• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From tonights Echo

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Freddy and Gower are unlikely to be fit for Saturday.

Neither have trained this week at all and out of the two Gower is more likely to make it.

Freddys back is still in spasm and is affecting his mobility.

Tilly is also unusually critical of the fans, by saying

"People just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We had to take Freddy off because he was injured and some people just don't know what they are talking about. If anything we should have taken him off earlier because of his back but playing on has made it even worse. He is struggling though and I'm not sure he'll be able to play."

Foran and Harrold will play if neither make it.

So, could Freddy's "tantrum" have actually been his frustration at his back laying up? Just a thought... and FWIW, I agree with Tilly. Some people assume far too much, think they "know" more than they do and read into things that aren't there.

Indeed rather than people coming on and instantly blaming everyone for everything they should count to ten and ask why certain decisions are made...

To be honest other than the disappointment of not seeing Freddy play for Southend again Im not that fussed who plays for the next couple of games.

true but if he did storm down the tunnel and not acknowledge the fans then it's not going to help is it.. people will think the worst

I dont remember seeing this reported anywhere but a guy I used to work with now works at Southend Hospital and a few days after the preston game he took Fred into theatre. I forgot to ask what they were operating on but like I said I dont remember the Echo or the OS reporting it.

Seems strange that nothing was said about this, maybe it was to keep potential buyers happy with Freds fitness or just to keep us fans positive. Either way his condition must have been worse than we thought for him to have an op on it.

true but if he did storm down the tunnel and not acknowledge the fans then it's not going to help is it.. people will think the worst

But we only have second hand reports of said storming, so it is hard to judge exactly what happened, and I can tell you if your back is giving you agony, you simply aren't in any condition (or frame of mind) to wander out onto the pitch to clap the fans.

No thats right, whilst I understand his frustration he should of course have acted better.

My point was though that people not at the game were slating Tilson for taking him off without any knowledge of why...

We understood that he went to hospital early on the morning of the Barnsley game and had a painkilling injection . This is indeed news, RbsShrimp

Last edited:
Tilly is also unusually critical of the fans, by saying

"People just don't know what is going on behind the scenes. We had to take Freddy off because he was injured and some people just don't know what they are talking about. If anything we should have taken him off earlier because of his back but playing on has made it even worse. He is struggling though and I'm not sure he'll be able to play."

Foran and Harrold will play if neither make it.

So, could Freddy's "tantrum" have actually been his frustration at his back laying up? Just a thought... and FWIW, I agree with Tilly. Some people assume far too much, think they "know" more than they do and read into things that aren't there.

Perhaps a bit more communication with "the fans" would stop some of this speculation.

Simple answers to simple questions will do. For instance, if Freddy and Gower are injured (at best doubtful) the prospect of two of three from Foran/Bradders/Harrold up front isn't going to strike fear amongst the opposition or much optimism from the fans. Why is there still no possibility of pulling Paynter back from loan, if only to fill a bench spot ?

Tilly is indeed a legend but some of you need to pull him down from the pedestal you've placed him on.

Perhaps a bit more communication with "the fans" would stop some of this speculation.

Simple answers to simple questions will do. For instance, if Freddy and Gower are injured (at best doubtful) the prospect of two of three from Foran/Bradders/Harrold up front isn't going to strike fear amongst the opposition or much optimism from the fans. Why is there still no possibility of pulling Paynter back from loan, if only to fill a bench spot ?

Tilly is indeed a legend but some of you need to pull him down from the pedestal you've placed him on.

But he shares the same pedestal that you put Maher on...

;)

Tilly is indeed a legend but some of you need to pull him down from the pedestal you've placed him on.[/quote]

Totally agree.......thank you ORM :D

From personal experience, if Eastwoods back is that bad, I'm surprised he's even on the pitch. He alone would know what he feels capable of in that situation, so if he's well enough to be playing, he's well enough to acknowledge the crowd. Simple as that.

I get frustrated at games, but credit where credits due, if someone comes off, they get acknowledgement for their efforts. The fans that pay the players wages should have a degree of recognition too and that's from all club staff.

Tilson is going to make mistakes at whichever club or level he's managing at. Perhaps one of those mistakes was the way he handled the the Eastwood situation. Perhaps Eastwoods still got some growing up to do.

Tilson has worked wonders for the club and he himself has done remarkably well in such a short period. Whilst I don't want to see him leave just yet, don't close your eyes to the fact that every manager / team has its own limitations.

At what point will Tilson reach his own limits? At what point will Ron recognise those limitations. At what point will Tilson think the club set up is holding him back.

Nothing is forever and change isn't always a bad thing.

Spot on.

I was going to post exactly the same that maybe a bit more communication from the club would stop all the 'speculation' and maybe Tilly will understand OUR frustrations a little more at spending out hundreds of pounds following the team.

At the end of the day, didnt think it was worth posting as I'd just get shot down as being a Tilly-Basher! :thump:

Excellent idea. Lets widely publicise the fact that Eastwood is really struggling with a potentially very serious back problem. We can give the opposition our team-sheet as well, and maybe a medical diagram showing where exactly opposition centre-halves have to target Freddy to cause maximum pain. A serious back complaint could also knock a million off his sale price.

Has it not occurred to you that the club might have good reasons for not disclosing this sort of information? As a fan I would like to know as much about my club as I can, but I wouldn't want to know stuff if its going to put the club at a disadvantage by making it public. The club made it known that Freddy was struggling with an injury, that's enough info for me.

From personal experience, if Eastwoods back is that bad, I'm surprised he's even on the pitch. He alone would know what he feels capable of in that situation, so if he's well enough to be playing, he's well enough to acknowledge the crowd. Simple as that.

Exactly. His back wasn't good enough to be playing, so he had to be subbed. Ergo, he wasn't well enough to acknowledge the crowd. Yes, its really as simple as that.

Excellent idea. Lets widely publicise the fact that Eastwood is really struggling with a potentially very serious back problem. We can give the opposition our team-sheet as well, and maybe a medical diagram showing where exactly opposition centre-halves have to target Freddy to cause maximum pain. A serious back complaint could also knock a million off his sale price.

Has it not occurred to you that the club might have good reasons for not disclosing this sort of information? As a fan I would like to know as much about my club as I can, but I wouldn't want to know stuff if its going to put the club at a disadvantage by making it public. The club made it known that Freddy was struggling with an injury, that's enough info for me.

Its a fair point your making YB , but lets not forget that any would be purchaser will request a copy of his full medical record ,to take into account with the medical examination

Paynter is scoring goals and happy at Bradford. I'm almost certain he wasn't happy here. What would he possibly add to the team?

If Foran/Bradbury/Harrold don't strike fear in to the opposition, might that be our biggest weapon?

Does Tilly have to clear up every single internal issue at the club to stop speculation?

Sometimes I really despise the media hungry football world. If it wasn't the case, McLaren for one could spend much more time coaching and much less time dodging difficult questions.

Sometimes I really despise the media hungry football world. If it wasn't the case, McLaren for one could spend much more time coaching and much less time dodging difficult questions.

What like how the hell did a journeyman coach with a reputation for being a yes man get such a high-profile job? :fury:

Also, if Fred isn't fit for the rest of the season should SUFC be billing him as taking part in the 20/20 game with Essex?

OS

Back