• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FTTC Vs FTTP

Supershrimper

First XI⭐
As I understand it FTTC is the usual method of receiving internet into a house, usually with it coming in on the overhead lines and landing at the main master phone socket which then splits out for phone and internet (or a splitter is used) So its fibre all the way to the cabinet, and then uses the copper wires into the house.

FTTP is fibre to the cabinet and then fibre to your house (either via a fibre cable coming from the overhead lines or under the ground (depends on the best method to use)

First wanted the above clarified by someone if possible for my understanding and then a couple of the following items
  • If its installed by BT, TalkTalk, Sky, Plusnet it will be an OpenReach fibre into the house and thus if i wanted to switch to Virgin they would have to provide their own cable (as they have their own network)
  • If i switched to a FTTP provider, does the phone still come through the old copper wire or does it then come through VOIP and a new phone is then required?

I think your understanding of FTTP and FTTC is correct.

For the first question yes Virgin would have to install a cable if there isn't already one in your house (I think Virgin will know if there's one if you switch), some of their stuff may say "Telewest" on it because Virgin bought them out. I think there's an installation fee involved but you may be able to find a deal on a price comparison website that waives this (rather counterintuitively the best deals for internet are rarely on the provider's own website).

For the second question I don't have a landline so I'm not 100% but from what I can tell it would go through the same cable as your router, there are two slots on the back of our Virgin router that say "Phone", so presumably you just plug the phone line into that rather than a separate port.

Thanks for confirming.

So If we went with say PlusNet and they installed their fibre into the house and then switched to Virgin, Virgin would then have to install their own fibre into the house as they don't "piggy back" off the OpenReach network.

Yes, unless someone in the house has had Virgin/Telewest in the past (in which case the cables for that should still be usable) you'll need Virgin to install the fibre into the house.

Back