• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mcshrimper

Freddy has now hit 20 goals this season and is joint top scorer with Sharp and Trundle.  If we went up, should we keep Freddy and the probable 20 odd goals he is bound to score for us or, cash in to strengthen the squad so that we can try and establish ourselves in the Championship.  
Freddy’s got another year left on his contract and his value will increase in the Championship.  If Izale McLeod is worth just over 1 million (according to Wolves, I think), than surly we could get at least that for Freddy.

Obviously I’m posing this question without any real knowledge of what money Uncle Ron has available to invest in the squad.  But, are we now in a position where we can hang on to our best players and bring in others, following the clubs recent successes and subsequent increased revenue?  Financially are we doing that well?

Tilly certainly seems to have the skill to be able to identify good players, young or old and I reckon with a sizeable fee for Freddy we could bring in at least 3 or 4 very good players.

I would obviously hate him to leave, and wouldn’t contemplate selling him until after this season, but in order to safeguard our future in the Championship we will need money available to bring in good players.  

With another possible promotion into a higher league I’m not convinced that  Cole or Lawson are ready, at this stage in their career, to be part of the first team.  IMO, it’s also debatable whether Petts, Jupp or even Bentley would be good enough in the Championship.   With Goater retiring, Spinner possibly off to Oz and Edwards (and possibly Smith) looking likely to leave, Tilly is going to have to bring in a number of players.  Not to mention a new set of knees for Bart!

For many teams, and particularly teams our size, survival in the Championship does seem to rely on good management and chairman, but also making the best use of your assets.  Obviously Freddy is one of our main assets, and how we use him will influence the clubs longer term future and success.

very good post, and certainly makes you realise we have a lot to think about next season, if we do get promoted

good post but I say keep Freddy. but maybe that is my heart talking and not my head!

Excellent points. As for Freddy, I'd love to see him extend his contract. This would mean that we either hold on to his services for longer... or if we are destined to part company with him, it'll surely increase his value even more.

I'd be inclinded to try and extend his contract and keep him..

Personally I think it would be madness not to try and get Freddy to extend his contract beyond his current date.

He is head and shoulders above every player in this league bar maybe Trundle and I feel would be a massive asset in the Championship. If Mcloud is worth 1 mill then I am sure Freddy is worth 2 mill.

I also feel that of Freddy can hit 20 next season regardless of if we stay up or not his value will sky rocket.

It would be tempting to cash in on Freddy and if he wont sign a new deal then get rid of his by christmas I feel as we cant afford to lose him on a cheapo tribunal.

Still feel you must keep your prize asset.

You should never sell your best player. Anybody who thinks we should sell him should take a long hard look at themselves.
Im sure tilson will be able to bring in some quality signings even with little money.

the other thing to consider is who would buy freddy?

would have to be someone in championship or Premier$hite i'd imagine - and i'm not sure he would be ready for Premier$hite just yet

the story goes he is very settled at the moment and would not move

that leaves not a lot more than london/SE clubs surely?

I say keep freddy
smile.gif

as people keep pointing out, our team spirit is what has got us to the top and surely this would be destroyed by selling eastwood!?!?

i agree strengthening will be needed if we do go up
however, i'm pretty sure uncle ron and tilly and brush will make plans for that

i do hope we manage to sort out our system for signing players though!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Mar. 26 2006,15:39)]Im sure tilson will be able to bring in some quality signings even with little money.
I'm sure Tilly can bring in a couple of bargains/frees who will no doubt do a great job for us.  But, I feel we need more than just a couple of players.  We need several of Championship quality, and they wont come cheap.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ Mar. 26 2006,15:53)]the other thing to consider is who would buy freddy?

would have to be someone in championship or Premier$hite i'd imagine - and i'm not sure he would be ready for Premier$hite just yet

One team that I thought he might think about joining,and maybe are realistic - are newly promoted Reading as they fit all requirements.
For what its worth I think if we keep Freddy and he scores 20 next year in the championship then what a way to preventing relegation that would be. Keep him!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tomasufc 4eva @ Mar. 26 2006,16:03)]For what its worth I think if we keep Freddy and he scores 20 next year in the championship then what a way to preventing relegation that would be. Keep him!
If we kept Freddy and didn't have the money to bring in enough Championship quality players, we may as well have Dreeeew up front as Freddy will rely on the players around him to help create the chances so he can get his 20 odd goals in the Championship.  If he doesn't get the support and therefore the goals, inevitably his value will go down (along with us!)

This 'problem' is still based on the assumption that the club haven't currently got the money to invest in some quality players - I hope I'm proved wrong.

I hope he stays, but saying that I hoped Angell and Collymore stayed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcshrimper @ Mar. 26 2006,16:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tomasufc 4eva @ Mar. 26 2006,16:03)]For what its worth I think if we keep Freddy and he scores 20 next year in the championship then what a way to preventing relegation that would be. Keep him!
If we kept Freddy and didn't have the money to bring in enough Championship quality players, we may as well have Dreeeew up front as Freddy will rely on the players around him to help create the chances so he can get his 20 odd goals in the Championship.  If he doesn't get the support and therefore the goals, inevitably his value will go down (along with us!)

This 'problem' is still based on the assumption that the club haven't currently got the money to invest in some quality players - I hope I'm proved wrong.

I hope he stays, but saying that I hoped Angell and Collymore stayed.
I can see your point but all of Freddy's recent goals (and most in general) have come from his own skill/hard work etc. I hope that Ron can put a bit of money in for us next season (if we go up). Don't forget he was willing to spend £140k ish on Agogo in the summer and JCR later on (I think  
rock.gif
).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tomasufc 4eva @ Mar. 26 2006,16:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pickledseal @ Mar. 26 2006,15:53)]the other thing to consider is who would buy freddy?

One team that I thought he might think about joining,and maybe are realistic - are newly promoted Reading as they fit all requirements.
For what its worth I think if we keep Freddy and he scores 20 next year in the championship then what a way to preventing relegation that would be. Keep him!
Reading,really? If we stand any chance of surviving in the championship we have got to keep hold of freddie without a doubt. We all see what he is capable of doing(Just look at his first goal yesterday) so if we start thinking about selling him just when promotion is a strong possibility , in my view would be madness and a sure way of us playing div1 football in 2008! If a big club makes a totally ridiculous offer theres probably nothing that Southend could do,but as of yet that hasnt happened so its all ifs and buts, but I know one thing, im sure he is destined for bigger clubs than Reading!

Back in 1998 when Ron and Delancey came to the club he was asked what his intentions were for the club. He stated his and their intention was to get Southend Utd into the Championship and consolidate their position there. He was asked then that if/when that happened would funds be made available to make the nessesary changes required to fulfill that ambition and he stated quite clearly that there would.
I can't see Ron, after all the effort he has gone to to buy out Delancy etc and the proposals he has made about the projected move to Fossets Farm putting all that at risk by not giving Tilly and Brush the tools with which do the job.

As for Freddy. I totally agree, you don't get rid of your best asset and unless he makes some tottaly unrealistic demands in his re-negotiated contract following prommotion I think Tilly and Brush are sensible enough to know and do what's best for the club.

My gut feeling is that if we go up he will stay for one more year. Southend are now in a financial position where they don't need to sell him.
Not to many clubs(apart from the Chelseas & manu's) are flushed with cash these days and its unlikely any club will make us an offer we can't refuse.
The most important thing is to get freddy to sign an extention to his contract this summer.

Revere him like the god he is?

It'd be hard to replace him even with Tilly's skill in the transfer market

This is the way that I see our current squad: -
Good Enough
Flavs
Hunt
Barrett
Gower
Maher
Gray
Bart
Gutts
Bradbury
Sodje
Eastwood

Not Good Enough / Questionable
Jupp
Wilson
Petts
Bentley
Wright

Not Ready / Untested
Cole
Ademeno
Lawson
Moussa
Nash

Retiring / Leaving
Prior
Goater
Smith
Edwards

There are only 11 players in the ‘Good Enough’ column who IMO would be able to hack it in the Championship.  Assuming that we can utilise other squad players, take 3 from the 'Questionable' and 3 from the 'Not Ready' pile and we are left with a squad of 17.  I reckon we will need at least 6 or 7 additions to make a respectably sized squad of 23 or 24.

This season Tilly and Uncle Ron found it difficult competing in the transfer market.  I don’t believe Goater or Bradbury were Tilly’s first choice targets (and possibly not even second choice), but since they came in have certainly done the business.  IIRC Fallon was one of our primary targets and we ‘lost out’ to Swansea who weighed out £300,000 for his services (I’m well chuffed we didn’t buy him though).  No doubt, if we are to get our first or second choice targets we are going to have to be more ruthless and less frugal, as financially we will be competing against bigger teams in the Championship.  Saying  that we also need to ensure that we continue to have a sensible and appropriate wage structure for our new division.  I’m sure that we will utilise the loan market more and also will be able to successfully tempt some very good players out of League 1 for a reasonable fee and wage.  This may leave us having to find the cash for 3 or so players.  

I know that there’s loads of ifs, buts and maybes (and a huge chunk of opinion), but for me one of the great things about getting promoted to a new league (apart from being able to rub Col Ewe’s fans noses in it) is how we are going to restructure in order for us to compete and continue to be successful.

I’m sure that Tilly/Brush and good old Uncle Ron have got all the angles covered.

UP THE SHRIMPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcshrimper @ Mar. 26 2006,15:17)]of what money Uncle Ron has available to invest in the squad.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Mar. 27 2006,09:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcshrimper @ Mar. 26 2006,15:17)]of what money Uncle Ron has available to invest in the squad.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Keep the faith. I know of Uncle Ron via family connections and he will NOT fail at any business venture he is part of. He has stated that this club will be a success and finances WILL be available next season. It has also been said that WHEN the stadium goes ahead he will be able to run the club with the monies from all the extra business's around the stadium, without having to use gate receipts, therefore I assume the gate receipts would be used for purchasing and paying players and wages.

Back