• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Southend quiz for Friday:

1. Since January 14, 1956,which player played a stunning consecutive 219 games?
2. Which player scored only 2 goals (out of 8 appearances) in 1984/5 season, and both of them in the same game to secure a 2-1 win v Stockport?
3. Who was the only ever-present player in the 1989/90 promotion season?
4. Brett Angell scored in seven consecutive games in 91/2 - which other player scored in two consecutive games in the same streak?
5. How many players did Alvin use in 1997/98 season in total?
6. How much in total did Fry spend at the start of 93/4?
7. Who scored a goal on his debut, played three games, was not signed, and went on to be a leading light in a different country?
8. Who was player of the year in 96/7?
9. Who scored the equaliser for Southend at Blackpool, ensuring Webb didn't get off to a losing start in 2000/1?
10. Who was the last player to score a hat-trick against the Scum?

Some easy ones, some not so easy. No cheating!

2. Which player scored only 2 goals (out of 8 appearances) in 1984/5 season, and both of them in the same game to secure a 2-1 win v Stockport?
4. Brett Angell scored in seven consecutive games in 91/2 - which other player scored in two consecutive games in the same streak?
7. Who scored a goal on his debut, played three games, was not signed, and went on to be a leading light in a different country?
9. Who scored the equaliser for Southend at Blackpool, ensuring Webb didn't get off to a losing start in 2000/1?

I'll do the "oldies" one and leave the rest. Arthur Williamson and wasn't it 229 games ?

I'll do the "oldies" one and leave the rest. Arthur Williamson and wasn't it 229 games ?

I did check and double-check; but you are right with Williamson - an amazing feat for an outfield player. What was he like as a player? I know Sandy Anderson was his replacement.

1. Arthur Williamson
2. Micky Engwell
3. Paul Sansome
4. Ian Benjamin
5. 35
6. £600,000
7. Peter Belsvik
8. Not got a clue Andy Rammell?
9. No Idea Martin Currathers
10. No Idea must have been years ago Billy Best?

Tough Quiz Prob only got 5 correct? Looking at my answers again maybe only 3 or 4 correct!

1. Arthur Williamson
2. Micky Engwell
3. Paul Sansome
4. Ian Benjamin
5. 35
6. £600,000
7. Peter Belsvik
8. Not got a clue Andy Rammell?
9. No Idea Martin Currathers
10. No Idea must have been years ago Billy Best?

Tough Quiz Prob only got 5 correct? Looking at my answers again maybe only 3 or 4 correct!

4 right....not bad.

Barry Fry's signings:

Gary Poole £350,000
Jason Lee £150,000
Tommy Mooney £100,000
Ricky Otto £100,000
Graham Bressington £50,000
Gary Jones £25,000
Mickey Bodley, Jonathan Hunt, David Howell - did a Barrett/McCormack from Barnet

So I reckon that's £775,000 but the tax-manyou may have a different figure.

Don't know 2 and 10, but I think I know most of the rest.

I believe number 8 was either Robert Mugabe or Vladimir Putin.

Just checked the answer to Question 4 and the correct player actually scored in 3 consecutive games & not 2. Not that it would have made any difference to my answer.

Barry Fry's signings:

Gary Poole £350,000
Jason Lee £150,000
Tommy Mooney £100,000
Ricky Otto £100,000
Graham Bressington £50,000
Gary Jones £25,000
Mickey Bodley, Jonathan Hunt, David Howell - did a Barrett/McCormack from Barnet

So I reckon that's £775,000 but the tax-manyou may have a different figure.

Don't know 2 and 10, but I think I know most of the rest.

I believe number 8 was either Robert Mugabe or Vladimir Putin.

Poole was £400,000, so £50k out. Number 8 is still amazing.

I think it was about 30 players but there were some real shockers: Southall, N'Diaye, Parris, Dublin, Beard ... the list is endless.

No. 9 is definitely Trevor Fitzpatrick.

No.8 I want to say Mike Marsh

Edit: The problem with replying at work is the time elapse between pressing reply and submiting the reply is long enough for all the question to be answered.

Was it 34 players we used in 97/98?

However many (and it was a lot), it was a club record.

Shall we see if we can name them?

Number 10 was Bobby Gilfillan. A memorable match.

Think Crown got an "aggregate" hat-trick over two legs of a League Cup game, but I guess that doesn't count.

Back