• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FRIGHTENING

Interesting how Chesterfield's owner Paul Allen's comments echo those of SUFC's Chairman.

"As of 30 June the club owed £9.2m to Allen, even after he wrote off £2m in loans. He has put the club up for sale several times since his attempts to lift them to the Championship failed. “The one thing I have done, I’ve supported the club because I’ve kept putting money in every month to pay the wages, which nobody in Chesterfield’s willing to do,” he has said."

Shame for them as they have a real good ground. Real decent bar in the main stand, large screen and sliding doors for easy access to good seats. Everyone stayed after as they were a friendly bunch and the MOM was presented etc.

They wont be the only ones who end up in this situation.

Shame for them as they have a real good ground. Real decent bar in the main stand, large screen and sliding doors for easy access to good seats. Everyone stayed after as they were a friendly bunch and the MOM was presented etc.

They wont be the only ones who end up in this situation.

Yes, I liked the ground as well. Good pubs and great fish & chips only a few minutes walk away. I have to ask the question whether, these days, a club with a ground capacity of about 10,000 can realistically aspire to Championship football?..........unless, of course, it can easily be enlarged.

According to legend, apparently the crooked spire on that church will straighten up the day a virgin is married there, but that has now been updated to the day the football club get a new, financially viable chairman.

Yes, I liked the ground as well. Good pubs and great fish & chips only a few minutes walk away. I have to ask the question whether, these days, a club with a ground capacity of about 10,000 can realistically aspire to Championship football?..........unless, of course, it can easily be enlarged.

They can't but you have tell fans that otherwise they sulk. loads of lower league clubs, like Mansfield have a 5 year plan to get into the Championship and end up overspending. You only have to look at the bottom of the table to know those clubs could never survive in the modern overpaid Championship

Bournemouth managed!

The most obvious recent example is Burton Albion who have an excellent set-up.

However, it was short lived and their crowds are very poor (less than 2,000 against us the other night).

It's not impossible to reach that level on a smaller structure. Shrewsbury nearly achieved this the other season, as well, but to maintain these days at that level for any period of time is extremely difficult I think.

Every season, at every level the leagues seem to get harder and more expensive in chasing "dream" promotions, which once only meant Prem but know is, in reality, the Chumps and a cup run at the Coca cola cup.
And there is no role for a loose set up, Chesterfield are proof of that and a warning to many.

This is why, under Brown, we had a good set-up developing. A solid base in League One. Good crowds and a set-up through the youth ranks that was stable and producing some talented youngsters. A steady ship, following the difficult years under Sturrock.

But it wasn't enough. The Championship was the next goal and the sooner the better. We haven't reached the Icarus levels of Chesterfield, but it's a warning shot to others, as @Massimo Giovanni says above.

Be thankful for what you've got when it's going OK and just enjoy the ride, because it's a big cliff if you go too quickly and lose control.

This is why, under Brown, we had a good set-up developing. A solid base in League One. Good crowds and a set-up through the youth ranks that was stable and producing some talented youngsters. A steady ship, following the difficult years under Sturrock.

But it wasn't enough. The Championship was the next goal and the sooner the better. We haven't reached the Icarus levels of Chesterfield, but it's a warning shot to others, as @Massimo Giovanni says above.

Be thankful for what you've got when it's going OK and just enjoy the ride, because it's a big cliff if you go too quickly and lose control.
I never got the desperation to reach the championship so quickly under PB as we wouldn’t have survived up there. I like lower league football personally, have no interest in the Premier League with VAR and the rest. As I’ve said previously I think a lot of our fanbase started watching when we were at that level (second tier) and believe that to be our natural home.

Back