• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Games you have missed due to family/mates duty

DTS

The Business
Tomorrow as some of you head towards Brighton I will be heading the other way towards Worthing. Its one of my best mates ("The Pilot") stag do's and were off Quad biking and Pigeon Shooting.

Brighton is such an easy one for me. 10 mins on the train, no worrys about how late I stay drinking after the game etc. That said I dont mind missing it as said Stag is one of my best mates.

I also recall being really gutted to miss Hartlepool at home in the FA Cup once. I had my brothers wedding and I recall beign gutted to find out I had missed a Tony Scully screamer.

Who else had had to miss a game they maybe would like to have gone to for personal reasons?

Peterborough away - May 1990. Had to attend a wedding, but managed to listen in on earpiece on transistor for scores. A crucial game, but two goals from 'Il Supremo' David Crown and we're back in the old Third Division. I think you all know what happened the season after...

Peterborough away - May 1990. Had to attend a wedding, but managed to listen in on earpiece on transistor for scores. A crucial game, but two goals from 'Il Supremo' David Crown and we're back in the old Third Division. I think you all know what happened the season after...

Are the couple still a couple now?

I missed out on Barnet away I think it was once to go to a wedding and they lasted about 5 months.

Home to Doncaster in the season we won League One. We could have clinched promotion that day but some mug called Matt the Shrimp decided to get married so I had to miss it. Lucky for Matt, we lost.

You may also recall Dave me old son that you went on Holiday to Brazil some time ago but due back in the morning of a home game against Hartlepool. This was actually about the time of 11th September, and flights all over the world were delayed by 24 hours. As a result you were absolutely gutted to spend another day in Brazil and miss the Hartlepool game.

I was at the game which from memory was a boring goal less draw, some people don't realise when they are well off?

DoDtS

P.S. DtS will be gutted when he gets knocked out of the Prediction Cup tomorrow?

You may also recall Dave me old son that you went on Holiday to Brazil some time ago but due back in the morning of a home game against Hartlepool. This was actually about the time of 11th September, and flights all over the world were delayed by 24 hours. As a result you were absolutely gutted to spend another day in Brazil and miss the Hartlepool game.

I was at the game which from memory was a boring goal less draw, some people don't realise when they are well off?

DoDtS

P.S. DtS will be gutted when he gets knocked out of the Prediction Cup tomorrow?

Good call - Forgot about that one too......Barrington Belgraves debut.

I thought you might have moaned that I decided to get married the same day as the youth tournament this summer at Roots Hall?

The Play off final at the Millenium stadium. I had been there twice for the 2 LDV finals and we lost both times.

My sister-in-law was getting married on Play Off final day and I really couldn't duck out of that could I? I was on the top table as well, so would have been uber-noticable had I not been there.

So, I had my radio in my pocket and my ear-piece in, listening intently while munching through soup, then Roast Beef with all the trimmings. Just as I was tucking into a dessert of Profiteroles oozing with chocolate, Eastwood bangs the ball in the net.

Totally and utterly forgetting where I was, I leapt up and screamed 'get in you beauty' and started doing a jig, before realizing the whole wedding party had gone silent and were staring at me....oh boy, did I feel stupid, but I didn't care.

I had learned my lesson, so when Juppy put the ball in the net, I toned it down slightly.

I am not a superstitious man, but after the disappointment of 2 unhappy journeys home from Cardiff, I feel that by staying away, that contributed to us winning that day!

I missed Tottenham away in the League Cup in 06/07 season due to being in Australia. I went to the FA Cup game later that season though.

thats below the belt, have red!;)

I take it you also you will be wearing you Nobo shirt this weekend??

n1060239969_59704_4540.jpg

Last edited:
thats below the belt, have red!;)

I take it you also you will be wearing you Nobo shirt this weekend??

n1060239969_59704_4540.jpg

Notice you choose not to include the hundreds of snaps of me in my various Firlholm shirts???

In fairness I am two one up in terms of green vs red so defo a comment worth making.

Missed the start of Southend vs Millwall FA Cup game (we lost to Wednesday in the next round), as I was coming back from taking my mate and his girlfriend and my dad to Huddersfield so my mates girlfriend could see the university. This wa sthe one game I really wanted to be at as they had a minute silence at the start as my mate had died the week before.

Macclesfield vs Southend. Yes, THAT Away game... I was all set to go, then on the morning of the game I got a call saying that I had to work that night and, if I didn't turn up, I'd be sacked. At the time I was saving for a lads holiday and Uni so I really couldn't afford to be without a job, especially one that paid so well.

The texts from my mates of "Best. Game. Ever." really didn't help...

One Christmas, had a work do at London Zoo, black tie, lavish affair. Got very drunk, ended up in some Moroccan cafe around 2. Got a cab as far as I could afford, missed last train home. Ended up walking round Fenny for a few hours. Got first train home, about 10 to 5. Woke up at Thorpe Bay, walked back home. Intended to be up at 12 to get back on it - SZFC Xmas do that night, straight after game. Woke up at 3:45, to a barrage of texts. Went back to bed. I think we won. I couldn't care less at the time.

I missed Millwall away for my brother's engagement party. Normally I wouldn't mind about missing Millwall away, but this was the first game at the New Den, when we won 4-1.

Ironically I missed Millwall away the next season for his wedding!

Missed Birmingham away while I was still at uni up there because of my mate's birthday/going away for a year celebrations - seeing the scores filter through on SSN was painful.

I find the easiest way not to miss games is to not have any friends and to extricate yourself from all family ties. To make sure that nothing comes between me and SUFC I generally avoid contact with all other human beings unless absolutely necessary (club shop staff, ticket office etc). It might seem a little bit extreme but when I want to go to a midweek reserve evening kick off in Stevenage I have no one to answer to apart from my own self.

Back