ing ****e. He didn't really play that much and we probably didn't play to his strengths.

Plymouth is a different team with different players and they may play to his strengths more than we did - he may also be happier, more settled (I believe his deal is long rather than short-term). All makes a difference. You often get strikers who have one or two great seasons and then fail to hit those heights with other clubs. It is almost like football is a team game.

Quite so. I was rather hoping he would do the business for us and I thought he was a decent player. It didn't work out with us and that's our loss. No doubt we could do with him in our depleted squad right now. I totally agree with you that we didn't play to his strengths and that appears to be a long term problem with strikers at SUFC.

Fair enough he's having a purple patch at the minute but we were not wrong to get rid of him. He was a donkey for us

Another 2 goals today. Into double figures already, and thats for a side in the relegation zone!

He is doing really well - to be fair though how many of us wanted to keep him at Southend or would have predicted how many goals he has got so far this season ?

He is doing really well - to be fair though how many of us wanted to keep him at Southend or would have predicted how many goals he has got so far this season ?

He was excellent against Pompey. I then missed the next home game as I was on holiday and he apparently had a stinker in the snow and we basically never saw him again.

Him & me both...

Plymouth Argyle striker Freddie Ladapo says he is surprised by how well he has started the season.

The 25-year-old scored both goals in their 2-1 win over Fleetwood Town to take his tally to 10 for the season, and eight in his last nine games.

"I definitely didn't think I'd get 10 before December," he told BBC Devon.
"I didn't think I'd be starting by late October and then I was hoping by then to score a relative amount of goals to the games I'm playing."

He joined the Pilgrims in the summer on a free transfer after half a season at Southend United.
And Ladapo has already scored more goals in four months at Argyle, than at any of the other professional clubs for whom he has played.

He was joined in attack for the final few moments of the game by Ryan Taylor, and the former Crystal Palace youngster says he and the experienced front man can work well together:
"Not starting together was a bit of a surprise as we were working on that for the whole week in training and it worked well," Ladapo added.

"I was able to get myself in probably better positions, whereas when it's just me out there the two centre halves usually look at me and go one in front and one behind and get tight."

Fair enough he's having a purple patch at the minute but we were not wrong to get rid of him. He was a donkey for us
To be fair to him he was in the Palace reserves with Palace presumably having no intention of calling him up to the first squad, so they probably weren't putting much effort into keeping him sharp. What we got was a rusty player that likely also wasn't match fit, a proper pre-season with a club intending to play him probably did him the world of good.

Funny all these players who 'appear' to be rubbish go on and perform elsewhere and yet we never question that it has anything to do with Southend or our set up and everything to do with the player........strange that!

In fairness, there's been plenty who appeared to be rubbish and turned out to be just that, elsewhere.

Good luck to Freddie. He's found a way to show he has an eye for goal that frankly he didn't look like having for us.

Funny all these players who 'appear' to be rubbish go on and perform elsewhere and yet we never question that it has anything to do with Southend or our set up and everything to do with the player........strange that!

Nothing wrong with judging a player(or manager) instantly and making his time with us miserable. In fact I don't even have to see the player I can look up stats and be 'underwhelmed' before he even gets here. Goalkeepers and strikers are our speciality

Players need to know we are a famous sleeping giant, who's fans will only accept Brazil 1970 style football. Just think of the famous 25+ goals a season number 9's we have had over the years.If you don't like that you should never have signed for us.

Would we rather have Freddy with 11 goals and 17 points or the 26 points we currently have ?

Being linked with a deadline day move to Sunderland.

Back