• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Furloughed players (or non-furloughed as it turns out)

I believe it is 7 and you could safely assume probably the highest 7 earners\senior players.
It should be all the squad or none. Terrible decision i feel to only do 7.
It makes good financial sense to furlough all the club but you are reliant on the goodwill of the players furloughed to voluntarily stay fit as they cannot be asked or expected to train for team duties while under furlough or they wouldn't qualify.
Contractors\ consultants
I am one of those with a limited company and it annoys me i can only furlough the paye element which is the NI threshold -11k pa approx. I'm now working only one day a week - from home, which seemed a responsible thing to accept, but now that disqualifies me from furloughing at all.
You do what you think is the right thing, and get penalised .... But to be fair health etc is more important anyway.

Im sure as long as you're not generating revenue, you can furlough yourself as a director.

Im sure as long as you're not generating revenue, you can furlough yourself as a director.
I'm doing one day a week working from home which as I understand it now disqualifies me - and I can't just stop as it's not fair to the client.
Just one of those things I suppose. In the big picture it's not important really. There's lots worse off.
Going back to the 7 players maybe to be furloughed. They would need to agree to it or i think they could leave on a free due to breach of contract if forced on them, that could result in financial issues with the pfa. I think it needs to be all or none. I've feeling sport pro 's don't have clauses in contracts covering this type of thing

Last edited:
Which is understandable and fair. But when considered alongside what the govt have done with reducing dividend tax relief to 2k and still pressing ahead with IR35 effective from April in the private sector, plus mentioning his intention to consider everyone as an employee in shape or form - it completely ignored the fact we choose and accept no sick pay protection, holiday pay, etc... I pay more or less equivalent amounts in tax via Corp tax \vat\ PAYE\ employee and employer ni to being an employed person.
I'm droning on!!!! I'm get me coat...
You can tell I'm not bitter about it !

Although IR35 implementaion has been delayed for 1 year (Sorry off topic but just wanted to mention).

Think this is fair enough - what is out of order, is Premiershite clubs putting their non playing staff on furlough!!

You beat me to it. What we are doing, and other League 1 & 2 clubs are/will be doing, is the right thing and exactly what the scheme is designed for.

That Premier League clubs think it is acceptable to furlough their low paid non playing staff whilst continuing to pay players their huge salaries is morally repugnant.

I doubt it but I wonder if once this is all over supporters will look differently at players who were happy to pocket their £100k a week salaries during this crisis

There seems to be a little misunderstanding. It doesn't matter how much someone is paid- if you furlough then up to £2500 per month is paid by the gov but it can be/is then topped up by the employer. So if we had some on £10k a month the gov would pay £2.5k and we could pay the balance of £7.5k. So actually you would sensible furlough everyone low or high earner.

It is also the employer who gets the money so we would carry on paying per the contracts but get back up to £2.5k per month for each and everyone we furloughed.

There seems to be a little misunderstanding. It doesn't matter how much someone is paid- if you furlough then up to £2500 per month is paid by the gov but it can be/is then topped up by the employer. So if we had some on £10k a month the gov would pay £2.5k and we could pay the balance of £7.5k. So actually you would sensible furlough everyone low or high earner.

It is also the employer who gets the money so we would carry on paying per the contracts but get back up to £2.5k per month for each and everyone we furloughed.
Not sure that high earning footballers was who the Govt scheme was designed for. Lower league clubs I understand taking advantage, but Premier League clubs? That’s taking the **** if you ask me. My company aren’t topping up my wage, but my company are genuinely struggling.

Last edited:
Emergency council superpowers meeting and a little ron speciale teaser. 6 months delay until next "positive" planning meeting.

Can totally understand the lower league clubs having to do this and in the long term could be our saviour in paying wages but, what I can’t get is the Premiership clubs and in fact it makes me really angry that these over paid, over egotistic players feel that they are worthy of still claiming their wages while they sit on their a**es doing sweet FA.
My views of these people have certainly changed and they showing themselves along with some of their clubs what they actually are and in the wider scheme of things of what is happening atm they don’t actually contribute anything more to society

Can totally understand the lower league clubs having to do this and in the long term could be our saviour in paying wages but, what I can’t get is the Premiership clubs and in fact it makes me really angry that these over paid, over egotistic players feel that they are worthy of still claiming their wages while they sit on their a**es doing sweet FA.
My views of these people have certainly changed and they showing themselves along with some of their clubs what they actually are and in the wider scheme of things of what is happening atm they don’t actually contribute anything more to society

Absolutely agree - off topic, hope you are feeling better now Tinks ?

wonder why only 7, would that thought they'd all be furloughed. Can believe we can afford to be paying them at the best of times let alone now..

I reckon it's the ones who aren't part of Sol's future plans but perhaps the higher earners, such as Hyam, Mantom, Lennon, Ox, Demi ?

Back