• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Future of TV news

Instant research possibilities too. Imagine being able to surf the net one one side of the screen, while watching CSI on the other.

You know, the more I watch Star Trek, the more I realise that, actually, they weren't that technologically advanced after all.

Instant research possibilities too. Imagine being able to surf the net one one side of the screen, while watching CSI on the other.

You know, the more I watch Star Trek, the more I realise that, actually, they weren't that technologically advanced after all.
Most of today's scientist, techies and engineers admit to being influenced by Star Trek so its no real surprise .
Personally i think the creator of that app has just been reading to much Transmetropolitan ;)

Most of today's scientist, techies and engineers admit to being influenced by Star Trek so its no real surprise .
Personally i think the creator of that app has just been reading to much Transmetropolitan ;)

Seriously Osy, where do you come up with this ****?!

I can pretty much guarantee that a scientist didn't walk in one morning in the 80's, going "Hey, Brett, you know what? I watched Star Trek last night and they had his frickin' cool laser gun" and his colleague turned round, shouting "TOTALLY! We should make one!!"

Seriously Osy, where do you come up with this ****?!
The show’s cultural influence goes far beyond its longevity and profitability. An entire subculture grew up around the show and, anecdotally, there are indications that Star Trek has influenced many people's lives. Many scientists and engineers claim that their professional and life choices were influenced by Star Trek.[10] The inventor of the first non-vehicular cell phone, Martin Cooper, states he was motivated to develop it from watching Star Trek.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_M._Krauss Physicist

Please tell me you really didnt believe nerds and techies are not influenced by Sc fi . Having worked in IT every IT person i have ever know is a Trek , Star wars nut etc Iain M Bank Arthur C Clarke huge influences .

EastStand Blue . Well the inventor of the first non-vehicular cell phone, Martin Cooper would disprove you at the least .

Its a huge cultural influence not the sole one but you guys never heard of art influencing life ?

I mean its not like these guys here are Scientists , engineers , tetchies oh wait http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/behindscenes/star_trek.html

Last edited:
Back