• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gareth Southgate, rewarding failure or providing security?

Should GS be retained?

• Yes

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
For me England have the players available to be winners, not also runners.
GS is a nice bloke but not a No.1 head honcho.
New manager or not folks?

Just seen a headline that the FA confirm he's staying. I thought that after his 'period of reflection', he may have walked. I'm pleased that SCP won't have to look for a new job though.

To be fair to GS though, it was always a tough ask to follow on from a manager with a 100% record but he did transform the side that lost against Iceland and then went onto relative success in the subsequent two tournaments. In answer to your question, Massimo, this would have been the ideal time for a new manager though. And possibly the ideal time for GS personally to have left too. I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if he and his coaching team were able to take the team all the way to real tournament success, but who knows?

Last edited:
Just seen a headline that th. Ie FA confirm he's staying thought that after his 'period of reflection', he may have walked. I'm pleased that SCP won't have to look for a new job though.

To be fair to GS though, it was always a tough ask to follow on from a manager with a 100% record but he did transform the side that lost against Iceland and then went onto relative success in the subsequent two tournaments. In answer to your question, Massimo, this would have been the ideal time for a new manager though. And possibly the ideal time for GS personally to have left too. I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if he and his coaching team were able to take the team all the way to real tournament success, but who knows?
Yeah I saw that headline too.TBH I'm rather suprised he's decided to stay.Must be a rather thankless job at times.

FWIW I'd also agree with your conclusion unless the reason why English players choke when they get to the Knock out stages of competitions (unlike the really big teams) is addressed.

Last edited:
For me it's a difficult one. I would like him to go for playing all that negative football passing sideways, back and sideways for huge parts of games. When we were clearly better going forward. The other thing is the Rashford situation, not bringing him on earlier when he was the only striker in form. But then who is available? Foreign managers and coaches do not work for England.

England definitely have the players for sure but personally we need a manager now that is more attacking minded. Southgate has done a pretty good job overall but I think even he’s realised his ability to win something is more down to chance rather having that kind of steely bold win at all cost attitude.

Unfortunately, for me it’s as they say in Thailand “Same Same but different” moving forward.

I am sure we wont win anything with GS.But would we with another manager??Suppose it would be down to who that next manager would be.
The FA want him,the majority of the media do as well. Think its 50/50 with the fans.
BUT that could change very quickly.Next game away to Italy,if we get beat again by a good team(IMO we will) there will be big pressure growing on him.
That should mean we must beat Ukraine at home....the pressure is mounting for England

I am sure we wont win anything with GS.But would we with another manager??Suppose it would be down to who that next manager would be.
The FA want him,the majority of the media do as well. Think its 50/50 with the fans.
BUT that could change very quickly.Next game away to Italy,if we get beat again by a good team(IMO we will) there will be big pressure growing on him.
That should mean we must beat Ukraine at home....the pressure is mounting for England
The thing is Oz, we just need a winner in charge, it’s as simple as that.

Yeah I saw that headline too.TBH I'm rather suprised he's decided to stay.Must be a rather thankless job at times.

FWIW I'd also agree with your conclusion unless the reason why English players choke when they get to the Knock out stages of competitions (unlike the really big teams) is adressed.
What ‘really big’ teams? Nigh on every team has come a cropper in tournaments over the years in the knock-out stages, its not just just England who have problems.

What ‘really big’ teams? Nigh on every team has come a cropper in tournaments over the years in the knock-out stages, its not just just England who have problems.
Quite.

A while back everyone was asking, 'Why can't we be as successful as Germany?'

Well, Germany have won 4 WC's, but for the second tournament running they have failed to get out of their Group... Italy even failed to qualify for the tournament...

I think, at this WC, Germany will also be joined by the supporters of Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, and Brazil as feeling their national sides have failed or underperformed.

Last edited:
I think people overrate our players, our attackers absolutely are world class but our defence and midfield aren't, it speaks volumes that Jordan Henderson was one of our best players in the world cup despite not even being a regular starter for Liverpool anymore. We've got about as far as I think we should on paper, which for me is a big improvement on the crap we had before Southgate came in.

There is still a lot yet to come from Southgate and his England team. When you look at his tournament results they are far better than the managers immediately before him. This current squad are now more than capable of wining the next Euros tournament, and I expect them to be up there again.

I really don't think Southgate is there as a traditional manager.

I think he is just the public face of a system that uses stats and analysis to pick the best team.

I feel appointing a big name club manager with an ego would be a big step backwards.

I really don't think Southgate is there as a traditional manager.

I think he is just the public face of a system that uses stats and analysis to pick the best team.

I feel appointing a big name club manager with an ego would be a big step backwards.
I think you have it half correct.
GS does present well, is honest and articulate, he is "safe" and fits the non emotional, FA agenda to move the game up market and into more main stream ,family, non alpha male areas for increasing revenues and audience.

Quite.

A while back everyone was asking, 'Why can't we be as successful as Germany?'

Well, Germany have won 4 WC's, but for the second tournament running they have failed to get out of their Group... Italy even failed to qualify for the tournament...

I think, at this WC, Germany will also be joined by the supporters of Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, and Brazil as feeling their national sides have failed or underperformed.
To be fair,i think Germany,Spain,Brazil will reach or win a final long before England will
Also i think most England managers would love to have that luck we have had in the draw`s GS has had....This Euro draw is by far his hardest..lets see..and hope

Back