• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
10:13am Thursday 3rd September 2009

Comments (6) Have your say »

By Chris Phillips »

FURIOUS Southend United fans are planning to protest at tomorrow night’s local derby with Leyton Orient.

Hundreds of Shrimpers supporters have been expressing their anger to the Echo as well as on internet message boards after further details of the club’s poor financial situation were revealed.

Fans have been campaigning for the dismissal of chief executive Geoffrey King after his public criticism of popular striker Alex Revell, who was sent out on loan to Swindon Town.

Followers of the Blues are also concerned by the club’s small 16-man squad, the lack of permanent signings and their failure to pay former defender Spencer Prior for his benefit match in May.

And their feelings will be aired publicly at tomorrow’s game, according to one of the protest organisers Gareth Pummery.

“There are some things planned for the protest at the game,” confirmed 26-year-old Pummery, who has followed Southend for the past 16 years.

“All I will say is that if you feel angry and want to join in then please join us in block V of the West Stand.

“We are very unhappy with the way the club is being run.

“We are also unhappy with Geoffrey King. He does not serve the club well. He misleads fans into thinking everything is ok.

“He bad-mouthed our supporters after the game with Leicester last season and players who are putting in a lot of effort in like Alex Revell.

“Plus on top of that there’s Prior not being paid and a few other things too.”

Banners have been printed up as part of the protests and a group demanding King to resign on popular social networking website Facebook now has more than 200 members.

A poll on the club’s most popular fans website — www.shrimperzone.com — also suggested that 87 per cent of supporters wanted King to move on.

And a spokesman for the website backed up those findings.

“I can fully understand the protests,” he said.

“Mr King seems to be upsetting everyone and maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea if he was replaced.

“He does not give a good image for the football club and the fans are clearly upset because over the last few days we’ve had an unprecedented number of hits.

“We can understand the club having to make cut-backs at this time but to criticise Alex Revell in the way he did was wrong and it will be interesting to see what happens at the game tomorrow.”

Shareholders will have a chance to quiz King and the club’s management before then though at the club’s annual general meeting which takes place tonight.

Support the team during the game its nothing to do with them on what the management do.
I sit very close to row V and want nothing to do with the alleged protest.

If you want to protest leave it till after the game.

It sounds like this protest will be taking place quite close to the Blue Voice section. I hope TBV doesn't end up getting blamed again for the negativity that will inevitably be heard tomorrow night!

“All I will say is that if you feel angry and want to join in then please join us in block V of the West Stand.

Hold on mate, you are giving the impression that every seat in V block is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry. Well, i have a season ticket in V block by the aisle between W block, and if any scroat decides to plonk themselves down in my designated seat then they will be uncerimoniously thrown down the steps. And that will also apply to anyone who sits in front and stands up to make his point of protest heard. The time to protest, if you feel you must is after the game outside the main stand for a couple of minutes until the old bill move you on. Between kick off and the final whistle every fan should give 100% vocal encouragement to the team in an attempt to secure us our much needed first win of the season.

surely the best time to protest was this evening at the AGM thingy by raising valid questions and making points directly to the board of directors. isnt that what AGMs are for, or atleast part of them are. various bodies would of been represented, ie SZ, Shrimperstrust, and so on if people who had issue are not shareholders they could of raised them through those people.

surely the idea of going to a football match is that you are there to support your team. not sure any negativity from the crowd on friday is going to show much support for the team no matter how much people say thats not the intention.

stand outside the posh entrance to the ground where the directors and their guests go if people feel they have to protest on match day....i dont think during the game is going to show support for the team on the pitch in anyway shape or form.

surely the best time to protest was this evening at the AGM thingy by raising valid questions and making points directly to the board of directors. isnt that what AGMs are for, or atleast part of them are. various bodies would of been represented, ie SZ, Shrimperstrust, and so on if people who had issue are not shareholders they could of raised them through those people.

surely the idea of going to a football match is that you are there to support your team. not sure any negativity from the crowd on friday is going to show much support for the team no matter how much people say thats not the intention.

stand outside the posh entrance to the ground where the directors and their guests go if people feel they have to protest on match day....i dont think during the game is going to show support for the team on the pitch in anyway shape or form.

Good post. Simples.:clap:

meerkat.jpg

Hold on mate, you are giving the impression that every seat in V block is available to any Tom, Dick or Harry. Well, i have a season ticket in V block by the aisle between W block, and if any scroat decides to plonk themselves down in my designated seat then they will be uncerimoniously thrown down the steps. And that will also apply to anyone who sits in front and stands up to make his point of protest heard. The time to protest, if you feel you must is after the game outside the main stand for a couple of minutes until the old bill move you on. Between kick off and the final whistle every fan should give 100% vocal encouragement to the team in an attempt to secure us our much needed first win of the season.

why would you throw someone down stairs ?

.....and no fat blokes with tattoos running on the pitch either (unless you're a player who hasn't had much of a pre-season - no names)

Back