• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

French start fining muslim women for wearing burkinis

I'd get it if it is the full face one, Niqab is it? as that is no different from walking around in a balaclava or mask really and could pose a security threat. But this seems extreme and rather wrong

I'll be honest I respect the rights of the French to decide what it right or wrong for their country over the religious beliefs of ANY religion. Does that tar too many people with the same brush? Yep. Is it anti human rights? Nope. Try arguing human rights to the dead and relatives of terrorist attacks. Those comments will surely inflame a few liberals in these rooms. Liberalism invented multiculturalism. If multiculturalism means parts of the U.K. are no go areas then in my eyes liberalism doesn't work.

Bizarre argument ORM.

Allowing someone to wear clothing isnt being "Multicultural liberal". If she wore a black tracksuit what would be the difference. What you are saying is people arent allowed to wear clothing a muslim might wear. Absurd.

Nothing to do with people being liberal, its basic common sense, and common sense says her outfit didnt pose a threat. If it was covering her face then that would have some merit, but she wasnt.

Lets hope none of the 9/11 bombers were wearing jeans or we will have to ban jeans as we dont want to argue human rights with the dead and relatives of terrorist attacks do we.

Bizarre argument ORM.

Allowing someone to wear clothing isnt being "Multicultural liberal". If she wore a black tracksuit what would be the difference. What you are saying is people arent allowed to wear clothing a muslim might wear. Absurd.

Nothing to do with people being liberal, its basic common sense, and common sense says her outfit didnt pose a threat. If it was covering her face then that would have some merit, but she wasnt.

Lets hope none of the 9/11 bombers were wearing jeans or we will have to ban jeans as we dont want to argue human rights with the dead and relatives of terrorist attacks do we.

The French have made a stand since 2009 that they believe the the burka and it's associated garments to be a "debasement" to women. It's not about it being a threat, just that they don't want it in France. I live in the Middle East and spend time every week in Saudi. Clothing has to be appropriate here and the law of the land respected - the locals aren't up in arms about France here as they see it as that country's right to assert it's own law and culture....

This ban is not for security reason that's the Guardians spin on the story. Certain towns in the French Riviera trade on their sunbathing culture, so if they want certain rules and want to celebrate women's sexuality rather than oppression then good luck to them.

You wouldn't go to a naturist beach and demand to wear clothes, so this is no different.

The French have made a stand since 2009 that they believe the the burka and it's associated garments to be a "debasement" to women. It's not about it being a threat, just that they don't want it in France. I live in the Middle East and spend time every week in Saudi. Clothing has to be appropriate here and the law of the land respected - the locals aren't up in arms about France here as they see it as that country's right to assert it's own law and culture....

LOL at the idea (not yours) that the way to defeat 'religious misogyny' is by having a man with a machine gun demand women to take their clothes off.

LOL at the idea (not yours) that the way to defeat 'religious misogyny' is by having a man with a machine gun demand women to take their clothes off.

They were asking her to leave the beach not demanding she stripped.

She had a simple choice remove the head wear or leave the beach, as has been reported by other media.

Why do you have such a problem with those rules ?

I'll be honest I respect the rights of the French to decide what it right or wrong for their country over the religious beliefs of ANY religion. Does that tar too many people with the same brush? Yep. Is it anti human rights? Nope. Try arguing human rights to the dead and relatives of terrorist attacks. Those comments will surely inflame a few liberals in these rooms. Liberalism invented multiculturalism. If multiculturalism means parts of the U.K. are no go areas then in my eyes liberalism doesn't work.
I love how some people will openly take a subject and run so far with it that you can no longer see the start point anymore.

Whatever you think of religions dictating what women can or can't wear, how does a state claiming to be anti the oppression of women justify dictating that women are not allowed on a public beach unless they are flashing some flesh.

IMO the two aren’t directly comparable. Thereis a culture in places like Saudi and UAE that certain areas of the body shouldstay covered and that has been the case for a long time, anybody who has chosento live or work there is aware of this. In France there has never been a “dresscode”, Muslims have settled there for generations and now the rules havechanged. Being covered up isn’t the taboo here, it is the specific clothingthat is specific to the religion. It just seems rather petty to me and onlyreally serves to increase tensions.

Try going to a French swimming pool in shorts and you will receive similar treatment.

Budgie smugglers or GTFO.

I have no sympathy for this woman.

Liberalism invented multiculturalism. If multiculturalism means parts of the U.K. are no go areas then in my eyes liberalism doesn't work.

That's one bizarre leap! If it's a no go area, it's because it's nowhere near to being multicultural. Multiculturalism would actually be the cure to the ill you're blaming it for!

Back