• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gardeners.

Hello all

Anyone got any ideas what the going rate is for a gardener per hour.

Thanks
Dave

Depends what you expect from a gardener to be honest. Are we talking just a bit of mowing, which to be honest anybody can do, or a more professional level of lawn maintenance, or are we talking planting of beds, weeding/spraying etc? Just mowing I'd expect to pay just a few quid, after that it depends on the level of expertise you're looking for.

Depends what you expect from a gardener to be honest. Are we talking just a bit of mowing, which to be honest anybody can do, or a more professional level of lawn maintenance, or are we talking planting of beds, weeding/spraying etc? Just mowing I'd expect to pay just a few quid, after that it depends on the level of expertise you're looking for.
I really feel mugged now. Thanks

Mine charges £10 an hour and I throw in a fiver if he's done a good job - which is ALWAYS. He usually does 2-3 hours every couple of weeks. He's an artist and takes real pride in what he's doing. I know I'm pretty lucky so would suggest £12.50 an hour as a probable going rate?

In all fairness they'd also have to cover the cost and maintenance of their equipment (Petrol mowers aren't that cheap) plus a van to carry it all around in. If you consider they charge £15 for 20 minutes work for you, it may sound like £45 an hour, but how long if it takes them 30 minutes to get to you, then it works out at just under £15 per hour to cover wages, maintenance and other overheads. Plus it's seasonal work, so they need to allow for lesser earnings over winter.

The question is, would you rather £15 in your pocket, or not have to mow your own lawn?

Buy yourself a cardy, a pipe, a pair of wellys and prune away while you prepare for middle age. :cricko:

I charge 20 a hour but only do gardens on mondays,its like a day off really and i feel like im mugging clients but these brits will but these 2nd homes with the big gardens.

In all fairness they'd also have to cover the cost and maintenance of their equipment (Petrol mowers aren't that cheap) plus a van to carry it all around in. If you consider they charge £15 for 20 minutes work for you, it may sound like £45 an hour, but how long if it takes them 30 minutes to get to you, then it works out at just under £15 per hour to cover wages, maintenance and other overheads. Plus it's seasonal work, so they need to allow for lesser earnings over winter.

The question is, would you rather £15 in your pocket, or not have to mow your own lawn?
Completely understand the economics of it. He lives round the corner, but that's beside the point :smiles: he does provide equipment, and also given my hay fever I'd far rather someone else do it!

Mine charges £10 an hour and I throw in a fiver if he's done a good job - which is ALWAYS. He usually does 2-3 hours every couple of weeks. He's an artist and takes real pride in what he's doing. I know I'm pretty lucky so would suggest £12.50 an hour as a probable going rate?

Yes but you have to take into account fish-finders costs have gone through the roof recently.All those over grown lily leaves must cause some panic in your household................:smiles:

Me too slowly......thinking of a vegetable patch next year.....

Nowt wrong with that mate. Last year was a great crop - this year planted potatoes, spinach, squash, loads of herbs, chillies, courgettes, cucumbers, french beans, lettuce, tomatoes and sweetcorn. Tastes great and doesn't need that much work.

Back