• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last weekend, a few of us went over to Lille for a night out and to catch a game.

I wasn't too sure what to expect really; Lille and their opponents were both mid-table teams and the only household name in either squad was Pat Kluivert who was a sub for Lille. A bit like watching the equivalent of Middlebrough versus Aston Villa we said before the game.

We got to the ground early for a good look around.

Their stadium is a temporary home while they engage in a huge battle with local and national government for planning permission for a new stadium. So at the moment they play at the Stade Metropole in the suburbs of the town.

The stadium, I guess holds about 18-20K. The stands at either side of the pitch are roofed, but either end behind the goal is open to the elements.

From about 30 minutes before kick off the noise starts. And it doesn't stop. The noise is electric. Bearing in mind this is a mid-table clash against a team a good two hundred miles away, I thought this was very impressive.

The fans take huge flags and banners along with them and the flag waving is continuous up until kick-off. There's a very enthusiatic lady on the tannoy who whoops everyone up with her excitement and comments that lead to interaction with the audience.

Once the game kicks off the volume rockets. The noise is started behind the goals and quickly spreads around the stands. There are plenty of chants between each stand and also plenty where they sing in unison. Interestingly most of the noise comes from the open ends; no complaints here of bad acoustics.

Also of interest was the way the game was played and how the fans reacted to it.

French footballers (and they were mostly French, the odd African, Belgian or Dutch) play football on the deck. The goalies rarely kick the ball out. Instead it is rolled to a defender who plays it along the deck to a team mate - repeat until a shooting opportunity arises. At times it resembled a training match with every player limited to two touches, which was generally one touch more than required. And the fans loved it. If a player misplaced a pass, they said nothing. No criticism, no barracking, no groaning, nothing.

But if the player dwelt on the ball or simply played it aimlessly, the crowd went mental. Passez! Passez! Or something like that. The players are encouraged to play football at all costs. Winning is obviously important, but playing football is more important. And no diving. If players were fouled, they just got up, safe in the knowledge they'd get a free kick, but in most cases there was an advantage as the fouled player had already managed to off-load the ball to a team mate.

And we wonder why Arsene Wenger does all his shopping in France.

The French really do have a lot to teach us about our own game. The players, the coaches, and the fans are all vastly superior to ours. And until that changes, we will never be anywhere close to them internationally. Club wise we can buy all their players and win the Champions League, but when it comes to our own, we are light years behind.

Hence the FA finally setting up their own version of Clairefontaine at Burton... Albeit almost a decade overdue.

French football also benefits from a relatively loose work permit law as well, whereas over here players achieve a work permit by playing a set % of their home nations internationals and being in the top bracket of earners (Yet, we'll happily dish out homes for free to work-shy b*stards) foreign footballers are pretty much given a right of passage.

In terms of nurturing youth talent we are behind, but in terms of fan culture we were our own worst enemy... Hillsborough saw an end to terracing, and the hooliganism of the 80's, coupled with events like Heysel, saw a massive clampdown on anything and everything that could create an atmosphere.

If only the french 2nd division was the same as the 1st,we have 2 flags and a old bloke singing.
Its still fun though.

The only food on offer was a choice baguette and a mountain of French fries.

We didn't try them but I'd say about 50% of the fans there did.

So you are saying this figure is just a 'guesstimate' then? A 'ball park figure'?

As far as I am concerned there is far too much idle speculation on Shrimperzone at the moment. The last thing we need is more rumours regarding the snack selection preferences of fans in the French first division. Next thing you know Ron Martin will be on the blower holding you to account for this unsubstantiated tittle-tattle. Mods are you on to this?

So you are saying this figure is just a 'guesstimate' then? A 'ball park figure'?

As far as I am concerned there is far too much idle speculation on Shrimperzone at the moment. The last thing we need is more rumours regarding the snack selection preferences of fans in the French first division. Next thing you know Ron Martin will be on the blower holding you to account for this unsubstantiated tittle-tattle. Mods are you on to this?

You bet we are. We're taking a hardline stance on this now.

Tough on idle speculation, tough on the causes of idle speculation.

I'm sorry, I made a typo.

I conducted a full survey and out of 12360 attendees, 6181 "baguette et frites" were sold.

That is exactly cinquante per cent, because Fat Claude had two.

PS I love it when you talk of Mod's on a clampdown. I see vision of long green caoted men on Vespas storming towards me to confiscate my keyboard.

In terms of nurturing youth talent we are behind, but in terms of fan culture we were our own worst enemy... Hillsborough saw an end to terracing, and the hooliganism of the 80's, coupled with events like Heysel, saw a massive clampdown on anything and everything that could create an atmosphere.

Well said, at numerous away games last season any chance of an atmosphere were killed by the over policing/stewarding of fans.

To me its gonna far enough and the clubs/police/government whoever can back off a bit and realize that maybe just maybe the "bad old days" are never going to return.

Last edited:
Good post might have to go to a French Football match I've heard the prices are quite cheap there as well.
We do have a lot to learn from the French when it comes to Football.You only have to look at the players they have produced in the last 20 years compared to England to see we are a long way behind them.

Good post might have to go to a French Football match I've heard the prices are quite cheap there as well.
We do have a lot to learn from the French when it comes to Football.You only have to look at the players they have produced in the last 20 years compared to England to see we are a long way behind them.

In terms of prices, I think we paid 28 Euros for seats bang on the halway line and under the roof.

But the seats behind the goal where everyone got a good pre-match soaking were only 5 and a half Euros. No wonder they were happy.

No programme, but you did get a free mini-newspaper.

I say, don't think about going, just go.

If you go to Lille, which is so easy on the EuroStar or EuroTunnel, let me know and I'll give you the benefit of the cheap hotel and top nightclub we found.

In terms of prices, I think we paid 28 Euros for seats bang on the halfway line and under the roof.

But the seats behind the goal where everyone got a good pre-match soaking were only 5 and a half Euros. No wonder they were happy.

If you go to Lille, which is so easy on the EuroStar or EuroTunnel, let me know and I'll give you the benefit of the cheap hotel and top nightclub we found.

its not just french football but the rest of the footballing world tht are light years ahead, i should know i have been researching it for the last 4 weeks. (uni project).
there are so many things that need to be changed and yet again as we always do in this country is throw money at it and think thats the answer. in truth all we are gonna have is far more expensive training areas for people to trash...
the fa need to look at countries like france and africa, coz they certainty dont have 200m to spend in the next 4 years, and yet they are producing better players than we are. what needs to change is our culture and mentality towards playing football when we are kids. it should be about fun and not always about winning...

this was an intresting read by the way, and is the exact reason i want to travel around the world to watch and experience a world of football that is so passionate and techniqually supierior to our game.

In terms of prices, I think we paid 28 Euros for seats bang on the halfway line and under the roof.

Stevie is right ,its easy to try a french game you have lille and lens within easy reach of the ferry ports or boulogne who are in the 2nd div.
And the good thing is you could go for the same price as a game in england and then stock up on fags and booze.
If any one fancys a game at chateauroux berrichone let me know.

We went to Monaco vs Metz a couple of years ago & like you had tickets on the halfway line high up, with a good view & IIRC didn't pay much either side of €20 for our tickets.

You were allowed to drink in the stands, which was a surprise ............. until you tasted the non alcoholic lager on offer. Nasty!

We slated the Monaco left back that day who we compared less than favourably to the great Cheese. Wonder what ever happened to Patrice Evra? Monaco were on the slide at the time in the season after the Champions League final appearance & lost Deschamps as their manager a couple of weeks before we went. Their only other notable player at the time was Adebayor, but he was injured the day we saw them.

Cheap SleazyJet to Nice, a nice place to watch footy & the ground though only 20k is very impressive.

Back