• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of Thrones S5 - Discussion Thread

Pubey

This thread is for US/Sky Atlantic pace only. For major spoilers, use spoiler tags!
xx

So a fairly standard scene setting episode. Glad to see
  Spoiler:  
Jon Snow
continues to have the best story and best scenes. Everything else was moving pieces into place but at the expense of anything interesting to actually watch.

Whoops this can be merged with the other thread. Couldn't see it, but then posted this one and then saw it 3 posts down!!

This thread is for US/Sky Atlantic pace only. For major spoilers, use spoiler tags!
xx

So a fairly standard scene setting episode. Glad to see
  Spoiler:  
Jon Snow
continues to have the best story and best scenes. Everything else was moving pieces into place but at the expense of anything interesting to actually watch.

Have to agree, it was an OK episode but you can't expect huge plot twists in Episode 1. I look forward to the meeting of Tyrion and Danerys!

Have to agree, it was an OK episode but you can't expect huge plot twists in Episode 1. I look forward to the meeting of Tyrion and Danerys!

But in terms of story this is basically straight after S4, so why not treat it with some continuity and appreciate that people know where people are and get straight to it.

I'd just like an episode where it jumps into some action or drama and follows it for a whole ep.

The pacing of the show struggles because it has so many threads to shuffle about so that the 'big bits' all make sense. The show hasn't felt more fragmented (which I'm sure it's intentional), but with KL, The North, Meereen, and I guess Bravos and the other characters dotted about (Sansa, Brienne) it just feels too broken at the moment.

Agree with Pubey. The final episode of each series is generally used to tie up loose ends, so things should be able to get going straight away in the next.

Ratio of naked males to naked females was all wrong too.

Spoiler:  
Shame to see Mance Ryder go. Ciarán Hinds - Troll King, Frozen fans! - is absolutely superb. His expression when told how he was going to die was brilliantly portrayed

But in terms of story this is basically straight after S4, so why not treat it with some continuity and appreciate that people know where people are and get straight to it.

I'd just like an episode where it jumps into some action or drama and follows it for a whole ep.

The pacing of the show struggles because it has so many threads to shuffle about so that the 'big bits' all make sense. The show hasn't felt more fragmented (which I'm sure it's intentional), but with KL, The North, Meereen, and I guess Bravos and the other characters dotted about (Sansa, Brienne) it just feels too broken at the moment.

I did find the whole 2 minutes of "what's gone before" a little odd. I very much doubt people would jump in at series 5!

Having watched the first 4 episodes there are some pretty major deviations from the book, Sansa in particular has gone way off the path.

Now I get to wait a month or more till episode 5. Doh!

Having watched the first 4 episodes there are some pretty major deviations from the book, Sansa in particular has gone way off the path.

Now I get to wait a month or more till episode 5. Doh!

No book talk in here please.

Yeah this is could be interesting, I feel these characters still have a huge roll to play in later episodes.

Just as well you don't read the books if you struggle with the pace in this, you can go an entire book without reading a chapter about one of the main characters.

Just as well you don't read the books if you struggle with the pace in this, you can go an entire book without reading a chapter about one of the main characters.

I've got no problem with characters being dropped for a while and then picked up again, it's the overall pacing of all the stories which doesn't work at times (for me).

That's a good link, it's nice to get some background without spoilers.

Another weekly feature. Not as 'must read' as the Andy Greenwald pieces, but still enjoyable enough. The 'scene of the week' made me laugh :smile:

Back