• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
I'm sorry but again I have to raise the issue of abusive chanting at players and the hypocrisy surrounding it.

There was a lot quite rightly made in early January of the Oldham defender being racially abused by a Liverpool "fan" on the Kop, which reduced the defender to tears, and the abuser was subsequently banned for a significant time.
I am not arguing with any of this, but watching yesterday's game at Stevenage, there was regular chanting of:-

"He looks like a chimp, he looks like a chimp, Gareth Bale, he looks like a chimp".

Nothing has been mentioned about this, either on ITV or in today's press, as far as I can see.

Am I being thick, or would this have resulted in a different reaction, if the targeted player had been say Jermaine Defoe or Neil Lennon?

Saying someone looks like a chimp isn't automatically racist, however many black people will see it as racist because it's often been used (is used) as a form of racist abuse.

Yet another fantastically ***** football song that goes to that tune. Every new song these days is just a variation of it.

Cheers, Blueblood.

I think the point I am trying to make is that as you rightly said, some things come under the umbrella of banter, and some are almost defined as being a hanging offence.
I went to both Cheltenham and Shreswbury this season, where Mohsni was receiving dog's abuse with tedious chants of "Gippo" and I even mentioned this to the police at Cheltenham, but all they did was shrug their shoulders and mutter something about guidelines.
All I am saying is lets have some CONSISTENCY. Alongside the ban on racist and homophobic abuse, you have to apply the same rules to ALL races (including anglo-saxon), disabled and over and under sized people.
Banter is a pathetic cop-out and the word should be eliminated from the English langugage.

All I am saying is lets have some CONSISTENCY. Alongside the ban on racist and homophobic abuse, you have to apply the same rules to ALL races (including anglo-saxon), disabled and over and under sized people.

A white guy getting compared to an ape isn't the same as a black guy getting compared to an ape so it's not fair to ask for consistency.

Surely you see the massive difference between the two...?

Am I being thick, or would this have resulted in a different reaction, if the targeted player had been say Jermaine Defoe or Neil Lennon?

Well of course it would have resulted in a different reaction because it's a different insult.

A white guy getting compared to an ape isn't the same as all black guys getting compared to apes so it's not fair to ask for consistency.

Surely you see the massive difference between the two...?

Well of course it would have resulted in a different reaction because it's a different insult.

I'd have phrased it as above but agree with the sentiment and also about the Gypo chanting at Bilel.

I suppose now's a bad time to suggest a monkey football XI?

I'd have phrased it as above but agree with the sentiment and also about the Gypo chanting at Bilel.

I suppose now's a bad time to suggest a monkey football XI?

Definitely put Pigsy in goal, with Monkey in midfield, Sandy in defence. Tripitaka can play Pierluigi Collina.

Sorry, they are still insults. If anything I would say the chants levelled at Bale are far MORE personal as they are laughing at his personal features. But you obviously have your own rulebook saying what does and what doesn't cross a line.

I just don't agree with it.

It's not my rulebook, it's the rulebook of society hence why it's far less socially unacceptable for thousands of people to make monkey jibes at Gareth Bale than it would be for them to make monkey jibes at Aaron Lennon or Jermain Defoe.

Do you understand why people make (or used to make) monkey noises/throw bananas at black players? Because you're kind of acting like you don't....

It's not my rulebook, it's the rulebook of society hence why it's far less socially unacceptable for thousands of people to make monkey jibes at Gareth Bale than it would be for them to make monkey jibes at Aaron Lennon or Jermain Defoe.

Do you understand why people make (or used to make) monkey noises/throw bananas at black players? Because you're kind of acting like you don't....

Are you missing the point or what? I can't even be bothered to answer your question. What I am saying is let us have a teeny weeny bit of balance in this world. It seems that it is open season to poke fun at disabled people a la that moron Ricky Gervais, but the people who delight in this are the first to put up their hands in shock horror if they experience a prejudice that they choose to oppose.
I thought my point was obvious, but apparantly not.

Your point is obvious but the example you've used to illustrate it is a horrible one. Saying that calling all black players monkeys should be allowed if having a dig at Gareth Bale's facial features is isn't "a teeny weeny bit of balance in this world".

The Mohsni/Freddy 'Gypo' stuff is a better example for the point you're making than Gareth Bale and monkey chants are.

Stupid maybe but helpful.
At least I now understand that people have prejudices that they can sleep soundly at night with, because "society" doesn't deem them to be such.
Hopefully one day you will have a more balanced and humane view.

How do you reconcile comparing claiming that black people are less evolved than white people and giving Gareth Bale/Kevin Maher/Lee Evans a ribbing for having vaguely monkey-looking features with your dream of people having balanced and humane views?

Calling Gareth Bale a monkey and calling Aaron Lennon a monkey may be using the same words but they are fundamentally different insults. They're not comparable.

Stupid maybe but helpful.
At least I now understand that people have prejudices that they can sleep soundly at night with, because "society" doesn't deem them to be such.

Racial/ethnic discrimination has led to slavery, the Holocaust, apartheid in South Africa, race riots, murder, discrimination in employment and housing etc etc.

Can you not see why this is categorised differently?

Racial/ethnic discrimination has led to slavery, the Holocaust, apartheid in South Africa, race riots, murder, discrimination in employment and housing etc etc.

Can you not see why this is categorised differently?
Oh I get it, because Gareth Bale has not been a victim of any of the above, it is fine to rib him mercilessly about his looks. Look, my last word on the subject is RESPECT. You should have respect for your fellow human beings regardless of race, sex, sexual persuasion, disability status, size etc etc. You don't make a value judgement about whether it is right or wrong to disrespect someone by saying they look like an ape, just because they are white and you can get away with it.

We are all aware of problems caused by race, but don't hold this issue up as being the only one where you must mind what you say.

Oh I get it, because Gareth Bale has not been a victim of any of the above, it is fine to rib him mercilessly about his looks. Look, my last word on the subject is RESPECT. You should have respect for your fellow human beings regardless of race, sex, sexual persuasion, disability status, size etc etc. You don't make a value judgement about whether it is right or wrong to disrespect someone by saying they look like an ape, just because they are white and you can get away with it.

We are all aware of problems caused by race, but don't hold this issue up as being the only one where you must mind what you say.

It's not fine, but it's not as big an issue as discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual persuasion etc.

That doesn't make it OK, but it makes it less of an issue and therefore less worthy of column inches. The two aren't therefore going to be treated consistently.

If it's any help, I think most people are *****, whether they be White, brown, black, yellow, green etc etc.

Oh, and this thread is stupid

Back