• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

French start fining muslim women for wearing burkinis

Can you not answer the question without resorting to sarcasm?

Ok Victor Mature. My serious answer is that I think it's a myth and that everything gets reported that grabs people's attention. In this case, due to a combination of fear and complacency there aren't too many "not in my name" style rallies to report on unfortunately.

Ok Victor Mature. My serious answer is that I think it's a myth and that everything gets reported that grabs people's attention. In this case, due to a combination of fear and complacency there aren't too many "not in my name" style rallies to report on unfortunately.

Maybe they don't bother as no one pays any attention?

Funnily enough, our younger daughter's boyfriend (who's Jewish) did cut off his rather long beard when visiting Southend and other places in the UK this summer,after spending a gap year travelling around various Muslim (and other countries) including Iran.Apparently, he didn't want to be mistaken for a terrorist :smile:

He probably wouldn't want to be identified as Jewish in Iran either.

The laws of the world are arse depending in what you believe in
Go to Dubai no kissing, holding hands, drinking etc we accept them whether we believe it or not, when I go on holiday I respect churches that want women to cover up shoulders or men not to wear shorts, again I'm not religious but will bide by their laws
So I find it uncomfortable when a country which has had its share of terrorist battles, bring in a law and people are up in arms, because it breaches human rights.
I am old enough to to accept not all Muslims are bombers, similar not everyone White person is a racist, however I am old enough to respect others laws which I may not agree but on the other hand I expect the same curtesy when people visit countries alien to them and the laws differ

Now that is a much better way of expressing some of my points. Thank you.

That's a pretty amazing and irrelevant story from Barna about his younger daughter's boyfriend's dog's friend's partner's second cousin.

He seemed fine with their beard in Iran but the associations with having a beard were too much in Southend? Makes you wonder which bearded figure has such a poor reputation in Southend that he felt he had to disassociate himself from them by shaving off the beard.

When in Rome n all that. France and it's authorities obviously view this from a number of different angles and as such we must also if we are to come to a sensible and reasoned opinion on the matter. Personally I see nothing wrong with it whatsoever and here's why.

Consider these arguments. Is the Niqab seen by Western culture as a sign of a woman's oppression and male dominance? Yes, undoubtedly so. Does it make 'some' westerners feel uncomfortable to be around? Yes, again undoubtedly so. (I would also hazard a guess even more so in France than anywhere else given what's happened these past few months) Is it or can it be considered a security risk? Yes it can. Regardless of the persons own beliefs and religious doctrines should the laws of a country be abided to by ALL? Absolutely, yes.

Yes, everyone has the right to dress exactly as they wish according to either their own personal preference or on religious grounds but they forfeit that right when entering another country where that countries laws directly contradict that right.

Would you all be up in arms if you or you're friend was asked to remove his crash helmet or hoodie when entering a shop on security grounds? No, course you wouldn't. You accept it as part and parcel of life in the world we live in. The fact this has a religious context is neither here nor there.

Who mentioned a burkini? I didn't. Please re read what I said. I specifically said Niqab.

What was the "this" referring to in "France and it's authorities obviously view this"?

Are you saying that your post was irrelevant to a thread entitled "French start fining muslim women for wearing burkinis"?

That's a pretty amazing and irrelevant story from Barna about his younger daughter's boyfriend's dog's friend's partner's second cousin.

He seemed fine with their beard in Iran but the associations with having a beard were too much in Southend? Makes you wonder which bearded figure has such a poor reputation in Southend that he felt he had to disassociate himself from them by shaving off the beard.

If memory serves, Westcliff is, or certainly was, the biggest Jewish community outside of London so exactly why he was concerned about his beard seems strange. Unless, of course, it was a story consisting of complete bollocks.

Yes, that must be it.

If memory serves, Westcliff is, or certainly was, the biggest Jewish community outside of London so exactly why he was concerned about his beard seems strange. Unless, of course, it was a story consisting of complete bollocks.

Yes, that must be it.
Yes I was told the same about Westcliff - always amazes me how many stunning turn of the century houses there are all around Hamlet Court Rd. Sadly most now bedsits. Like Southend, Westcliff has some lovely parts, albeit small and sandwiched inbetween the sprawling cesspit. Everyone gravitated towards Leigh, as we did ourselves but Westcliff and Southend has far more potential - must have been an amazing place in the Victorian era. I believe many of the wealthy Jewish folk moved away during WWII, as it was prime bombing target for ze Germans.

I digress...

What was the "this" referring to in "France and it's authorities obviously view this"?

Are you saying that your post was irrelevant to a thread entitled "French start fining muslim women for wearing burkinis"?

The French law refers to both the Burkini and the Niqab being worn. The 'this' in my post refers to the law at stands now. And just to clarify. Known Muslim extremists have been arrested wearing the female head to toe black garb, including the Niqab, so yes, it can be regarded as a security's concern.

IMO the Burkini seems a completely daft item of clothing (much like all other religiously-affiliated garms). That being said, if people choose to wear it, then that's their choice, and it's a choice they should be fully entitled to. Can't help but feel that The French have dropped a clanger here

IMO the Burkini seems a completely daft item of clothing (much like all other religiously-affiliated garms). That being said, if people choose to wear it, then that's their choice, and it's a choice they should be fully entitled to. Can't help but feel that The French have dropped a clanger here

Get you being all liberal.

The French law refers to both the Burkini and the Niqab being worn. The 'this' in my post refers to the law at stands now. And just to clarify. Known Muslim extremists have been arrested wearing the female head to toe black garb, including the Niqab, so yes, it can be regarded as a security's concern.

:facepalm: Known Muslim extemists have been arrested wearing trousers. Are trousers now a security concern?

Well said.

You know you are the last person I expected to be agreeing with on this thread but it turns out you're the one I agree with most.

Get you being all liberal.

Well said.

You know you are the last person I expected to be agreeing with on this thread but it turns out you're the one I agree with most.

I feel physically sick :smile:

But in fairness, political stances aside, it's surely just common sense, no? Banning people from wearing clothes is ridiculous. It's clearly a retaliatory measure, for the attacks France has suffered recently. And actually, that'd be cool with me, aswell as most people, if their retaliation was aimed at the correct targets. All this has done is punish innocent people.

That being said, I still can't grasp why anyone living in this day & age, still feels the need to conform to an ideology that was relevant thousands of years ago. The world has evolved, civilisation has evolved & societies have evolved. The only thing that hasn't evolved, are these daft books, which supposedly sane people, dedicate their life to. I saw a thing the other day, saying NASA had discovered a planet, which could support human life. And these are the first two things that occurred to me; 1) If there is/was life there currently, in some similar form to our own, I wonder, would they have religion? And 2) imagine living on a planet, where religion didn't exist, and common sense prevailed.

Anyway, that's my two bobs worth. Must go, these hands won't wring themselves :whistling:

I feel physically sick :smile:

But in fairness, political stances aside, it's surely just common sense, no? Banning people from wearing clothes is ridiculous. It's clearly a retaliatory measure, for the attacks France has suffered recently. And actually, that'd be cool with me, aswell as most people, if their retaliation was aimed at the correct targets. All this has done is punish innocent people.

That being said, I still can't grasp why anyone living in this day & age, still feels the need to conform to an ideology that was relevant thousands of years ago. The world has evolved, civilisation has evolved & societies have evolved. The only thing that hasn't evolved, are these daft books, which supposedly sane people, dedicate their life to. I saw a thing the other day, saying NASA had discovered a planet, which could support human life. And these are the first two things that occurred to me; 1) If there is/was life there currently, in some similar form to our own, I wonder, would they have religion? And 2) imagine living on a planet, where religion didn't exist, and common sense prevailed.

Anyway, that's my two bobs worth. Must go, these hands won't wring themselves :whistling:

It's not me and MK you need to convince on the common sense point!

Also I don't think it has just punished innocent people. It will also help alienate and radicalise young muslim kids when they see their country that they have lived in all their life reject them. And what can they turn to as an alternative ideology that will accept them?

ISIS recruiters must be rubbing their hands with glee.

It's not me and MK you need to convince on the common sense point!

Also I don't think it has just punished innocent people. It will also help alienate and radicalise young muslim kids when they see their country that they have lived in all their life reject them. And what can they turn to as an alternative ideology that will accept them?

ISIS recruiters must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Indeed, now they have photos to support their 'the west hates Muslims' hate-speech...

PAY-burkini.jpg

Back