• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of thrones -season 8

I have no idea how this is all going to pan out. With 3 feature length episodes left I'm sure it's not a simple as a battle of the survivors vs Cersei. There are twists to come of that I'm sure.

This is something I have lots of questions on. As we saw in the space of one night the army of the dead grew significantly so you’d imagine that a war over generations would see the dead grow and engulf Westeros, how could this be reversed and the night king still be alive to fight another day? If the dead had such an advantage surely the only way to stop them would be like what happened this time around, the night king being taken out? So with that in mind, does the night king die? Will there be perpetual “summer” now? Or is it just the physical manifestation of the night king that is dead and he will now be beyond the wall gaining his strength and army over generations waiting for another shot? How would that tie in with the creation of the night king by the children of the forest? Any ideas? Anyone?

Exactly. The unanswered questions, far outweigh the payoff from this so-called end to the NK’s story arc.

Everything about it felt rushed & disorganised.

I mentioned in my previous post, how B&W wanted to go a different path, from what was the expected one, but they’ve just made a hash of it IMO.

I can only assume the reason they went this different route, was because GRRM wanted his story to play out, how he saw it & B&W weren’t actually allowed to follow it too closely. Although, I admit, that’s just pure speculation on my part

I have no idea how this is all going to pan out. With 3 feature length episodes left I'm sure it's not a simple as a battle of the survivors vs Cersei. There are twists to come of that I'm sure.

I’d hope so.

Although, with the idea that the final three episodes will finally close this whole story, I’m a little concerned that there won’t be enough time to do the story justice. Feature-length episodes or not.

A (good) story is meant to flow naturally towards a dramatic & climactic finish.

IF this is the end of the NK & his armies, then the pacing of this season has been all wrong.

We’ve been lead to believe that this war - The Great War - was the biggest thing in this entire story. Not a side plot. Not something that can be resolved mid-season.

Frankly, the race for The Iron Throne, has been much less significant, since Season 3 or 4. It’ll take something unbelievable to make that race relevant again, now. It feels like I’ve gone to a posh restaurant & had my entree before my starter.

There's 4 1/2hrs left I believe. Plenty of time yet to flesh out and already fleshy'd out story.

hmm. on one hand it was visually and dramatically incredible. the opening first 5 minutes and towards the end of the battle were pretty stunning. All the Arya moments were amazing.

However a lot of stuff didn't really work:
- Dragons
- I liked the gloomy idea, but at times it was really hard to follow what was going on
- The general battle plans were nonsense (don't land your dragon on a battle field, don't send your horses into the pitch black etc)
- Theon was kind of good but it did make me laugh when he charged
- The Crypt was underwhelming
- Where was Davos the whole time?
- The editing was a bit much, most characters seemed to die repeatedly but somehow survived

In the end, only ending up with Jorah and Theon dying as main characters seemed a bit too implausible.

On one hand I can understand why people are annoyed there wasn't more known about the NK's motives but in the end, he was the bringer of death, he wanted to erase Bran/societies memory and history, and it was a literal battle of Ice and Fire. The bigger themes can be explored in the books (although I doubt they'll ever come). Cersei and the Seven Kingdoms was always the bigger issue that the show was focussed on. Now Jon and Dany have no army really and need to take on Cersei and the Golden Deux Ex Company. Wonder if Daario will come across with some Dothraki or something.

Last edited:
The death of the NK by Arya was obviously the way GRRM wrote it to go down
The Night King was an invention for the show, he doesn't exist in the books. There is a "Night's King", but he's a legendary figure from history that fell in love with a white walker (meaning he can't have created them). It's also worth mentioning that the meeting doesn't happen in the books.

Last edited:
Just read an interesting theory:

The Lord Of Light brings people back to life, to serve a purpose. So why was Jon brought back?

The odds looked in favour of him being Azor Ahai, but if the NK and his army are gone, that makes him pretty much redundant. Or...

In S08EP1, Arya sneaks up on Jon in the Weirwood tree. while Jon asking her "how did you sneak up on me?" while Arya answers " How did you survive a knife to the heart?" and Jon replies " I didn't"

Knowing what happened to the NK in S08EP3 isn't this basically a foreshadowing?

Not to mention Bran warging for a long time while Theon defends him. we get to see him scout the NK with the ravens but is that really all he did? and him being alive pretty much confirms the battle against the dead is not yet over. I'm guessing there is another hodor moment about to happen. Otherwise he had no reason to be kept on the show.

I really hope there’s more to this story, than how it was left yesterday.

The Night King was an invention for the show, he doesn't exist in the books. There is a "Night's King", but he's a legendary figure from history that fell in love with a white walker (meaning he can't have created them). It's also worth mentioning that the meeting doesn't happen in the books.

I've only read the first, many years ago, so I wasn't aware of that.

OMG!
What a battle and glad I waited until the evening given all of this episode was in the dark.
It had me right on the edge of my seat and although quite a spectacular battle some parts were a little far fetched and for the NK to die so easily I was slightly disappointed.
What a gal that Arya is

Did the night king die. Or is the night king now part of bran/3 eyed raven.

I think there is a lot more twists yet to come.

We will find out.

I do think that it was fairly unrealistic.

The dothraki riding into darkness was madness.

Sam surviving bonkers

I did like arya killing the night king although I would have liked to have seen him kill one of the main characters with absolute ease first.
A real fighter like the hound or Brianne. Theon charging was laughable.

Theon knew the charge at the NK was suicide but he felt redeemed in the eyes of Bran, who he nearly had killed in S2. A noble death for someone who has come full circle.

As others have said I am not convinced that Bran is all what we think and more to come from him although he does make me laugh when something is about to happen he decides to say “ I am going now” and into his trance he goes. How inconsiderate is that to all around him who are fighting to save their lives.

Waiting to see how they now proceed onto Kings Landing

I've been thinking about where this episode failed to hit the mark. I think it was brilliant but for what was supposed to be the culmination of all that had gone before regarding the dead (if it is?) it didn't top previous episodes.

For me the battle scenes were better in the battle of the bastards. The heroic last stands of Ser Jorah and Theon were topped by Ser Barristons heroic last stand. The shock value of Arya killing the night king not as shocking as the Mountain crushing Oberyn's head etc.

Basically we saw nothing more impressive than what had come before. Still brilliant, it's just set itself such a high standard.

Ok, Bran said "he is going now". Now perhaps that means the essence of what Bran is (his soul?) has left his body and the NK took over Bran's body on dying. The writers aren't idiots, they can see that people would shrug their shoulders and say "that was easy" but I can see the dead & NK returning before the finale probably at KL.

Ok, Bran said "he is going now". Now perhaps that means the essence of what Bran is (his soul?) has left his body and the NK took over Bran's body on dying. The writers aren't idiots, they can see that people would shrug their shoulders and say "that was easy" but I can see the dead & NK returning before the finale probably at KL.

I think you’re onto something. There has to be more to this than meets the eye. I can’t believe anyone is truly satisfied with how that story arc has ended, especially not after building it up for 8 seasons.

There’s 3 episodes left to save it, and I’m hoping for something as Earth shattering, as Hardhome, Battle of the bastards, Raines of castermere etc.

Episode 5 is being built up:

Speaking to Jimmy Kimmel, Daenyrys Targaryen actress Emilia Clarke teased that this week’s episode will be even bigger. She’s recommending that fans find the best telly possible to watch it on.

Describing what to expect, Emilia said that they “are going to be mental – episode five is bigger. Episode five is ahhhh.”

“I mean four and five and six, they’re all insane, but…” Clarke added.

Back