• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gardening

MK Shrimper

Striker
Hello folks, as I've slipped into being an old fart I need some advice regarding gardening.

I've got a trellis that needs a good climbing plant - can anyone recommend one that's easy to take care of?

Many thanks.

And no Mad Cyril, Marajuana isn't an option. :facepalm:

Oh, and is it easy to plant an apple tree in a fairly small garden?

Hello folks, as I've slipped into being an old fart I need some advice regarding gardening.

I've got a trellis that needs a good climbing plant - can anyone recommend one that's easy to take care of?

Many thanks.

And no Mad Cyril, Marajuana isn't an option. :facepalm:

Oh, and is it easy to plant an apple tree in a fairly small garden?
I don't know myself mate, but I know someone who does. I'll get Mrs S' advice on this and get back to you on it.

Wisteria is a lovely plant, other choices could include winter jasmine, honeysuckle, clematis or passion flower. I have an apple tree in my garden, and my garden is pretty small. go for one of the old English varieties, mine is discovery which gives you beautiful sweet apples

I think an apple tree is supposed to be 10m away from the house.

The main cause of subsidence is trees extracting moisture from the subsoil and a tree is at it's thirstiest when an adolescent.

Things like wisteria can also cause problems if they are planted near the foundations rather than in a large pot.

I think an apple tree is supposed to be 10m away from the house.

The main cause of subsidence is trees extracting moisture from the subsoil and a tree is at it's thirstiest when an adolescent.

Things like wisteria can also cause problems if they are planted near the foundations rather than in a large pot.

Interesting. Someone hiding their light under a bushel :winking:

Hey Paulie - Mrs S says: "An easy plant for growing up a trellis is passionflower, which is the one we've got out the front ... the one that was rampaging all along the wall and growing through the gate until i chopped it back a bit too hard ... also honeysuckle (which we also have, it's growing up the trellis at the side of the window out the front) or clematis - these all climb up a trellis really well and don't need too much faffing around with (just an occasional trim but other than that leave them to get on with it). Another one would be Jasmin, and climbing rose - all these plants climb well and have fragrant flowers - good for sitting out in the garden. With regard to the apple tree, garden suppliers have thought of this (the small garden issue) and you can now buy fruit trees specially designed to grow in small spaces and also in pots - they grow 'up' rather than 'out' but still provide fruit. There is a specific word but I can't think of it just now. He could also train an ordinary apple tree against a wall, so that it grows flat rather than tree shaped. Needs to be a south or west facing wall, so that it gets the warmth and sun. It is a bit late in the season to be planting apples tress now - the best time is early autumn - but don't let that stop him: just don't expect any fruit for the first couple of years and maybe no flowers until at least next spring."

Climbing Hydrangea

climbing-hydrangea-35-p.jpg
images

primary.jpg

Our clematis is just coming back to life now. It's really nice, I'll take a pic later

How tall's the trellis? Is it in sun, shade, or bit of both? Are you wanting something to just grow up the trellis, or to go on and up a wall behind?

for shade, then hydrangea petiolaris is the best flowering climber. Clematis x cartmanii 'avalanche' is a nice, evergreen, early flowering Clematis, that doesn't grow too large. Clematis armandii is an evergreen, early flowering clematis that has larger leaves, and will grow bigger. Actinidia is basically an ornamental version of the kiwi, and has interesting leaves rather than flowers.

Basically, what do you want from the plant?

About 6ft high, gets a fair bit of sun, no wall behind (I'll post a photo later). Just want it too look nice without too much faffing!

Back