• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would love to get Freddy back, but as others have pointed out we don't really need him at the moment and financially probably couldn't afford it anyway.

However at the moment we are looking good for promotion (I know its still early in the season but if we can keep it up there's no reason why promotion shouldn't be the aim) and next season in League 1 there would IMO be a space for Freddy in our squad. Harris would be another year older, we could release Sturrock Jr., Crawford doesn't seem to be cutting it at League 2 level let alone a step up and Dickinson may or may not extend his contract. In the summer Freddy would be available on a free assuming he doesn't sign a multi year contract with anyone else in that time so could be signed for a bit less in wages. Also the inevitable rush to get shirts with Eastwood on the back would offset some of the cost.

Unless he sorts out his lazy attitude and proves it, we have more chance of seeing Lionel Messi sign for us than Freddy.

Will not happen. Certainly not this season anyway.

I don't think so either, I said at the beginning of the season that it wouldn't surprise me if he rejoined us were we to get promoted at the end of this season though. For now it's a near impossibility IMHO.

Why would we take freddy back? We are top of the league and he would need time to get used to his teammates, whilst he is adjusting to our play style we could be losing unnecessary points. We have Harris and dicko, why risk it on getting back a legend? Remember sturrock had 2 periods at Plymouth and from off the top of my head him returning for a second time as a club legend didn't end so well

Whether you are a 'Freddy' worshipper, a 'Freddy' fan or you just appreciate what he did for us - there is one thing that Freddy Eastwood is to this club, that is a legend, the 'special' player who comes along once a decade if your lucky. Our Stan Collymore, Our Freddy Eastwood -

For me, I am somewhere between the fan and the appreciative mould when it comes to Freddy, I saw his flaws in terms of laziness towards the end, the fact it seemed to be all about him near the end and I was also not a fan of his 'other antics' that were rumoured away from the club, but regardless of each person's opinions (self included) he was magical for us. With that Freddy in our side, you felt that we always had a chance to beat anyone - as the Man United game and nearly Tottenham game proved (Carling Cup match).

He turnt draws into us nicking wins with individual brilliance - he had that x factor about him. I said the other night, with our team ethic, strong defence, we just need that 22-25 goal season man. Yes Corr did that last year but I mean a proper scorer and match winner - I fear that Corr, Harris and Dickinson are too injury prone to last a full season without absence for periods of time.

It is often said you should never go back, but in this case, as long as the main boxes are ticked, I say it's a no brainer to try get him on board. Assuming the wages do not cripple us, assuming he has the right attitude and most importantly assuming Paul Sturrock wants him then I don't see why we dont try. If Coverntry are releasing him (is this correct?), then that means his contract would be paid up, if its on the reported 7k a week, maybe Freddy can "come home" and play for the love of football, be nearer to home - and I suspect still earn a healthy £60-80K a year.

Paul Sturrock despite what people think is the most important man in this, if its possible, it should be his choice and only his.

Not one player is ever bigger than the team, but this one player could make the team bigger!!!

UTB

Freddy would give us that extra quality to get us promoted. Dont see it happening but would love him back.

freddy eastwood= legend would love to see him back at the hall end of.
Also it would put at least 500 extra bums on seats (if not more)

I would expect at least an extra 2000 per game. I know lots of people who arnt Southend fans who come to games just to see Eastwood play before.

Anyone who thinks this is a risk not worth taking let me remind them that Corr last season and Dickinson this season were much bigger risks due to their injury record! Do you think we should not of signed them?

If we could do a deal which is strongely based on performance it could tempt him back and get the best out of him.

Freddy is a confidence player. The championship has proved a bit tough for him but there is an enormous gulf to League 2 and we all know he could destroy teams in this league.

Heart says yes

Head says no

I LOVED Freddy when he was here, but he changed after THAT goal, i'm not knocking him for it as who wouldn't after such an achievement, but the FE that left for Wolves was just not the same one that fired us to back to back promotions

Echoing Ayrshire's earlier comment, Freddy come home.

Bring him back just to play and get fit with the promise of a contract albeit at much reduced wages from next summer. I actually think he'd compliment Harris or Dickinson really well, and much as I hate to admit it, I think Bazza may be on the tail end of a career heavily influenced by injury. He'll be out of contract next summer.

Hottest Post of the Year - Freddy

Just seen this:

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...stwood-to-find-another-club-92746-29548632/2/

Unless I've missed it, amazed not already reported on our Zone.

Lots of posts on the Cov City forum, none are too complimentary about 'Fat Fred':

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/11861-fat-freddie-on-the-way-out

Martin get your cheque book out, the prodigal has to return (ok, I know there's a 100 reasons why he sahould not, but could be fun ................?

UTB

Well, apols for starting another thread but I blame the mod who made the daft decision to stick this on a lesser link, it deserves to be on main,

Yep, it'd be a risk bringing him back, but surely a loan deal could be struck with us only paying part of the wages? The extra bums he'd put on seats (at more than a fiver a head) would pay the rest, and if he failed to put in the effort Luggy would just put him in the ring with the demented Morrocan.

If Coventry are that desperate to get him out of the club, it is probable they would let him go until January on loan for little or no outlay to any interested club, to keep the dressing room there together. I would love to see him back in some kind of role, as for getting used to a different style of play now...didn't he score a hat-trick on his debut for us?? Didn't take him long that time around, Im sure he'd fit back in fine!!

18 goals in 117 games is Blair-like.

Sounds like he has lost his appetite for the game somewhat, ill-discipline, not looking after his wieght and fitness. Sounds like a shadow of the player we had.

Those goal figures don't tell the whole story. Chris Coleman in his wisdom, turned Super striker Freddy into a below average midfielder. Clearly too lazy for midfield and not the greatest tackler.
He seems to have lost his desire for the game and is happy to pick up his wages. He needs to go to a club that will get his weight down, get him fit and play him in his proper role as a striker.

Well, apols for starting another thread but I blame the mod who made the daft decision to stick this on a lesser link, it deserves to be on main,

Just FYI SS Pubey, who originally started the thread, put it in Ex-Shrimpers himself .. i'm making the "daft" decision to merge your new thread with it :winking:

A heavy defeat on Saturday will I suspect change a few peoples opinions as to whether or not Freddy would be an asset. If we have the financial resource then I say we should do all we can to get him. As the season goes on we will need all the help we can get in order to get out of this league.

Yep, it'd be a risk bringing him back, but surely a loan deal could be struck with us only paying part of the wages? The extra bums he'd put on seats (at more than a fiver a head) would pay the rest, and if he failed to put in the effort Luggy would just put him in the ring with the demented Morrocan.

I put it in the ex-shrimpers, because Freddy is an ex-shrimper.

Yeah, really daft I know:thump:

Back