• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh Weir

Not just a roundabout⭐
Genius or unneccesary lunacy?

BBC

I had surreally hoped this was some sort of trained skunk with a 10 yard spray range - maybe I shouldn't have watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks whilst hammered the other night. Given my initial disappointment I can't decide whether this is a really good idea that should be taken up here. Obviously, the next invention on the radar would have to be an accurate yet pocket sized 10 yard measuring device that could be attached to the can (presumably using lasers)...

The Argentine Football Association is to introduce an aerosol spray to stop defenders creeping closer to the ball during a free-kick.

From next year, referees will use the spray in first division matches.

Referees will mark a temporary white line 9.15 metres (10 yards) from the ball, which defenders cannot cross. The spray will disappear 30 seconds later.

Pablo Silva, who invented the spray, got the idea when he failed to score with a free-kick at an amateur match.

"In the 88th minute, we were losing 1-0 and won a free-kick on the edge of the area. When I took the kick, the wall was three metres away," he told Reuters earlier this year.

"The referee didn't book anyone and didn't do anything," he said.

"We lost the game, and driving home later, with a mixture of anger and bitterness, I thought that we must invent something to stop this."

The spray has been given a trial in second division matches and a similar spray has been used in some competitions in Brazil.

Genius or unneccesary lunacy?

BBC

I had surreally hoped this was some sort of trained skunk with a 10 yard spray range - maybe I shouldn't have watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks whilst hammered the other night. Given my initial disappointment I can't decide whether this is a really good idea that should be taken up here. Obviously, the next invention on the radar would have to be an accurate yet pocket sized 10 yard measuring device that could be attached to the can (presumably using lasers)...

I reckon that it should be acid based....and will disintegrate your football boots with in seconds if you step on it.

Also they should have marksman on the touch line who can pick of any offenders who cross the line with a bullet to head!!

Souds like a pratical solution to the problem and should take away controversy of encroachment.

I would like to see this taken a step further. The referee could place a row of landmines 10 yards from the ball. Any defender looking to encroach may charge down the shot but could loose a limb in the process....Kind of taking one for the team?

Thoughts?

Good idea, but a line that disappears after 30 seconds? All you have to do is mess around for 30 secs then you can start encroaching again. Maybe aswell as the line there should be an extra offocial on the sidelines ready to run on and nailgun the players feet to the ground so they can't creep forward.

Yes, I've heard of white lines that disappear in 30 seconds.

It's a good job they didn't have this in Paul Merson's time, the look of paranoid confusion on his face as a large white line appears and then disappears would have been too much to bear.

Referees will mark a temporary white line 9.15 metres (10 yards) from the ball

I would also like to see a 10 yard ruler introduced to counter midget referees (for some reason referees are disproportionately small, must have something to do with their Napoleon complexes) with midget strides.

Boring games would be enlivened by seeing referees struggling to carry it, and the potential for the ref being hit by the ball would increase so everyone is a winner.

I would also like to see a 10 yard ruler introduced to counter midget referees (for some reason referees are disproportionately small, must have something to do with their Napoleon complexes) with midget strides.

Boring games would be enlivened by seeing referees struggling to carry it, and the potential for the ref being hit by the ball would increase so everyone is a winner.

Not to mention the hilarious Frank Spencer style attempting to run down the tunnel at half time whilst holding it sideways...

Not the worst idea ever made.

Would like to see this tested and see how it goes.

Is it only me or can you see a classic 'plank' moment there???

Back