• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

GBJ

⭐⭐
Staff member
simple. dougie is overrated. despite the odd flick and occasional through ball he does not do a lot. fair enough, nice pass to set up betsy and scored a nice goal 2 weeks ago, but he is simply past it. no commitment, no passion. a true lazy player, yet he is one of the top wage earners at the club with some fans absolutely worshiping him. when he first joined he was a very exciting prospect. i still believe him working behind the scenes can't be bad, but his constant whinging and pointing on the pitch has a clear negative effect on some players. he has no pace so can't/won't take anyone on, and when he does he gets nowhere. then he won't try and win the ball back, instead he points or shouts instructions to someone else. he is not our best striker and not even our second best! those titles are occupied by frenchy (laurent) and revs. people say he "oozes class" and all that but afterall, he hasn't exactly set the world alight during his career. 0.3 goals per game if im not mistaken. i totally expect the backlash from this thread but am not too bothered. i'd rather speak my mind than be a sheep and agree with majority, just to live an easy life. i wonder if anyone else is brave enough to go against the majority and speak their mind? i know i'm not the only one who's fed up with him.

We have Moussa, very young and extremely talented - I wouldn't put it down to coincidence that Franck improves as Dougie came in. Experience is vital in this team and I think with the likes of Johnny Herd, James Walker and Franck Moussa then we need someone with the experience to show them how to mentally contain themselves. How many times are mishaps from youngsters blamed on simple "inexperience" - Well what Dougie does is he allows those mistakes to be muscled out by showing them how they can do it, remember that the pitch is not the only place that Dougie can help. The young first teamers see what Dougie does in training and try to build upon it and bring it into there own game.

Francis Laurent has pace, skills on the ground and in the air. Stamina is impeccable and composure can't be faulted. We haven't seen enough of Dougie and Francis playing together but I think the combination of Francis Laurent's youth and skill, and Dougie's experience and vision they could mould very well together. Today (14.02.09) you bring this argument up but I think that it was Laurent coming back in off an ankle injury, he was never going to play at his best but I really think he will be up for the game against the scum and Dougie knows what local derbies mean to the fans. Your complaining that Dougie has not scored too much this season, but he has been cursed with injuries, which is something that we need to take with precaution with him because of the being old issue and I think that him pumping the through balls and low passes in to Laurent will really be a good assistance to our frontline.

Finally, you say that Revell is above Freedman in our top strikers, however you also complain that Freedman doesn't score enough and other than providing assists he does nothing. A slight contradiction in terms, I don't remember Revell to be the "goals-for-fun" type?

0.3 goals a game isn't great for a striker, however for a 35 year old, heavily experienced, goal assistant. Perhaps it isn't that bad after all

I commend you entirely for speaking your mind and not being conformist however do not consider me to be conformist, its what I believe, and I hope you don't try and shunt me out but instead have a mature natured conversation where we can see each others point of view.

Last edited:
simple. dougie is overrated. despite the odd flick and occasional through ball he does not do a lot. fair enough, nice pass to set up betsy and scored a nice goal 2 weeks ago, but he is simply past it. no commitment, no passion. a true lazy player, yet he is one of the top wage earners at the club with some fans absolutely worshiping him. when he first joined he was a very exciting prospect. i still believe him working behind the scenes can't be bad, but his constant whinging and pointing on the pitch has a clear negative effect on some players. he has no pace so can't/won't take anyone on, and when he does he gets nowhere. then he won't try and win the ball back, instead he points or shouts instructions to someone else. he is not our best striker and not even our second best! those titles are occupied by frenchy (laurent) and revs. people say he "oozes class" and all that but afterall, he hasn't exactly set the world alight during his career. 0.3 goals per game if im not mistaken. i totally expect the backlash from this thread but am not too bothered. i'd rather speak my mind than be a sheep and agree with majority, just to live an easy life. i wonder if anyone else is brave enough to go against the majority and speak their mind? i know i'm not the only one who's fed up with him.

Have to agree, he seems very injury prone too.

Today i thought he deserved to be subbed off, and not Theo.

TBH, i've expected more from his since he's been with us. Do we really want such a high wage earner on the books that is so injury prone?

I really want him to do well, and still do, but the jury is still out imho.

The guy is absolutely quality! He proved today that a bit of magic from him can provide the difference from 1 point and 3 points. As someone said above he provides experince and is going to make younger players like Barney, Walker and Laurent become much better players through this. His positioning is top class and whenever he has the ball the defenders don't know what to do. Yes, he's getting older and hasn't got the pace, is very injury prone probably due to the fact he is in his last year(s) and therefore can't get back and help us much.

I've heard alot of people say he should of been taken off today, who set up the goal that won us the match? Tilly knew what he was doing he made, he took off Theo because even though he scored he wasn't brilliant and he knew Dougie is one of those players that when not playing well can turn a game on it's head. Why is there always negativity when we loose!? We won, let's get behind the lads!

This is surely a wind up !!!

I know Freedman has had a few injuries this year but we are a better team with him. He's always talking to the team and helping them. Our league record with him in the team is;

Pld 10 W 6 D 1 L 3 and he's scored 5 goals in this time. Thats 1 in 2 ! a 23 goal return if he were to play a full season.

Our league record without him reads;

Pld 18 W 3 D 6 L 9 !!!!

We're a better more co-hesive team with him playing.

I'd agree he is a little bit injury prone, but all our strikers at the club seem to be at the moment.

I'd have to disagree with stating that Freedman's scoring record over his career of 0.32 (not 0.30) is not that good. That works out at around 14 goals for a full season, which aint bad. It's certainly more than twice as good as Revell's 0.14 that the original poster rates as better.

Take your points, just about; but look at the time this was posted!?

And then look at today's game, one dissallowed and one pass for the winner!

rubbish without dougie in the last 2 games we would have 1 point not 6,
however everyones intitled with their opinion,IMO dougie is class were lucky to have him.....

I'd agree he is a little bit injury prone, but all our strikers at the club seem to be at the moment.

I'd have to disagree with stating that Freedman's scoring record over his career of 0.32 (not 0.30) is not that good. That works out at around 14 goals for a full season, which aint bad. It's certainly more than twice as good as Revell's 0.14 that the original poster rates as better.

how many of dougies apperances have been as a sub,especially at palace?

He's not as spritely as he perhaps was a few years back so if he were to chase down lost causes like a revell he'd be knackered after half an hour.

His flicks, through balls etc are creative things that get us goals. Also I don't think he shouts at the other players, he's just using his experience to help guide them on the pitch. If he didn't shout they wouldn't hear.

Don't get me wrong you couldn't play with 2 dougies up front - you also need one player who has either pace or height / strength to be a target man - as Robbo did today chasing balls over the top.

Dooogie is class....I for one would love to see him at the Hall next year and stay fit for the campaign.

If he could stay injury free for most of next season, I honestly believe he is a big diiference between us finishing Mid Table and flirting in/around the play offs.

His attitude and experience is amazing. That recent O'Keefe interview summed it up for me when O'Keefe said that DF was always offering advice and one on one sessions on finishing etc after training is finished.

Dooogie in my opinion is class and worth every penny of his contract!

Freedman out! :nope: This conformist recognises the importance of intelligence in a side, especially when there are younger legs to do Dougie's running... this guy is our Teddy Sheringham; learn to love him- you know it makes sense!! :)

that comment is the one that gets me, a clear negative effect? Like against Bristol Rovers when he was pointing to Robinson where he wanted to play through balls to him? True Robinson didn't score from those chances but there were two or three times that Freedman played Robinson in after Freedman had spoken to him telling him where it's best for Robinson to run to.

I think you're slightly misinterpreting what Dougie is doing on the pitch.

that comment is the one that gets me, a clear negative effect? Like against Bristol Rovers when he was pointing to Robinson where he wanted to play through balls to him? True Robinson didn't score from those chances but there were two or three times that Freedman played Robinson in after Freedman had spoken to him telling him where it's best for Robinson to run to.

I think you're slightly misinterpreting what Dougie is doing on the pitch.

''I think you're slightly misinterpreting what Dougie is doing on the pitch.'' [/quote]

I think you're being slightly too kind, Al! :O

like father, like 'son'?..just a wind up merchant...ignore him, he'll go away or get banned...

I'm sorry but I know the majority is right. I have come to expect unwarranted critisism from fans here. Without him we would be in the relegation battle and its as simple as that.

Tilsons subs were completly justified today, if Dougie had gone off then we probably wouldn't have got the 3 points.

He was one of the only creative players on the pitch today, he threaded countless passes through, like the one to set Theo/Macca up.

He may come across lazy at times, but he is always the outlet for anyone trying to get the ball forward, and alot of the time he will do something creative with the ball instead of hoof it like many do in our side.

Back