• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Free Anti-Virus?

EastStandBlue

Life President
It appears some bint i let use my laptop has managed to put a few Back door trojans on my laptop as well as stupid levels of spyware. Now, i was sent to a link to download some Anti Virus software that found everything malicious, then when i went to remove everything it told me that i could for a cheap price of £24.95...

If i'm going to pay £24.95, i'll go and renew Norton that expired last month. Is there any free Anti Virus software i could pick up?

I use Avast Home edition its really good and once the suscription starts to run out you just uninstall it and reinstall it again.

Thanks a lot people... Downloaded AVG and ran it for 1hr 30 minutes to discover i had well over 2,000 infections. Appears someone had forced in using a Trojan and used an obscure file name to store ridiculous amounts of zip. files.

All clear now and my comp is back up to speed. Said bint has been barred from the house.

AVG has been brilliant for me I asked this question a few months back and it has been sound as a pound. :D

Another vote for AVG here + adaware plus 2 or 3 others whose name i can't remember on the train. I have these running on and old ME desktop together with a free firewall kerio. Though this takes an hour or so to set up with rules which are also available on the web they are so rigid that nothing gets through. I fully pass any firewall test available online - though i did have to tweak my Router firwall to achieve this.

I' also had Spam 100% identified using AVG and Thunderbird rather/ //than Outlook or Outlook express for emails.

I also have a free app to block kids access to adult sites almost 100% success and i can see what they (and my wife :p ) have tried to view.

I will replicate this on the laptop when the free years Mcafee runs out - though i will say this is MILES better than Norton and barely affects system performance. Norton also blocks your ability to create system restore points - the manual get around for this is painful.I found this out the painful way -ie a complete system reinstall www.thetechguy.org is a great site btw

I can't remember where i read it but I read recently that a lot of free security software actually installs its own trojan that will never be detected by the software. I'd stick to the tried and tested path suggested above.

Also, system restore can actually really screw up your computer so I'd consider whether you want to use this. you're probably better off keeping a backup externally and formatting if/when the need arises. The time I used system restore, it seemed to cause some sort of internal conflict in my computer (civil war, if you like) and I had to end up formatting anyway.

Back