• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Furloughed players (or non-furloughed as it turns out)

Unfortunately the PFA's logic is sound. The only ones who gain from reducing a high-earning player's pay by 30% is their club. The player loses 30% but sees about 50% of that offset by reduced taxes, and the taxman sees revenue from that player reduced by about 15%. The only way the goverment/us gains from this would be if the club donated the 30% to the NHS or similar. Given the way they're taking advantage of the CJRS to furlough non-playing staff, I'd say the chances of the clubs being charitable were very low.

I'm sure the treasury can cope with a reduction of a few million in tax. It's a drop in the ocean compared to the sums they deal with.

I'm sure the treasury can cope with a reduction of a few million in tax. It's a drop in the ocean compared to the sums they deal with.

I think the idea was if the players took a cut of 30% the clubs could use that money to pay the rest of the staff and then the club wouldn't need to use furlough..

Unfortunately politicians who pick on easy targets for political cover are not immune to massive dollops of hypocracy.

Rishi Sunak the chancellor has a net worth of £200m dwarfing that of most Premier League footballers yet I can find no trace of Hancock telling him to give up 30% of his salary. He should focus his energy on delivering on his latest promise of 100,000 tests per day by the end of the month.

I think the idea was if the players took a cut of 30% the clubs could use that money to pay the rest of the staff and then the club wouldn't need to use furlough..

Unfortunately politicians who pick on easy targets for political cover are not immune to massive dollops of hypocracy.

Rishi Sunak the chancellor has a net worth of £200m dwarfing that of most Premier League footballers yet I can find no trace of Hancock telling him to give up 30% of his salary. He should focus his energy on delivering on his latest promise of 100,000 tests per day by the end of the month.

The PFA are arguing that a reduction in players wages would lead to a reduction in tax to the treasury. It's bollocks. The treasury wouldn't even notice the difference, but the clubs would be able to use the saving to pay their support staff.

The 100,000 tests wasn't Sunak's promise.

The PFA are arguing that a reduction in players wages would lead to a reduction in tax to the treasury. It's bollocks. The treasury wouldn't even notice the difference, but the clubs would be able to use the saving to pay their support staff.

The 100,000 tests wasn't Sunak's promise.

Well the PFA are factually correct that it would lead to less tax revenue for the treasury- it's just a statement of the obvious. However, on that basis no-one should take a cut and the argument is best described as very thin and will get little sympathy.

If players just took a 30% cut AND the clubs used it pay the otherwise furloughed staff then it is an attractive enough gesture (as long as clubs just don't pocket the saving and still furlough- a discussion I guess between Prem & PFA to ensure agreement). There is a certain argument that richer football clubs should not be using furlough in the first place- but that does not sit well to the extent that all other businesses (including very large profitable ones) will take advantage of furlough, and whilst they may not be paying large payments to footballers they do to very well paid executives instead. Hence, the argument that football clubs are being singled out unfairly to enable some political point scoring. You will agree with that or not.

Ref you other point I know it's not Sunak's promise- the he (i thought obviously but apologies if not) referred to Hancock. It was also Hancock, of course, that singled out high earning footballers.

BTW for the record I am not seeking to defend Prem footballers like they are a hard done by minority in some way, merely attempting to be factual..

Last edited:
Tbh my suggestion was tongue in cheek, I don't seriously think it would happen.
There are any number of ways rich individuals can make a financial contribution should they choose to.
For the record, I would also agree with those who point out that there are plenty of extremely wealthy individuals in all sorts of businesses who are not being publicly called out the way footballers are.

Well the PFA are factually correct that it would lead to less tax revenue for the treasury- it's just a statement of the obvious. However, on that basis no-one should take a cut and the argument is best described as very thin and will get little sympathy.

If players just took a 30% cut AND the clubs used it pay the otherwise furloughed staff then it is an attractive enough gesture (as long as clubs just don't pocket the saving and still furlough- a discussion I guess between Prem & PFA to ensure agreement). There is a certain argument that richer football clubs should not be using furlough in the first place- but that does not sit well to the extent that all other businesses (including very large profitable ones) will take advantage of furlough, and whilst they may not be paying large payments to footballers they do to very well paid executives instead. Hence, the argument that football clubs are being singled out unfairly to enable some political point scoring. You will agree with that or not.

Ref you other point I know it's not Sunak's promise- the he (i thought obviously but apologies if not) referred to Hancock. It was also Hancock, of course, that singled out high earning footballers.

BTW for the record I am not seeking to defend Prem footballers like they are a hard done by minority in some way, merely attempting to be factual..

Indeed.

I think the reason football has been singled out is because they're currently paying millions in salaries to a ring-fenced elite group whilst the rest of their staff (who can least afford it) are being furloughed. If the clubs hadn't furloughed their lowest paid people this wouldn't have been an issue.

Indeed.

I think the reason football has been singled out is because they're currently paying millions in salaries to a ring-fenced elite group whilst the rest of their staff (who can least afford it) are being furloughed. If the clubs hadn't furloughed their lowest paid people this wouldn't have been an issue.

Exactly, if none of the Premier clubs had put staff on furlough, no-one would be having these conversations.

The players should be venting their anger at these clubs. Personally I want to see these Premiershite clubs banned from making any signings for 3 years. That would obviously be a favour to them as how could they possible afford new signings when they can't pay staff!!

And some (well one) are having sex parties with expensive hookers.

"Expensive hookers" is a very tabloid phrase and one I'm never sure what to make of it.

Which is the more acceptable answer

"He was having sex parties with cheap hookers"

"He was having sex parties with reasonably priced hookers"

"He was having sex parties with expensive hookers"

"Expensive hookers" is a very tabloid phrase and one I'm never sure what to make of it.

He was having sex parties with very ugly hookers that paid him?

Kyle Walker can have as much sex with any type of hooker cheap or expensive, just not at the moment when he's suuposed to be social isolating. I mean, you can (apparantly, so I've been told) do that kind of thing over the web.

Kyle Walker can have as much sex with any type of hooker cheap or expensive, just not at the moment when he's suuposed to be social isolating. I mean, you can (apparantly, so I've been told) do that kind of thing over the web.

So the expensive bit is redundant, which is I suppose is the obvious conclusion when you reject furloughing.

You beat me to it. What we are doing, and other League 1 & 2 clubs are/will be doing, is the right thing and exactly what the scheme is designed for.

That Premier League clubs think it is acceptable to furlough their low paid non playing staff whilst continuing to pay players their huge salaries is morally repugnant.

I doubt it but I wonder if once this is all over supporters will look differently at players who were happy to pocket their £100k a week salaries during this crisis

While I 100% agree with sentiment of this as has been said by earlier posters players have to agree to reduced wages else they can lead on a free due to breach of contract. The PFA has told players not to accept and as reported yesterday players are themselves pushing back - see the Rooney interview.

With no ongoing income for the clubs ,if players high earners or not had any love for the club they would in any way they can help the club get through this crisis ,if it means being furloughed then thats great .

Expensive hookers should give up 30% of their pay to the poor furloughed ones from York road and Ambleside.

Low payed staff at a football club at least get their 80% form the government (clubs will probably top up the rest) The girls on the street are self employed and I bet their claim wont pass the test when it comes to it.

Now reversed their decision to furlough some staff and have also issued an apology.

It should never have been an option that was presented, let alone the one they ended up selecting; just shows how out of touch these people are!!

Let's hope the other Premier League clubs follow suit.

Back