• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
It's been briefly discussed in another thread but I thought this deserved a discussion of it's own.

So, who is best suited to play alongside Freddy?

I see Harris and Benyon too similar to Freddy as the 'fox in the box' style forward. In my opinion there are 2 options.

1. Bilel Mohsni - This is the one I think 90% of our fanbase want to see. Whilst Bilel at times looks clumsy up front he has the ability, like Freddy to create something out of nothing, remember that screamer against Northampton!?

It may seem extreme to mention them both in the same sentence but Bilel could fill the 'Shaun Goater role' very well. Have Bilel winning the headers, pulling defenders all over the place and just causing general havoc in the opposition penalty box.

Yes, it's a cliche but Bilel does also have very good feet for a big man. Key word there, FEET. Whether it be from a flick on or on the recieving end of a through ball Freddy needs the ball to his feet.

2. Blair 'Marmite' Sturrock - This one will certainly divide opinion. Like it or not, Blair is the only player in our squad who can hold the ball up and will very rarely concede possession.

If Freddy is carrying a few extra pounds, lacking the match sharpness and maybe lost a yard of pace, he needs someone to hold the ball up for him. Blair gets a lot of the ball in wide areas and is able to put in a good delivery into the penalty box.

You stick a cross in the box, on the FLOOR to Freddy and 9 times out of 10 the ball ends up in the net.

Discuss.

Last edited:
I have banged the 'Mohsni drum' quite a bit since I joined the forum and would love to see him back in a settled team , but think it's a big ask to hope he can form a strike partnership with Freddy.
I think he remains a centre back ( certainly not a wide midfield player / winger as he was played for a while this season ).
I certainly see the possibility of 'chaos' if he plays up front and it could work against some teams , but I also see a lot of 'offsides' and 'fouls conceded'.
So , as much as I would love to see Mohsni back , I don't see it as being upfront.
I would choose Harris or Benyon and hope/pray that the deleveries to the front man are along the ground and to feet ( or am I dreaming....... )

It's been briefly discussed in another thread but I thought this deserved a discussion of it's own.

So, who is best suited to play alongside Freddy?

I see Harris and Benyon too similar to Freddy as the 'fox in the box' style forward. In my opinion there are 2 options.

1. Bilel Mohsni - This is the one I think 90% of our fanbase want to see. Whilst Bilel at times looks clumsy up front he has the ability, like Freddy to create something out of nothing, remember that screamer against Northampton!?

It may seem extreme to mention them both in the same sentence but Bilel could fill the 'Shaun Goater role' very well. Have Bilel winning the headers, pulling defenders all over the place and just causing general havoc in the opposition penalty box.

Yes, it's a cliche but Bilel does also have very good feet for a big man. Key word there, FEET. Whether it be from a flick on or on the recieving end of a through ball Freddy needs the ball to his feet.

2. Blair 'Marmite' Sturrock - This one will certainly divide opinion. Like it or not, Blair is the only player in our squad who can hold the ball up and will very rarely concede possession.

If Freddy is carrying a few extra pounds, lacking the match sharpness and maybe lost a yard of pace, he needs someone to hold the ball up for him. Blair gets a lot of the ball in wide areas and is able to put in a good delivery into the penalty box.

You stick a cross in the box, on the FLOOR to Freddy and 9 times out of 10 the ball ends up in the net.

Discuss.

Freddy is as far as fox in the box as you will get. He prefers getting the ball outside of the box if possible and always hung around 20 yards out to score longer range efforts.

Either Harris or Benyon would be decent partners for Freddy, but Id like to see Mohsni up front with him. He wont form a partnership with Freddy but his physical threat will give the opposition something to think about. Having to worry about Mohsni and Freddy will cause defences problems.

Freddy is as far as fox in the box as you will get. He prefers getting the ball outside of the box if possible and always hung around 20 yards out to score longer range efforts.

Either Harris or Benyon would be decent partners for Freddy, but Id like to see Mohsni up front with him. He wont form a partnership with Freddy but his physical threat will give the opposition something to think about. Having to worry about Mohsni and Freddy will cause defences problems.

Eastwood is an all round goal scorer if he wants to be a fox in the box then he will be. The amount of goals he scored for us for general anticipation was brilliant.

I'd like to see Mohsni and Fred upfront on Friday night it would be chaos!

Eastwood is an all round goal scorer if he wants to be a fox in the box then he will be. The amount of goals he scored for us for general anticipation was brilliant.

I'd like to see Mohsni and Fred upfront on Friday night it would be chaos!

He can score goals in the area, that doenst mean thats his natural way of playing. My point was he is different to Harris/Benyon like chalk and cheese.
If you had to give the ball to any of them 20 yards out you would pick Eastwood every time to be the one who could score from there.

Eastwood is also capable of creating his own chances, the other two rely on chances created for them.

I think Harris is the best suited to play the Goater role. He may not win as much in the air but he'll be as intelligent with the ball and create as much space at the Goat did.

I like the idea of Bilel as a striker but if we're looking for who is going to bring the best out of Eastwood then I don't see that as being Mohsni.

Unless Phillips is cleared to start on Friday, the Mohsni option will be, as Del Boy would say, epidemic, as he would have to play at the back. I'd probably go with Harris as well.

I think Harris is the best suited to play the Goater role. He may not win as much in the air but he'll be as intelligent with the ball and create as much space at the Goat did.

I like the idea of Bilel as a striker but if we're looking for who is going to bring the best out of Eastwood then I don't see that as being Mohsni.

What he said. With bells on.

Blair. He's good at holding the ball up and Eastwood likes getting the ball like this.

Agree. Don't think you can describe Freddy as a 'fox in the box' striker. How many goals did he score for us from outside the area? Yes he scored plenty from close range too but that's what strikers do. I see Eastwood as an all-round, Wayne Rooney kind of striker who likes to play 'in the whole' and receive the ball outside the area and run at defenders, although maybe he's not like that anymore. I think at the moment, Benyon or Harris are the best partners and our most in-form strikers and I imagine Sturrock will stick with Benyon on Friday. Mohsni's more likely to partner him as a sub if we're chasing the game, as PS planned to do on Saturday before Phillips got injured.

On top form I agree that Blair would probably be a good partner for him, I just don't think he's 100% match fit yet. I still don't agree about Mohsni, he's not much of a provider is he? Harris for me.

I have to say i don't think that Harris is the man to partner him up front, he has been a disapointment for me so far, and i feel that he doesnt make space for the other striker and he doesnt have the killer ball that brings other people into space. Having Bilel up top to win the headers, as we seemingly seem to keep reverting to long ball tactics when football isn't working. Knocking it back to Eastwood, who we all know can bang one in from 20 yeards. For me Sturrock isn't as good as he's made out to be either. Freddy and Bilel - maybe just maybe we can get back up there

Tough one to choose, but for me it's between Harris and Benyon. Benyon holds the ball up very well for a small guy and has hit a bit of form recently, so I would start him. If it isn't working, Bilel is the perfect player to bring on to make an impact.

For me it has to be Mohsni, would just so like to see him and Freddy up front together. However if Philips still not fit I guess Mohsni would probably have to start at the back. If not, Harris or Sturock maybe.

I think benyon should partner freddy, i know a lot of you guys fancy mosh up front. But ido think having mosh in the back 4 is better for the team as he is solid and can be used for corners and set pieces. Anyway we might be able to keep him on the pitch !

Back