• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of thrones -season 8

One thing would have tied it up nicely IMHO.

Spoiler:  
Bran turns to the camera, smiles and his eyes flash bright blue, ala The Night King. Fade black.....Cue the music!

Last edited:
They had too many loose ends that they couldn't resolve properly, along with deus ex machinas they needed to introduce to enable the story to progress quickly enough.

I actually think the task was impossible, the scale was too big and the challenge to complex to really have been improved significantly from what we've been left with. So on the whole it's ok I guess.
That would be excusable if HBO hadn't told the showrunners they were happy to finance seasons 7-9 with 10 episodes each. It's the showrunners who said no and decided to do 2 short seasons instead, which is likely because they've signed up to do a Star Wars trilogy for Disney and so needed GoT wrapped up ASAP to start work on that.

This show has been one of the greatest of all time, and will forever be up there with the best of them. But Season 8, has to be the worst of the lot, even to the point it has tainted it slightly - for me at least.

Where to begin with that episode? It pretty much summed up the idiocy & inconsistencies of this entire season. The opening episodes which were meandering & stuttering at best, really were the writing on the wall.

Having Jon moping around at the start of the episode, still banging on about “she’s our queen”, was just plain ****ing dumb.

Arya, Tyrion, Sansa & Bran not revealing Jon’s true lineage was dumb.

Bran doesn’t want to be a Lord, but has no problem in being a King. Dumb

Dany finding herself alone & vulnerable with Jon, even after she’d acknowledged that he’d “betrayed” her, was dumb.

Sansa informing Greyworm that Kings Landing is surrounded by North Men is dumb, because literally one episode ago we saw KL being destroyed.

Oh and as for The Unsullied, how did they become such a superpower that they could have their demands met, by the Lords & Ladies of Westeros? Urgh.

Seven seasons of build-up & character arcs, for seemingly little payoff. It’s like they just ran out of ideas, and even the most basic of storylines became too hard for them to finish, in a deserving manner. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, they had two years & a blank cheque, yet this is the best they can come up with?

The Night King, and the immense battle against the dead, that had been hyped up since the opening scene of S1ep1. It turns out all you needed, was someone who was fleet of foot, who could juggle a small blade.

The Long Night, which occurred previously, lasted for generations. This one was knocked out in a couple of hours, in time for breakfast.

The other main part of the story has been who would rule Westeros? As it turns out, someone who nobody really cared about and/or wanted.

Bran transitioned into the three-eyed raven, for what? (And what does a three-eyed raven need a master of whispers for?) Pointless.

Theon’s sister & her arc - pointless

Jon’s true parental lineage - pointless.

All the prophecies that were never to be - why?

Dany wanting to change the world - pointless. In fact Dany’s whole rapid decent into out-and-out madness was a load of tripe.

It’s hard not to be disappointed really. Ok, some of the character arcs finished in a fitting manner. Sansa & Arya instantly spring to mind. But the vast majority weren’t remotely fitting.

Jon being sent to the wall would have been a cool end for his character, if he hadn’t already spent five ****ing seasons there already. His resurrection was pointless.

Also, what is the point of the wall anymore? The free folk are now considered friends, the Night King and his army have been defeated forever.

Castle black, is effectively a redundant outpost, for a redundant nights watch.

I honestly do not think that Martin will finish his book series, following a similar storyline, to the one that these berks have given us. It’s been rushed, poorly constructed & totally contradictory to what we’ve seen over the course of this series.

This show has been one of the greatest of all time, and will forever be up there with the best of them. But Season 8, has to be the worst of the lot, even to the point it has tainted it slightly - for me at least.

Where to begin with that episode? It pretty much summed up the idiocy & inconsistencies of this entire season. The opening episodes which were meandering & stuttering at best, really were the writing on the wall.

Having Jon moping around at the start of the episode, still banging on about “she’s our queen”, was just plain ****ing dumb. He loved her and was horrified of what she turned into. Understandable.

Arya, Tyrion, Sansa & Bran not revealing Jon’s true lineage was dumb.

Bran doesn’t want to be a Lord, but has no problem in being a King. Dumb

Dany finding herself alone & vulnerable with Jon, even after she’d acknowledged that he’d “betrayed” her, was dumb. Again, she thought that he loved her beyond anything.

Sansa informing Greyworm that Kings Landing is surrounded by North Men is dumb, because literally one episode ago we saw KL being destroyed. Possibly a gamble by Sansa?

Oh and as for The Unsullied, how did they become such a superpower that they could have their demands met, by the Lords & Ladies of Westeros? Urgh. They hadn't. Davos said they were due a debt than humanity could never repay.

Seven seasons of build-up & character arcs, for seemingly little payoff. It’s like they just ran out of ideas, and even the most basic of storylines became too hard for them to finish, in a deserving manner. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, they had two years & a blank cheque, yet this is the best they can come up with?

The Night King, and the immense battle against the dead, that had been hyped up since the opening scene of S1ep1. It turns out all you needed, was someone who was fleet of foot, who could juggle a small blade. Perhaps the NK got too cocky?

The Long Night, which occurred previously, lasted for generations. This one was knocked out in a couple of hours, in time for breakfast.

The other main part of the story has been who would rule Westeros? As it turns out, someone who nobody really cared about and/or wanted. Isn't that the point? Those who craved the throne never got it.

Bran transitioned into the three-eyed raven, for what? (And what does a three-eyed raven need a master of whispers for?) Pointless. He's off looking for a dragon.

Theon’s sister & her arc - pointless Not really. She's now the ruler of the Iron Islands.

Jon’s true parental lineage - pointless. Again not really as it means he was a threat to Dany.

All the prophecies that were never to be - why? Because they're just stories. It was quite refreshing as in similiar stories that prophecies HAVE to come true. We know they're just bollocks and that's how they turned out to be in GOT.

Dany wanting to change the world - pointless. In fact Dany’s whole rapid decent into out-and-out madness was a load of tripe. She thought she could make a peaceful world by killing millions. That's madness on a grand scale.

It’s hard not to be disappointed really. Ok, some of the character arcs finished in a fitting manner. Sansa & Arya instantly spring to mind. But the vast majority weren’t remotely fitting. They didn't meet your expectations you mean.

Jon being sent to the wall would have been a cool end for his character, if he hadn’t already spent five ****ing seasons there already. His resurrection was pointless. Not really. He killed Dany.

Also, what is the point of the wall anymore? The free folk are now considered friends, the Night King and his army have been defeated forever. That I agree with. Tokenism perhaps?

Castle black, is effectively a redundant outpost, for a redundant nights watch.

I honestly do not think that Martin will finish his book series, following a similar storyline, to the one that these berks have given us. It’s been rushed, poorly constructed & totally contradictory to what we’ve seen over the course of this series.

GRRM has worked closely with B&W in regards to how the series will finish. IF he does complete his books they're unlikely to end THAT differently from the TV show.

Expand for my thoughts in red.

I'm sad it's all over, it's kept me captivated through every season including this one. The big question now is how do I fill the hole in my viewing life that this series ending has left?

Could it have been done differently? probably, but who really cares. GoT is no more and I wonder if the proposed prequels will be up to scratch?

Expand for my thoughts in red.

Right, complicated way of quoting it, but ok.

He loved her and was horrified of what she turned into. Understandable.

Granted, Jon had a connection with Dany, but he’s just watched her slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocents, he’s heard her threaten to do the same all across Westeros, and he knows full well that his sisters will be targets.

Yet the writers want us to believe that this erudite-like man, is so densely loyal, that his moral compass is spinning out of control? Please. I’m sorry, but using “love” as an excuse is just sloppy & lazy writing.

Again, she thought that he loved her beyond anything.

Dany knew Jon was a threat. He had a better claim to the throne, and had fiercely loyal supporters. She believed that he had “betrayed” her, and she also publically announced that Winterfell was a future target of hers.

And yet the girl is so blindsided by love, that she allows herself to fall into a vulnerable situation, immediately after this declaration of war? Nah, leave it out, it just doesn’t make sense. When characters start making stupid decisions in order to progress the plot, you know the writers are struggling.

Possibly a gamble by Sansa?

Yeah, fair point. Could well have been a gamble. Although you’ve got to imagine that Her & Bran didn’t travel down to KL alone.

They hadn't. Davos said they were due a debt than humanity could never repay.

True, they were owed a debt. But as per the previous point, Sansa has already threatened Greyworm with retaliation from the Northern Army, if Jon was hurt. She’s already expressed her desire to keep her brother from harm, to the point she is willing to go to war.

To go from that bold statement, to accepting her brother - the one true heir to the poxy throne - being sent to Coventry, seems a bit far fetched.

Perhaps the NK got too ****y?

Sorry, I can’t decipher that word.

Isn't that the point? Those who craved the throne never got it.

Maybe, although worth noting that Dany did get it - albeit briefly. The point is, it didn’t make any sense at all for Bran to get it. They could have literally picked a name out of a hat.

Theon’s sister & her arc - pointless Not really. She's now the ruler of the Iron Islands.

Wow. Glad they included her in the show then. Definitely wouldn’t have made sense without that cornerstone of information holding the plot together.

Jon’s true parental lineage - pointless. Again not really as it means he was a threat to Dany.

But she loved him, remember? How could his true lineage get in the way of that, if she truly thought “he loved her beyond anything”. That’s the level of inconsistency in referring to.

FWIW, I personally think the writers hated this plot line, and just weren’t clever enough to work out how to do anything with it. That’s why they ignored it.

Because they're just stories. It was quite refreshing as in similiar stories that prophecies HAVE to come true. We know they're just bollocks and that's how they turned out to be in GOT.
I wouldn’t have minded if it were the odd one or two little ones, but they’ve ignored more than that, and some have been absolute whoppers.

Fans: I thought Azor Ahai was the only one who could defeat the magic of the Night King.
Benioff & Weiss: Nope, that was just a pointless part of the story.

Fans: I thought Arya had to kill certain big players, with certain eye colours.
Benioff and Weiss: Nope, got you again.
Fans: Jaime as Valonqar maybe?
B&W: pass the blunt, I need some more creative inspiration.

She thought she could make a peaceful world by killing millions. That's madness on a grand scale.

I agree. However I said her rapid descent into madness was ridiculous. You know, that rapid descent that lasted a couple of episodes.

They didn't meet your expectations you mean.

Correct.

Are you suggesting that you happy with the main characters arcs? Was you expecting Cersei to die by something as pathetic as falling bricks?

The writers couldn’t even come up with a good end for the dragon ffs, so they just said he’s ****ed off East, somewhere :ROFL:

Not really. He killed Dany.

Literally any of them could have killed Dany. Varys was supposedly trying. Tyrion had the opportunity, whilst stood face-to-face with her on the steps.

GRRM has worked closely with B&W in regards to how the series will finish. IF he does complete his books they're unlikely to end THAT differently from the TV show.

My understanding is that B&W guessed how the story was set to go - like many fans - and GRRM gave them a brief outline. They adapted that outline, to how they saw fit.

Of course some of the stuff we’ve seen, will loosely fit into the book series, however, I’m convinced we’ll see much, much more of the story. Such as, the prophecies etc, that B&W chose to ignore

The Night King got c0cky/arrogant. He had to die somehow and the it was just a simple dagger in the ribs that did for him. No fancy sword or magic.

The Night King got c0cky/arrogant. He had to die somehow and the it was just a simple dagger in the ribs that did for him. No fancy sword or magic.

Sadly, I tend to think you’re right (first time ever, congratulations :Winking:) and they intentionally made the Night King appear cocky. His half-grin towards Dany, as he survived the dragon fire, would seem to support that theory.

The problem I have with that is, it doesn’t fit with his personality that we’ve came to understand over the past 4 seasons. We know him as an emotionless, calculated, killing machine, similar to that of a terminator.

(If Cameron turned the T-1000 into a cocky/arrogant killer, Robert Patrick’s character wouldn’t have carried the same weight, and the film wouldn’t have been as good, surely everyone can agree on that?)

I agree totally, that he had to die somehow, but the option they chose - IMHO - didn’t fit with the hype that surrounded him. He was an icy zombie, who was impervious to flames, could raise the dead, control dragons, and whip an ice-bolt better than an Olympic javlinist.

The way he calmly took down Dany’s dragon, was fitting for his character. The way he nonchalantly resurrected the dead at Hardhome was fitting for his character. Grinning inanely at Dany, and sauntering upto Bran was ridiculously out-of-character.

Then we have the scriptures, which painted him out to be unstoppable, and the only time he (or the army of the dead) was defeated, was due to equally mythical & inconceivable magic, in the form of Azor Ahai.

That’s the reason we were so engrossed In his storyline. It was one of the main reasons we followed the show, for all these years, because we knew it would take something of epic proportions to stop this frozen terminator.

Now, I could get my head around the idea that the scriptures were somewhat exaggerated, and he wasn’t as unstoppable as he had been made out to be, but only if the writers had followed that path for a prolonged period of time, and explained it appropriately.

Unfortunately, for them to do that, it would have to go against everything we’ve been hyped to believe over the last 8 seasons.

FWIW, I believe B&W’s hashed end to this tale, was partly to appease GRRM & his books. He’s said today that his books will have a different end, and I can only assume they’ll be closer to the ending that we were (half) expecting - with a few twists & turns thrown in for good measure.

Was a bit behind so watched the last 3 episodes back to back tonight.

I just thought it was terrible. Everything was just way too rushed - it's their own fault for leaving too many things open going into the last season imo.

The way one of the dragons died in the I think 3rd from last episode was just ridiculous. They just walked into an attack which just wouldn't happen.

Overall though I've really enjoyed the series it's just the ending is an anti climax for me.

So Benihoff & Weiss admit that they rushed the final series and took out the "fantasy elements" in order to bugger off and make another Star Wars trilogy....which they've now canned. :Facepalm:

Caught up with the ruler of the six kingdoms a couple of months ago at the Surrey v Essex game at the oval. Trying to get him to make me the Lord of somewhere as I'm family

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1572359175013.jpg
    FB_IMG_1572359175013.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 20
Caught up with the ruler of the six kingdoms a couple of months ago at the Surrey v Essex game at the oval. Trying to get him to make me the Lord of somewhere as I'm family
You can just make out Arya launching herself from the balcony with a dagger

So Benihoff & Weiss admit that they rushed the final series and took out the "fantasy elements" in order to bugger off and make another Star Wars trilogy....which they've now canned. :Facepalm:

Went down hill after season six for me, I also thought season seven was rushed through. I know it’s difficult to end something so good, remembering the Sopranos, but this felt like they’d ran out of ideas and couldn’t be bothered anymore. Really disappointed me.

Back