• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that this has happened. Who are these thugs who think that they can do this? I am also hoping that the perpetrators of this heinous crime are not in any way associated with my club Southend United. As far as I am concerned they cannot be called true fans. Fans are those morally conscious people who just want to go and enjoy watching their team play on a saturday afternoon and would never contemplate doing anything like this in the name of their club. :sad:

An amazing response and well done to all involved. Sadly I doubt any of this would be necessary had the CUFC fans not started on innocents in the Spread. I was standing with an 80 year old Cambridge fan who luckily left before the trouble started but "there by the grace of God" and all that. I know completely that two wrongs don't make a right but there was an unpleasant atmosphere all afternoon following the flare up in the Spread and I'm afraid retribution seemed in the air. All very very sad.

this is v bad, feel sorry for the guy but it was the Cambridge fans who started all the trouble. I cannot remember any other trouble at Roots Hall. Hope they sort out where to park the away coaches (not in front of spread etc)

this is v bad, feel sorry for the guy but it was the Cambridge fans who started all the trouble. I cannot remember any other trouble at Roots Hall. Hope they sort out where to park the away coaches (not in front of spread etc)

I really don't think that anything justifies the treatment that that poor bloke got, it was senseless violence.

I contributed to this, this afternoon. Feel quite sick from this whole episode and sooo hope the guy pulls through.

An amazing response and well done to all involved. Sadly I doubt any of this would be necessary had the CUFC fans not started on innocents in the Spread. I was standing with an 80 year old Cambridge fan who luckily left before the trouble started but "there by the grace of God" and all that. I know completely that two wrongs don't make a right but there was an unpleasant atmosphere all afternoon following the flare up in the Spread and I'm afraid retribution seemed in the air. All very very sad.

Was about to react negatively to your post, then stopped to think for a couple of seconds and realised that you are totally right - "there by the grace of God". Anyone who started on anyone else, in the Spread, the Railway, or anywhere in between are NOT fans of any club and certainly cannot be classified as football fans. I was with a work colleague and her family on Saturday, who just happen to be season ticket holders at Cambridge. They joined us in the Naval Club both before and after the game, and we had a great time. Rival banter, yes, but no animosity from anyone, which is how it should be. Having spoken to her this week, their level of shock and upset amongst genuine Cambridge fans at the events on Saturday is the same as mine and most of us Southend fans - horrified, disgusted and very disappointed that this sort of thing could happen at all, and even more appalled that this happens in the name of "support" for a particular team.

Who gives a **** who started it? And there's been plenty of trouble over the years but I don't remember anything like this. I've been to plenty of away games and stayed around afterwards for one reason or another. No football fan should expect to come away from a match like this.

I have donated.

Who gives a **** who started it? And there's been plenty of trouble over the years but I don't remember anything like this. I've been to plenty of away games and stayed around afterwards for one reason or another. No football fan should expect to come away from a match like this.

I have donated.

You're right it doesn't matter who started it but what's important is that it was started and then the knock on effect happened.

he didnt play, but was there with ricky duncan to represent the club and donate a signed shirt for the raffle they held.

he didnt play, but was there with ricky duncan to represent the club and donate a signed shirt for the raffle they held.

Fair enough, I thought he'd made a brief appearance on the pitch. Glad the club did get someone to represent them.

I know that at Cambridge they're planning a minutes applause in the 41st minute, think we could do something similar on Friday?

Fair enough, I thought he'd made a brief appearance on the pitch. Glad the club did get someone to represent them.

I get their local news up here. Saw John White interviewed at the game. Said all the right things but seemed a bit awkward. More lazy journalism from the local news crew though. eg..."Attacked at a football match" - errr. no he wasn't

I've seen so many inaccurate media reports on this so far. It can't be helpful to the poor guy's family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back