• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Gary Borrowdale

EastStandBlue

Life President
Just heard from my QPR supporting mate that we're supposed to be taking him on loan for a month initially as he looks to regain some fitness. Predominately a left back, but could play left wing at a push.

Would be a good signing, but i agree, got to feel sorry for Herd, i think he has done so well at left-back and the two games against Chelsea it would look like he'll make that spot hes own.

Still Gary Borrowdale would do well for us i think. Good to see us trying to bring known players in.

Agree with Dave the Shrimper - Herd deserves a run i9n the side and is one of the bright spots we have at the moment - please lets not knock his enthusiasm and confidence by getting in a replacement loanee at left full back!!

Whilst I agree that Herd has done very well in the games he's played, I would be a little concerned about his lasting the pace for the entire rest of the season as he isn't the beefiest looking young player I've seen. It's going to be a tough few months IMO & perhaps Tilly doesn't want to burn him out too early.

I heard this one from a mate yesterday.

Pretty sure it would be a good signing, haven't seen much of him recently.

Would be a great signing

Personally i think herdy could do with a loan out next season when we hopefully have more of a squad, not saying hes bad, just could improve, and not as good as borrowdale

I'd be quite concerned that he'd come in, play some games and just begin to regain some form before being called back to QPR, although I would like to see us have some cover on the left side for the inexperienced (but currently very promising) Johnny Herd. Still not sure about short term loan signings though.

Whilst I agree that Herd has done very well in the games he's played, I would be a little concerned about his lasting the pace for the entire rest of the season as he isn't the beefiest looking young player I've seen. It's going to be a tough few months IMO & perhaps Tilly doesn't want to burn him out too early.

I completely agree. Herd has done very well and looks to have a lot of potential but I feel he should be eased in rather than thrown in the deep end where he could well end up drowning.

I completely agree. Herd has done very well and looks to have a lot of potential but I feel he should be eased in rather than thrown in the deep end where he could well end up drowning.

That's exactly my thinking.

Tilson has already commented this week on how badly affected Walker was by some harsh criticism he recieved, and if results continue to go not in our favour then the fans are likely to get restless... All it'd take would be 1 error by Herd for him to become a target.

That's exactly my thinking.

Tilson has already commented this week on how badly affected Walker was by some harsh criticism he recieved, and if results continue to go not in our favour then the fans are likely to get restless... All it'd take would be 1 error by Herd for him to become a target.

Couldnt agree more, Herd will be targeted by some fans because he the "new kid" on the block. Not sure if i agree with sending him out on loan, he should be kept at the club incase needed. I would say maybe an expierence left back to come in and maybe let Herd learn from him for a season of something?

I don't think that Johnny is likely to be a target for from the fans. In fact I think he'll get nothing but good will even if he does make mistakes. But my concern is that the confidence that he's shown in the past couple of months could be completely destroyed if we continue to be on a bad run.

Plus, as Tilly said the other night he, along with the other kids, are naive and will make mistakes. They're still learning their trade and shouldn't be relied upon to get us out of what potentially could be a relegation dogfight. I'd be happier seeing an experienced left back come in and play most matches and then give Herd a few more matches towards the end of the season if/when safety is assured.

Look at Wengers handling of Walcott. He could have thrown him in but he gave him a few tastes of the action until he was ready and now he's England's latest saviour.

Dont get too excited we had him on loan from Coventry when kit Symons was in charge earlier this season, he only played 4 games before we sent him back, lets just say he was not very good!

I know someone mentioned Borrowdale playing on the wing at a push... it's a possible option for Herd too, he looks useful going forward and it would take a bit of pressure off of him. Don't know if he's played further forward in the ressies/youths though. In any case, getting any players in looks like a plus at the moment.

I know someone mentioned Borrowdale playing on the wing at a push... it's a possible option for Herd too, he looks useful going forward and it would take a bit of pressure off of him. Don't know if he's played further forward in the ressies/youths though. In any case, getting any players in looks like a plus at the moment.

I was thinking along similar lines. Apart from Herd we don't have a single left-footer (as far as I'm aware) so it's possible Borrowdale (if it's true) may be earmarked to play in tandem with Herd as a short-term measure.

Ron Martin said in the BBC interview that left-midfield is one area we want to strengthen as a priority but presumably our main target was Bradley Johnson, and that was always going to be unlikely.

This appeared in the Express yesterday (along with us going for Chris Dickson), so it looks plausible.

Back