• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Furloughed players (or non-furloughed as it turns out)

Exactly! That was my point earlier, why not put the lot of them on furlough and get the Government to pay 80% of their wages for the next 3 months with the club only coughing up 20%
Why suddenly pay them 20% when we've paid them 0%?!

I think our cashflow issues will ease a little now that Ron has a deal that he can borrow against, but with no match day money coming in we're still broke and completely reliant on Ron.

Don't forget that it's only 80% up to £2,500pm and so if the club aren't topping up, then (most) players will be on (far) less than 80% of their basic salary.

Last edited:
And the assumption that companies will pay the 20% anyway - I don't know of many cases where that is actually happening, certainly not in smaller businesses.

It isn't as simple as an 80 -20 % pay money split is it?
Okay the up to £2500 is a set but take player A'
Player A is on £5 k a month, he gets put on the scheme so get what £2500? or call it half pay?
The club pay another 20% of what? the £5 k or of the £2500?

Or is it only 80% up to £2500 per month so player get £2k, do club pay up other £3k per month or are rules such that only £500 top is allowed?

What happens to NI and pension payments, paye rebates?

the government will pay 80% of the wages up to a maximum of £2500 a month, the employer is under no obligation to top it up but they can do if they wish.

I believe there has been an agreement on NI and pension payments that the government will pay these

Our HR has told us we had to agree to it, and we've signed documents accordingly. Didn't ask what would happen if any of us refused.
I wasn’t really given the option to refuse and out of our team of 5, 2 were made redundant. So, I happily accepted furlough.

Our HR has told us we had to agree to it, and we've signed documents accordingly. Didn't ask what would happen if any of us refused.

My place temporarily shutdown and a couple of days after we were notified anyone who couldn't work from home would be furloughed so it's better than the alternative I guess!

Liverpool the next top club to furlough staff, only 2 months after announcing a pre-tax profit of £42 million. Thought the whole idea was to help employees when companies couldn’t afford to maintain wages. Over the park, Everton have already stated they are continuing to pay all staff.

Liverpool the next top club to furlough staff, only 2 months after announcing a pre-tax profit of £42 million. Thought the whole idea was to help employees when companies couldn’t afford to maintain wages. Over the park, Everton have already stated they are continuing to pay all staff.
Liverpool are wholy owned by Fenway Sports Group, totally American and with different views on the world than the UK maybe.

According to the BBC the PFA say that top players taking a pay cut would be detrimental to the NHS

The Professional Footballers' Association says proposals for a 30% pay cut for Premier League players would be "detrimental to our NHS"

How thoughtful of them to continue to get paid full salary in order to save the NHS.

I’m furloughed and they’re topping us up with the 20%.
yer agreed I know its not the case with everyone, I have furloughed some members of my team, and am topping up the 20%, the company I represent are topping up 10%,, then 50% over the £2500 threshold. But I guess these things are fluid, and we will all have to view again if the lock down carries on longer than the initial period which I obviously expect it will

According to the BBC the PFA say that top players taking a pay cut would be detrimental to the NHS

The Professional Footballers' Association says proposals for a 30% pay cut for Premier League players would be "detrimental to our NHS"

How thoughtful of them to continue to get paid full salary in order to save the NHS.

Easy solution. They continue to be paid in full.
They donate 30% salary directly from personal bank accounts to NHS and still pay tax on full salary.

Easy solution. They continue to be paid in full.
They donate 30% salary directly from personal bank accounts to NHS and still pay tax on full salary.
Exactly the right answer. A cut in wages just benefits the already wealthy clubs not society more generally.

Unfortunately the PFA's logic is sound. The only ones who gain from reducing a high-earning player's pay by 30% is their club. The player loses 30% but sees about 50% of that offset by reduced taxes, and the taxman sees revenue from that player reduced by about 15%. The only way the goverment/us gains from this would be if the club donated the 30% to the NHS or similar. Given the way they're taking advantage of the CJRS to furlough non-playing staff, I'd say the chances of the clubs being charitable were very low.

Back