• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Flashing Blade

Youth Team
..and reasons why. (it can be 100 if you want it to
wink.gif
)

As it's transfer deadline day and absolutely nothing will happen, us Blues fans have to look to other means to fill out time on message boards.

Therefore:-

All this `David Crown's winner against Wigan' fave goal recollections has only served to reopen the wound that I wasn't there to see it.
For years this was mentioned as one of the best games ever and I wasn't there - instead a family Easter break to Butlins, Bognor Regis to watch ballroom dancing! (mum's a fan) At the time you could count the number of games I missed home and away on the fingers of one hand so this was a constant thorn in my side not to have been there, compounded by the fact that I'd also missed the other `best game ever' the 4-4 v Northampton the previous year - grounded because of a row with my mum as I was walking out the door to the game. (while I think about it, my mum also threw out all my early programmes, including the Liverpool game, because `they were taking up space' at the bottom of my wardrobe. Why am I still nice to this person??!!)

My attendance after Dave Webb left and Vic told me to support one of the other 91 clubs became a bit more sketchy but the three other times we've come from 2-0 down to win in that time I've missed the lot - although I did see us come from 3 down against Charlton but then we still lost so it doesn't really count!

I remember Lee Venus, who never missed a match, breaking down on the way to Derby in '94. Still the best I've ever seen Southend play (3-1 win) the week before Barry Fry walked over broken glass to Birmingham (unfortunately that was just a figure of speech)

Any others

eastwood's debut against swanser.. i was in vegas reading live web feeds..

Chesterfield away when we won 4-3 last season, the Freddy Eastwood show!

Gutted to have missed it, but sounded so good on BBC Essex and SSN!

Swansea away last season - just couldn't make it and I was convinced we'd claim promotion at the Hall on the last day
sad.gif

The 5-3 win over Bournemouth in 1998; I was representing my squadron in the British Army Ski Championships in Aviemore ... at least I've seen the highlights now but it's not the same as being there!

Strangely, a 2-1 defeat at Torquay on a Friday night in October 2001.

Due to an accident on the M4 - on the only occassion we decided to go that route to Devon as supposed to the A303 - we never made kick-off. Disappointing because it's the only discrepency in an otherwise 10-year unbeaten run away from home! (the previous 'missed' away game was at Huddersfield in April 1996).

Other than that, definitely all the Anglo-Italian games. At the time I was too young to be able to pay for myself to go, and my Dad was temporaily out of work, so couldn't pay for the two of us. Would have loved seeing us out there, especially Fiorentina, and it's a massive disappointment that I couldn't make them.

Macclesfield Away 2 Seasons ago, When McCormack netted a dramatic late late winner...

Had to miss it as i couldn't get the night off work.

I've got a pick from a few. Eastwood's debut, playoff final, Swansea away last year and that's just the big ones. Playoff final was most gutting as my finals started the next day and I had to go and revise some more as soon as the final whistle went.

Damn uni.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 31 2006,11:37)]I've got a pick from a few.  Eastwood's debut, playoff final, Swansea away last year and that's just the big ones.  Playoff final was most gutting as my finals started the next day and I had to go and revise some more as soon as the final whistle went.

Damn uni.
Revising!

Something I have never spent a single second of my life doing!

Beating Bolton 5-2, I was at Lords watching Essex getting tubbed by Lancashire.

The only highlight was when I phoned my Mum to get a score update, a guy behind me said 'what's the Tottenham score?', my Mum said 'Tottenham won', the guy starting jumping around and then she said 'Tottenham 1, Arsenal 2'
laugh.gif

I laughed my conkers off!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Aug. 31 2006,11:05)]eastwood's debut against swansea.. i was in vegas reading live web feeds..
snap although i wasnt in vegas with CS J

i cant even remeber why i missed it but i did and get conastanly reminded by my mate who was there.

down.gif

1. The 10-1 against Aldersh!t in the LDV Vans. I missed it because I was a student and couldn't afford to get home.

2. The 7-0 against Torquay in the next round. I missed it because lightening doesn't strike twice!

Swansea (A) and Bury (A) for starters.

Bury was before I started travelling to away games, whilst it was my best mate's stag do for Swansea and the only game I missed out of the last dozen. We now barely talk.

The first LDV final - I got seconded to Hong Kong 4 days before it. Fortunately we got there twice the next season, although it must have been great to experience our first ever major final.

Swansea "we've only got 8 men" - I'd seen a whole string of dire away games and didn't fancy spending yet another ton watching us lose again in some godforsaken hole. Instead spent a fortune in mobile phone bills as I got someone in Essex who could pick up BBC Essex to hold their phone next to the radio so I could listen to it, and was able to catch the live commentary of Mark Warren's goal.

But the one more than any other game I wish I could have been at was when we came from 1-0 down in injury time to win 2-1 at Gillingham. I was a student at the time and decided not to race back on the Friday night to see another defeat. Its games like Swansea and Gillingham which make you go every week, as a single game like that can make a season or two's worth of torture feel like a price worth paying.

Got talked into going to see chelsea play norwich in 1993 with a mate. Efan ekoku scored for norwich in the 90th minutes as chelsea lost and as i was leaving i heard the div 1 scorescome through and that southend had beaten oxford 6-1 at roots hall. Needless to say i never went to chelsea again.

I really wanted to go to Swansea away last season - new ground, last away game of the season, possibly going to win promotion (which of course did happen!) - but my mates decided that that was the weekend they were going to visit me at Uni for the first time! They only had the previous 8 months or so to do so, but they had to choose that weekend! I practically ingnored them while watching final score until the final whistle blew - cue madness!

Was so gutted I couldn't go though as not only by all accounts it sounded like an awesome day, but I also have a mate at Uni in Swansea and the nightlife is supposedly awesome - could have been interesting celebrating promotion that night!!

Back