• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Moore R.I.P

That's very sad news, saw many of his goals, a winner at Southport springs to mind (if my memory is correct), I was right behind the goal! (As I was for the Brentford hole in the net 'goal', was that Gary?)

After scrounging a lift in the team coach after a 4-0 defeat at, yes, Grimsby, on a cold Tuesday evening, they stopped for food on the way back & Gary offered me some of his chips ?

R.I.P. Gary

The club have been told (and asked to let Grimsby know too), hopefully our media team will post up a tribute on the club website. Also informed BT Sport and BBC Essex

Via SUEPA channels we've also let Billy and Bill know plus Micky Beesley.

Seems there was no news of it before on the internet, we were informed today by Spud (Gary used to do a bit of scouting for him)

Such sad news, many of us grew up watching that iconic Best-Moore-Garner forward line (and I don't think there has ever been a better Roots Hall striker combo) and it was a hope at one point that we'd get all three back to Roots Hall, what a reception that would have been.

A few Gary pics up on the SUEPA Facebook page

RIP Gary, forever a Shrimper

Thought some of you might be interested in this, a list I've used for SUEPA purposes re our all time top 50 goalscorers. Gary is 18th.
Sadly no recent signs of any need to change this list.
135 ROY HOLLIS (deceased)

123 BILLY BEST (in SUEPA)

100 JIMMY SHANKLY (deceased)

99 SAMMY McCRORY (deceased)

77 FREDDY EASTWOOD (in SUEPA)

76 BILLY HICK (deceased)

75 HARRY LANE (deceased)

72 STEVE PHILLIPS (in SUEPA)

69 DAVID CROWN (in SUEPA)

69 ALBERT WAKEFIELD (deceased)

66 JOHN McKINVEN (deceased)

64 CYRIL GRANT (deceased)

63 BARRY CORR (in SUEPA)

63 BRETT ANGELL (in SUEPA)

58 DICKIE DONOVEN (deceased)

57 RAY J.SMITH (deceased)

56 RICHARD CADETTE (in SUEPA)

55 GARY MOORE (in SUEPA)

51 DERRICK PARKER (in SUEPA)

49 MICKEY BEESLEY (in SUEPA)

48 LES STUBBS (deceased)

47 LEO STEVENS (deceased)

47 BILL GARNER (in SUEPA)

46 KEVIN BARON (deceased)

45 SIMON COX (in SUEPA)

44 ALAN MOODY (in SUEPA)

44 JOE SIBLEY (deceased)

43 STUART BRACE (in SUEPA)

43 GLENN PENNYFATHER (in SUEPA)

42 FRED BARON (deceased)

42 DUGGIE PRICE (deceased)

41 CYRIL THOMPSON (deceased)

41 MARK GOWER (in SUEPA)

40 CHRIS GUTHRIE (in SUEPA)

40 ROY McDONOUGH (in SUEPA)

40 TES BRAMBLE (in SUEPA)

39 LEE BARNARD (in SUEPA)

38 TERRY JOHNSON (in SUEPA)

38 FRED BARNETT (deceased)

38 ANDY ANSAH (in SUEPA)

37 IAN BENJAMIN (in SUEPA)

37 PETER SILVESTER (in SUEPA)

36 KEITH MERCER (in SUEPA)

36 JOHN McGUIGAN (deceased)

36 KEN JONES (in SUEPA)

36 MARTIN LING (in SUEPA)

35 BOBBY GILFILLAN (deceased)

35 BILLY GOODWIN (deceased)

35 RONNIE POUNTNEY (in SUEPA)

34 DEREK SPENCE (in SUEPA)

Very sad news,

Gary played for Southend United between 1968-74 starting 172 times with 9 Sub appearances scoring 55 goals..

Gary Moore RIP.jpg
Gary Moore RIP

Gary Moore 2.jpg
Gary Moore RIP

Gary Moore RIP 3.png
Gary Moore RIP​

Gary was born in the small Durham mining village of South Hetton and gained school representative honours with Sunderland Boys and Durham County Boys, he then signed for Sunderland as an amateur when he was still 15. At 16 he played for the England Youth Team and became a full time professional at 17. After six seasons at Roker Park, Gary was transferred to Grimsby, where he notched up 15 goals in an 18 months stay. When he arrived at Roots Hall, he was yet another in the long line of North-countrymen to move to Southend in an effort to find fame and fortune with United. Over the years he has given great service to Southend, both as a goal scorer and in midfield.

Hobbies were: golf, gardening and reading.

A very sad day indeed.
Fantastic memories especially that great FA cup year when we won 10.1 and 9.0. Went to a friend's 18tj Birthday Party on Canvey the night of the 10.1 win and did we celebrate to The sound of Jimmy Hendricks All along the warchtower. As someone has said what a duo Best and Moore.
Hope the team will wear black arm bands tonight.

What a combination Best and Moore were in there day.I remember one particular game against Brentford at the Hall and there was a set to on the halfway line just in front of the West Stand, Moore and the Brentford centre back who's name escapes me were having a punch up,the referee looked at them and thought well there off the pitch I am not going to interfere and just let them sort it out themselves.Obviously it wouldn't happen today and both would probably be sent off.

What a combination Best and Moore were in there day.I remember one particular game against Brentford at the Hall and there was a set to on the halfway line just in front of the West Stand, Moore and the Brentford centre back who's name escapes me were having a punch up,the referee looked at them and thought well there off the pitch I am not going to interfere and just let them sort it out themselves.Obviously it wouldn't happen today and both would probably be sent off.
Rip Gary, the understated half of a great double act x

That's very sad news, saw many of his goals, a winner at Southport springs to mind (if my memory is correct), I was right behind the goal! (As I was for the Brentford hole in the net 'goal', was that Gary?)

After scrounging a lift in the team coach after a 4-0 defeat at, yes, Grimsby, on a cold Tuesday evening, they stopped for food on the way back & Gary offered me some of his chips ?

R.I.P. Gary
Yes it was

I was also at that match and standing almost dead in line with the goal post from the side of the pitch.
The Ball smashed against the back wall but whether inside or outside the net.
I certainly do not know.

Back