• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Freddy Eastwood

carlhoughton

Is it me or since freddy scored that winnning goal against man united. he doesn't really seem like wanting to play. Week in week out he gets started when other players train there hardest and dont get started and only every now and again does he make an impact. everytime i saw the ball on the wing on saturday freddy did not sprint to get in the box he dropped off were as its his job to put the ball in the net! he isn't exactly a role considering his disgrace in bakers bar the other either. will any body even miss him if he left in the summer ??

He's played no differently this season than he did last year, in my opinion.

Some may say that you cant say that about "our" freddy but I find him frustratingly lazy sometimes too and am at the end of my tether with his offside problem. Fact - Its not always the Lino's, he IS often offside. Admittedly the officials havent been that great but I think we need to take off the rose tinted glasses sometimes. I personally thought the Lino was right 9 times out of 10 against Leeds (especially influencing the denied penalty apparently).
As a striker Freddy should know to look along the line more, than he does, and keep onside. He has sufficient pace and trickery to beat alot of defenders one-on-one so why does he think he needs that extra yard. I hear what you say about him dropping too deep sometimes but I think thats the type of forward he really is. He likes to run at people, he likes the ball in front of him, so he has to drop deep sometimes. Rooney does the same. Realistically we havent got an old fashioned goal poacher in the side, although I was impressed with Foran getting the better of Burnley the way that he did.
HOWEVER, Freddy does produce that piece of magic occassionally and wins games for us. If we were to take away his 15 or so goals this year then we would have been certain League One next year weeks (maybe months) ago and wouldnt have had the cup run we all enjoyed. His goals have kept us in the hunt to fight another day so I think we have to always start with him in the hope that he will produce the goods when we desperately need them. If he plays particularly bad though then I am more than happy for Tilly to sub him (but with who?).

He's played no differently this season than he did last year, in my opinion.

Quite, but I think he's been sussed by second division defences. I fear he may have reached his level. One has to ask why he wasn't snapped up at Christmas. On his current showings I doubt he will command one million let alone three. And I doubt a top level team will risk him.

Hmmm Fare posts.....My opinion of Freddy seems to change from weeks to weeks ..Abit like he does I guess..For sure his heart has not been in the right place at times this season. I know for a FACT he was hoping to move in the Transfer window. But that said, he does have the greatest first touch and control out of all our team..His consistant offside is a worry and he can look very lazy at times. His spark I think is having nobody to service his runs .(Pmsl that sounded bad)... I mean to think as fast as he does. I have no doubt he can do alot more at a higher level ..it depends on him and his attitude. But he has still had a great season for us.

Last edited:
To be fair to Freddy he has probably had half the chances of last season because of more quality defending and still scored 15 goals this season. Think of how many times he has hit the woodwork this season - another 5 goals to this total and he would be celebrated as the best striker in the league.

His touch is still pretty bloody good and he is a massive danger. He will continue to get better - I would be delighted if he stays.

Is it me or since freddy scored that winnning goal against man united. he doesn't really seem like wanting to play. Week in week out he gets started when other players train there hardest and dont get started and only every now and again does he make an impact. everytime i saw the ball on the wing on saturday freddy did not sprint to get in the box he dropped off were as its his job to put the ball in the net! he isn't exactly a role considering his disgrace in bakers bar the other either. will any body even miss him if he left in the summer ??

Goalscorers win games. Freddy is a goalscorer. With him playing we have a better chance of winning games. If we win enough games we will survive. It's not rocket science.

its interesting to note that Freddy has scored exactly the same amount of goals this season as Nugent (albeit having made 5 more starts), yet my Preston mate never seems to slate there star player!?!?

Freddy is there to score goals, and goals he scores. Maybe if he had a good partner who also chipped in with double figures, and we didnt have to rely so heavily upon him for our goals, the burden and expectation wouldnt lead to such critisism!

I agree that from time to time he produces some magic but we don't have a poacher to put the ball in the back of the net from the wings. but freddy is the type of player that drops off and tries to beat players. but if he can't score at least once evry two games then we aren't going to win games. Considering, that many of our other strikers have not scored many goals at all this season. we all put pressure on freddy to score every game.

Is it me or since freddy scored that winnning goal against man united. he doesn't really seem like wanting to play.

Its not just you, but its not right.

Did you see the dismay on his face when he missed against Luton or the absolute delight when he scored against Leicester ?

I find it frustrating the amount of abuse Freddy gets.

Its obvious Freddy wanted to go in January, and who can blame him. Because of this many people are getting on his back for the way he plays, even though thats just the way he is.

The offsides are frustrating, but thats partly because he needs to time his runs, and partly because midfielders dont pick up his runs.

He is laid back but the accusations of laziness are irritating, I dont want him chasing every ball, I want him to have energy for when he needs it ! Thierry Henry has never chased a ball in his life, he would be slaughtered at Roots Hall for being lazy too.

He isnt perfect but he wants to score goals to keep us up!

its interesting to note that Freddy has scored exactly the same amount of goals this season as Nugent (albeit having made 5 more starts), yet my Preston mate never seems to slate there star player!?!?

Freddy is there to score goals, and goals he scores. Maybe if he had a good partner who also chipped in with double figures, and we didnt have to rely so heavily upon him for our goals, the burden and expectation wouldnt lead to such critisism!

I am in total agreement with this statement.:guns:

Some may say that you cant say that about "our" freddy but I find him frustratingly lazy sometimes too and am at the end of my tether with his offside problem.

I totaly agree with you there. He has become very lazy and does not seem to be putting enough effort into the games lately. Even the best of out players should be pulling their weight to get us out of relegation.

Fact: Freddy Eastwood is the player with the highest offside count in the championship. (If any of you read the League Leader then you would already know this)

Freddy is still far and away our best player. By that I mean our player with the best footballing brain, the best goal scorer, our most likely match-winner and as someone mentioned in another thread, possibly the best passer. I think any perceived lack of effort is a result of his continual frustration at other players' not being on his wavelength. He makes runs, finds space and plays balls that a lot of the time go unread. Bluntly, he deserves to be playing with better players.

Collymore, a similar kind of player for us had a massive advantage in that he possessed a far superior physical strength. This allowed him to boss 'division 2' games in a way Freddy wants and tries to - but just can't.

I'm not sure anyone is "slating" Freddy, Dave. I would start with him everytime, no question. I'm more than happy for him to drop deep and hoof a screamer into the top of the net, any day of the week. I'm reasonably happy for him to drift in and out of the game if it means he conserves his energy and produces a moment of magic for us. I'll reiterate again that my only frustration is the Offside problem he has because, with officials still not quite understanding the revised rule, he's stopping other players from potentially scoring. There was a moment against Leeds where he ran into the North East corner chasing a ball. He was in an offside position when the ball was played through. Foran ran behind him in his tracks and screamed at Freddy not to touch it. Now I thought Freddy could only be waved if he touched it ? But the Lino still flagged immediately and the Ref still whistled. With the Officials still unsure of what to do, we need to wise up and stay onside. We have no choice otherwise play, and our pressure, breaks down and the opposition have a clear opportunity, from the resultant free kick, to clear the ball up field. If Freddy can tighten up on his timing then I think he could match his previous two seasons and top the divisions scoring chart. Thats my only gripe.

Quite, but I think he's been sussed by second division defences. I fear he may have reached his level. One has to ask why he wasn't snapped up at Christmas. On his current showings I doubt he will command one million let alone three. And I doubt a top level team will risk him.

See my post on another thread: I think Eastwood was deliberately over-valued to put off potential vendors. I have to agree with you: I think Eastwood has indeed reached his level and I fear that he may not make any future transition into the Premiership without a certain amount of unease. (I concede that my opinion is based on a reliance on limited TV exposure for Southend United and brief snapshots from the Football League Review but I would defend them with the observation that other clubs might not have had much more coverage.) As someone else pointed out, his performances since *that* goal against Manchester United have been somewhat erratic ...

The amount of times I screamed at Freddy to get into the box last Saturday was untrue but that being said that was in the heat of the game, so to speak, and on reflection I can appreciate that that really isn't the kind of striker Freddy is. It becomes all the more apparent post match when you consider that he is not the only one that fails to get into the box when runs have been made from out wide.

As has been said before, take away the 11 or 12 goals he has scored in the league this season and the woeful strike rate of our other forwards and we really would be in the mire and staring League 1 football squarely in the face.

A bit like JCR, Freddy can be a frustrating player to watch but he also has the ability to conjure up something out of nothing, as we nearly witnessed against Leeds, and that alone should get him the nod in the starting eleven.

On a side note. To me he has, at times, looked woefully unfit these last few months and has seemed to be struggling with his breathing. Twice I have seen him run to the touchline and take some kind of liniment which he has then rubbed in his hands and applied to his face and onto his shirt.

I concede that my opinion is based on a reliance on limited TV exposure for Southend United and brief snapshots from the Football League Review ..

Your evaluation isnt far out.

Freddy is capable of utter brilliance and can score from nothing.

However as the higher quality of defenders have shown he only has one string to his bow, scoring from 18-22 yards. Whilst I dont agree he is Lazy as others do he does need to stop trying to score every goal from the edge of the box and get in the penalty area a lot more.

Until he can vary his game and contribute in other ways when that route is sussed out then Im not sure he would get many chances of the Premiership.

Now West Ham or Charlton in the Championship is a different kettle of fish...

See my post on another thread: I think Eastwood was deliberately over-valued to put off potential vendors. I have to agree with you: I think Eastwood has indeed reached his level and I fear that he may not make any future transition into the Premiership without a certain amount of unease. (I concede that my opinion is based on a reliance on limited TV exposure for Southend United and brief snapshots from the Football League Review but I would defend them with the observation that other clubs might not have had much more coverage.) As someone else pointed out, his performances since *that* goal against Manchester United have been somewhat erratic ...

Difficult one. I still maintain the fact he is not shining as he should is that he is "too good" for our current team. Because of this it is going to take a risk on the part of any potential buyers to take a punt on him now - and this is not something modern-day football chairmen or supporters are keen to do! I feel a little sorry for Freddy; there's no doubt he's become frustrated, dare I say it even a little stagnant at Roots Hall. What saddens me is that I'm not convinced he has the mentality to deal with it (on and off the pitch) and thereby become better and stronger.

Well it is doubtful you can take away facts...Re his goals....I have to agree with other comments on this post and I am a great fan of Freddy.

I doubt his heart is Prem class.

He does not have a forward goal scoring partner.

His Value depends on the state of play at the time.

He is a lazy git at times.Re when there is an offside call at times he knows it .er? and just walks back.

But..
As I have said before.. His first touch ..vision and skill is without question. He is our star.....And thank god we still have him this season.

Back