• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Front page updated...

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
canveyshrimper has written a piece about our promotion-sealing draw against Gillingham in 1972.

This is just the sort of thing that we'd love to have more of on the front page, so if your creative juices are flowing, get writing and PM me whatever you may have.

In the meantime, enjoy canveyshrimper's article

Superb post - brought back so many memories - was particularly grateful that we 'took their end' that day as I recall being soaking wet- something to look forward to on Boxing Day ?

What a great article. Great story and also kind of sad aswell in some ways.

Would love to see some more stories on the front page like that.

Great story Harry ....Long before my time of course..:angel:

And great work with the front page James.

Strange, my recollection is that promotion was clinched 4 days earlier at Scunthorpe thanks to a Billy Best goal and a 1-1 draw. One coach load of supporters and not a white coat in sight. We certainly enjoyed the occasion though. Coach driver got a speeding ticket on the way there and spent the rest of the trip driving at a snail's pace.

Strange, my recollection is that promotion was clinched 4 days earlier at Scunthorpe thanks to a Billy Best goal and a 1-1 draw. One coach load of supporters and not a white coat in sight. We certainly enjoyed the occasion though. Coach driver got a speeding ticket on the way there and spent the rest of the trip driving at a snail's pace.

Have checked and yes, promotion was assured at Scunny. Sophistry aside, it was a good read, canveyshrimper.

Have checked and yes, promotion was assured at Scunny. Sophistry aside, it was a good read, canveyshrimper.

Thanks Mick, I'll bow to you on the promotion issue, I could of sworn the Gillingham game was the clincher. Ho hum the vagaries of old age I guess.:D

Great article enjoyed reading it.

I was there that day half a dozen of us went up early drinking in a Pub near the ground, when in walked their boys. It got a bit aggressive and a couple of glasses were chucked in our direction, so we made a tactical retreat but 20 or so of their lads followed us outside and chased us down the road., At the first turn off about fifty or so of our clockwork orange boys saw what was going on and then chased the Gillingham boys back the way they had come. Quite comical really. Was it the Leigh com boys that came to our rescue?., If so thanks mate we needed your help.

Great day out we didn’t believe Promotion would ever happen, as have been said thank god we took their end or we would have got soaked. I believe Gillingham tried to make a chant just before time judging by the rucking that took place. It all sounds unreal now but these were violent times when the Police had little idea of what was going on or how to stop it, thank god it’s under control these days.

After the game we went on to Wembley to see England v West Germany (I think) we got their just before kick off, behind the goal, standing of course, on the very back terrace the pitch was minute from their. Minor game compared to the afternoon.

Thanks for the memories

canveyshrimper has written a piece about our promotion-sealing draw against Gillingham in 1972.

This is just the sort of thing that we'd love to have more of on the front page, so if your creative juices are flowing, get writing and PM me whatever you may have.

In the meantime, enjoy canveyshrimper's article

Uncanningly accurate with your assessment of Mr canveyshrimper's work there!

Now that he's cut his teeth in fiction :p , maybe he'd like to move onto non-fiction as I'd love to read more personal accounts of campaigns past.

There are some good histories of SUFC out there, but I'm just as interested in the folk lore side of things, how legends were created, the pivotal moments in the club history from the fans' perspective etc. I think such stories are integral to the identity of the club and help separates us from being a franchise like MK Franchise Scum Dons.

There are some good histories of SUFC out there, but I'm just as interested in the folk lore side of things, how legends were created, the pivotal moments in the club history from the fans' perspective etc. I think such stories are integral to the identity of the club and help separates us from being a franchise like MK Franchise Scum Dons.

Couldn't agree more Matt. The players, coaching staff change and the board all change - even the stadium will pretty soon, we hope - but us fans are a constant.

Stories like this are a real part of the fabric of the club and the more we can get on here the better. As I said at the top of the thread, keep 'em coming people :)

Great article enjoyed reading it.

I was there that day half a dozen of us went up early drinking in a Pub near the ground, when in walked their boys. It got a bit aggressive and a couple of glasses were chucked in our direction, so we made a tactical retreat but 20 or so of their lads followed us outside and chased us down the road., At the first turn off about fifty or so of our clockwork orange boys saw what was going on and then chased the Gillingham boys back the way they had come. Quite comical really. Was it the Leigh com boys that came to our rescue?., If so thanks mate we needed your help.

Great day out we didn’t believe Promotion would ever happen, as have been said thank god we took their end or we would have got soaked. I believe Gillingham tried to make a chant just before time judging by the rucking that took place. It all sounds unreal now but these were violent times when the Police had little idea of what was going on or how to stop it, thank god it’s under control these days.

After the game we went on to Wembley to see England v West Germany (I think) we got their just before kick off, behind the goal, standing of course, on the very back terrace the pitch was minute from their. Minor game compared to the afternoon.

Thanks for the memories

I think it probably was the Leigh Comm lot, there was a lot of chasing going on that day, mostly in an effort to stay dry.

great read -

i was talking about the Clockwork orange coats just the other day - was it just a southend thing or nationwide ?

- there was also the eye make up that went with it -

Back